Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I know this is off topic, but a lot of us that post here also post over at Marlinowners.com. It seems the site has been hacked, I can't even get the webpage to load correctly. Has anyone else noticed this, has anyone been contacted by the owner giving any info. Just wanted to get the word out and see if anyone else had some idea of what happened.

-Matt

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I just tried to log on to Marlin owners, and a box came up with some kind of gibberish, and I could not proceed. I thought at first that my computer had a problem. I hope things get fixed over there without much problem.

"Keep up the fire!"
Motto of the U.S. Ninth Infantry Regiment
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Haven't been able to get on either. Hopefully,one of the moderators will notice soon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Larry is aware of it, but I'm afraid it may be a catastrophic loss of data. Depends on his back up capabilities. PETA/anti-hunting types have been targeting hunting forums with several kinds of hacks. Perhaps pro-hunting computer saavy persons should return the favor?

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
They should be able to track the culprits. There's just no call for that kind of hacking. Don't know if the FBI gets involved in that kind of thing but it should be a federal felony. That person should spend some YEARS in jail.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes I have noticed it.

The good news is that the data is not lost. I have managed to read threads that I was intrested in. The hack has to do with the MAIN FORUM page only.

To bypass the hack when at the login page (or anyother) select an option from the top of the page. I use SEARCH and that gets me directly into the seach function and I can pull up any thread on the board I am looking for.

From my investigation it appears to have happend sometime shortly after 1pm yesterday (1 Dec. 2005).

If the forum owner can find the right help he should be able to get it up within a day with out any loss of data.

If he needs any help getting in contact with someone capable of doing so, I could give a name or two. Have him or someone else drop me a PM and I send the names with contact info out via email or PM.

..pick..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can read the forum if you disable Javascript in your IE browser. Tools...Internet Options...Security...Custom Level...Scripting...Disable Then close IE and start it again.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That hacker may go by the name "ziox" judging from the stuff they left over at MO. A simple Google search for "ziox" brings up a blog site with a poster by that name. If anyone is interested and knows enough about sleuthing this out - and wants to provide that site with an "in" into their computer - you can try here:

http://beta.mapleprimes.com/blog/ziox

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well it looks like at least you can go there and post now, I just did so. There still is that shell code message thing, and there still might be a chance of picking up some virus or something from there so go at your own risk. Hopefully Larry will have it up 100% soon.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
While the regular bunch at Marlinowners have pissed off their fair share of prohunting/gun posters, I do not wish hacking on any Forum. At least they can now narrow down the list of possible culprits.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
bearmgc, and just how is that? There are a lot of hunters on
the Marlin Forum.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
One of their forum sections was discontinued awhile back, because they couldnot/wouldnot maintain civility. Personal attacks were so frequent and off topic, the number of new posters became null at one point, and those new posters who were brave enough to respond, were prefacing their comments with 'please don't jump on me' or something similar.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think they got a couple of trolls hey don't have the moderators that many forums have and as a result have had a couple of problems, as a last resort Larry will step in and boot someone off which is I believe how that was handled. But you implied the forum was not hunter friendly and that is absolutely not the case.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was making the distinction between "antis" and "hunters", who were posting, and posts that I read were not flamers, but guys just giving an opinion on a topic. It was the regulars that were being uncivil, and making personal attacks. Rather than boot the regulars, he shut down the whole section- I think it was called 'Campfire Forum, or something like that.

Last edited by bearmgc; 12/08/05.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
marlinowners forum has been hacked....again! Looks like the same idiot's handywork as before.

Last edited by LDThornton; 12/15/05.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's the same person again. I did a google search for rotton.exe and this was found on another web site

rotten.exe
This is just a hack from ziOxbb rotten.exe

[color:"brown"]
"JB"

"I like it mild, not wild"
[/color]
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
GET A ROPE!!!!!!!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 12344mag, 219DW, 1OntarioJim, 45 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,133
Posts18,483,919
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.