Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ok, so i was surfing and saw a pretty reasoably priced Remmy, but they mentioned "Chatter marks in bore." SO I cnotacted them and go this explanation:

The chatter marks are machining marks running throughout the bore.
We've contacted Remington about another rifle with similar marks, and
they've assured us that it doesn't affect the functioning of the
rifle, and that it was a result of their machining process. Most bores
don't show these marks though, so we disclose it in the auction
description.

WTF? I got a pic or two, I will try to post it - anyone ever hear of this and will it affect accuracy?

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
GB1

iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am having trouble with photobucket - they limit access to it here at work - ther are very definite marks in the bore - if someone can help, I will email the pics to them so they can post

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have heard of chatter marks in a chamber, but not in a bore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When the M700 Ti rifles came out I was keen to get one in 30-06. Problem was every one I looked at had these "chatter marks" in the bore just as described here. It seemed to be unique to the Ti rifles in 30-06 caliber as I have not seen it in other Remmy rifles. It was enough to scare me off from buying one of the expensive little bastards.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
gun is a mountain rifle, and the pic is of the muzzle and it is very much there

_
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Don't need to buy that at all. Not good thing.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If the marks are only at the muzzle, then chop and re-crown?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
If the marks are only at the muzzle, then chop and re-crown?

OP says it runs thought the bore.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Then I'd pass.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have heard of chatter marks in a chamber, but not in a bore.

OP, chamber or bore marks, I wouldn't touch it.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
My .260 Remington and my friends 30/06 both have chatter marks all the way through the bore. Both are Mountain Rifles also. My gun is a .75" shooter with stuff it likes his is 1" - 1.5" with factory stuff.

They are a real bitch to clean and copper up really quickly.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have no idea what they are referring to, but I can tell you that sometimes hammer forged barrels will have 'chatter marks' in the lands and/or grooves which are the result of how the hammers and mandrel are set up/oriented relative to one another.

Check the papers I linked to here:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread..._button_vs_good_hammer_forge#Post6325697

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The chatter marks in chambers that I spoke were in custom rifles. I figured that chatter marks on factory rifles would
get caught before leaving the factory. Then again I have heard of a Savage M110 that was NIB not drilled and tapped and no
iron sights.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everybody needs to figure out how to put those chatter marks in their barrels since nothing shoots as good as a Remington.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Isn't that the patented Remington ratchet rifling I'm always hearing about ?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
When the M700 Ti rifles came out I was keen to get one in 30-06. Problem was every one I looked at had these "chatter marks" in the bore just as described here. It seemed to be unique to the Ti rifles in 30-06 caliber as I have not seen it in other Remmy rifles. It was enough to scare me off from buying one of the expensive little bastards.

This! I bought an early 30-06 Titanium. Before taking it to the range I ran a patch down the bore and found chatter the length of the bore - both the lands and grooves. I had the dealer send it back. After waitng months I finally got it back... but it wasn't my original rifle (different serial #) and the bore wasn't much better. I raised royal you-know-what and they finally sent one which they said was assembled by the custom shop with a LOW serial number. Every 06' Ti I looked at for awhile exhibited this same chatter to varying degrees but that first one was truly horrific.

I even bought a take-off barrel and specifically asked the seller if it had any chatter. He said no, but it did. I have also seen the condition in at least one 7mm-08 Ti. My .270 Ti was OK but had an imperfection in the chamber and now wears a Hart bbl. - Captain -

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems like Remington has their fair share of tooling mark problems.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've seen chatter marks on a lot of the recent Marlin barrels coming out of Kentucky on their bolt rifles. If I hadn't also seen it on some earlier Marlin guide guns, I might allow it as being a Remington innovation. Maybe it reduces friction? It hasn't seemed to adversely affect accuracy and most of those barrels clean up normally. It does look sloppy though.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm sure the chatter marks are NOT supposed to be there. I bet Remington wishes they weren't as well. The one which I initially had was so bad it looked like a coarse file - appalling. I don't see how/why it left the factory. - Captain -

Last edited by Captain; 06/14/12.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Everybody needs to figure out how to put those chatter marks in their barrels since nothing shoots as good as a Remington.

They put them there on purpose.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,887
Posts18,518,291
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.