Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Mudhen

Did that bison heifer ever breed to a herd bull?

Hondo64d

They have moose just over the mountain in Creede, and at least one of them got across Rio Grande Gorge and into downtown Taos some 15 or so years ago so Pagosa would just be a day trip.

Signage all over in the Platoro area during elk season so folks could tell Moose from Elk. One spotted in the Rocky Mountain Lodge area on the Conejos one year.

Heck we have east TN or Arkansas bears pass though middle TN every few years.

Last edited by LouisB; 06/11/12.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a kid in N. WI my dad went out with my younger sisters for a walk. He carried his .30-30 with him. My older sis and I decided to run ahead and 'spy' on them. We asked dad if he was going to do any target shooting and he said 'no' he was carrying it 'just in case'. We were hiding on the other side of a bigbrush pile when we heard two shots go off. We took off like lightning back to the house wondering what beast dad had shot at. Turned out it was a juvenile wolverine that came from the brushpile my sis and I were hiding behind. My dad wasn't sure what it was at first and it kept following him and the younger girls back toward the house. He picked up a stout stick and threw it at it hitting it and it kept coming. He feared possible rabies and with the girls plus assorted animals back at the house he shot it. Only discovered later it was a wolverine.

In what would have been a "shouldn't have been there' case, when I called my Mom for Mothers day she mentioned that two weeks earlier she had heard a thunk outside and her little poodle went nuts. Thinking it was a car door slamming from a guest she went to the picture window to see a black bear sow with her two cubs who were climbing the tree about 15' from the front door! She does have neighbors and it surprised me that the bears would be that bold nowadays.

However, as regards to the OP without a doubt the weirdest thing I saw was an emu in the high desert of Idaho. We were out (waaay out there) riding on dirt bikes and came over a hill to see this large bird. It was one of those classic cases of brain freeze where your forebrain wrestles with your sub-concious. My sub-soncious says "it's an emu and it escaped from some farm/ranch somewhere" but your forebrain is saying "what the hell?!" Very weird. Often wondered if that thing survived the winter/predators.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Two legged critters on ATV's.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter

Now THAT is appropo! laugh Damn straight! One reason I like hunting the Frank Church Wilderness.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LouisB
Mudhen

Did that bison heifer ever breed to a herd bull?

Not that we ever knew...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by AZBob
A javelina on the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Their range keeps expanding north.

where that got started was in the 70's when az game and fish as an experiment turned some loose around prescott to see if they would live. They did. I see javelina up around williams now on a regular basis.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by DHN
Javelina on the Mogollon rim north of Payson, mid '70s.

A wolf in Arizona's Bradshaw Mountains, in 1978.

Tracks of at least four wolves in the southern Gravelly range, 1991.

One set of wolf tracks between Avon and Helmville the same year.

I answered on another post on the javelina, the wolf is interesting. My family has lived in the bradshaw mt area since the early 1900's. My dad use to tell me of running into wolves while pushing cattle in there in the 20's and 30's long after they were supposedly shot out. In the 70's living in prescott we had a black lepoard show up in our back yard, and i have seen other cats in the area that are suppose to be extinct. As to elk, we now have them living in the desert around lake alamo and they have made in down south of phoenix into the desert. We also have otters living 50 miles north of towntown phoenix.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 06/13/12.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by kawi
Well a beaver out in my farm ground, or a porcipine playing paws with the rockchucks all were some time from where they should be.

I just love it when strange beaver enters my home grin

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I was in Boulder CO last week and saw another Republican. We both just stood there in shock, I dont know who was more surprised

Thank God...maybe if enough find their way there, we can rid the state of the cursed liberals.

K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Ever see a redfox 15maybe20 feet up an pinetree? The next day the tree was empty.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bullets4yogi
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I was in Boulder CO last week and saw another Republican. We both just stood there in shock, I dont know who was more surprised

Thank God...maybe if enough find their way there, we can rid the state of the cursed liberals.
Sir, that is just a B.S. story. I don't believe it for one second! laugh

K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Ding Dongs say so much.!

K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Ding Dong's say so,mush!

K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Crap .

K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Sorry all! That was not me! Don,t ever leave this on when freinds show up.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter

Ain't that the truth.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
I chit you not, I once saw a homosexual at a gun range. shocked

He had a pink concealed carry pistol and was popping targets from less than five yards away. I wish I took a picture.

Your point is????

There is a gay gun-rights organization called "The Pink Pistols".

I can't feel threatened by them. I do feel threatened by anti-gun folks....

Maybe I'm more secure in my masculanity than I feel in my gun ownership rights...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
A wolverine in Colorado in 1979. Came to within 15' of me when I was bear hunting near Parshall. The DOW considered it a confirmed siting and recorded it in one of their books on wildlife of Colorado.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I was fishing a creek near my house as a kid and I saw a Mt. Lion on hwy 2 outside of Proctor, MN. Nobody believed me until there was another sighting a bit down the same highway and the story was on the news.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SamOlson
There was a report of a mangey cougar down at the Elk's last night.

Check the pelt for bugs.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, BamaCKC, Barryt, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,202 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,233
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.