Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Opinions on TC Encores.....What do you think of them? I know they're not quite a No. 1, or even a Highwall....but they do have versatility. Don't hold back.....tell me what you really think....

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by John_Boy
Opinions on TC Encores.....I know they're not quite a No. 1, or even a Highwall....

I have owned a couple #1's over the years and probably a dozen Encores, and I still have a couple Encores but NO #1's.

I have one Encore with a T/C custom shop 270 Win that shoots one hole "groups" all day with factory Win Supreme 140 gr Accubond ammo, and my other has a MGM barrel in 9.3x74r and is scary accurate. I consistently shoot 500 yard silouettes with it.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by retrieverman; 06/14/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I keep thinking about one, but I sure hear some mixed reviews.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
have had several and had great luck with them, always under an inch. just get bored and want to try new things.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
damn, now ya got me shopping gunbroker...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
GOOD, shopping is good for the economy and the gun safe..... cool

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
bought a walnut stocked encore just now on GB with muzzleloader barrel, $440. can't beat it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
bought a walnut stocked encore just now on GB with muzzleloader barrel, $440.

Great buy!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've had an Encore for 8 years. I bought it because it gave me the ability to switch barrels and I liked the compactness. The MZ barrel was very particular but once I found the right bullet/powder combo it consistanly delivers 3 shots into an inch. My best group at 150 yards was 1.5 inches. I also have a 270 barrel and it has been 1 inch shooter out of the box with factory ammo and tightens up w/handloads.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I bought two Encores about 8 years ago. I've had a total of 9 different barrels for them. Two happened to be 35 Whelen barrels bought from Midway. In 2008 Mississippi legalized the Encores, .35 cal. and up, for primitive deer season. Since then, the 35 Whelen barrels have not come off. To be honest, I've found that cartridge did all the other calibers did so I sold them.

In a moment of weakness I gave one to my brother. I didn't like not having a spare so I bought another one. I now load for my two, my brother and his in law. I've had no problem getting 1 inch groups with any of them.

I like Encores and break open single shots in general for their compactness, utility, simplicity and performance. Pick one up, you will probably like it.

IC B3

A
ARG Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Having shot TC for years, I have played with the Encore for a while. I have shot everything from a 17 Remington to 375HH and really liked the interchanging barrels, and at the time I was getting barrels for under $200. The 375HH barrel was a boomer and I would not shoot something that large without custom wood and padding. I really loved my compact 243 and 30 cal barrels, as did the younger shooters. At one time I was at 11 barrels and 4 frames. Now, I do not shoot the Encore as I have moved to exclusively Contenders and bolt guns. I have found that for the hunting I do, the Contender has a caliber that works, and if not I have a bolt gun which will work.

My biggest issue with the Encore was the trigger. The factory trigger was not up to my standards, and unlike the Contender, I could not play with it easily at home and adjust to my liking. I had different TC friends do trigger jobs for me and eventually I had a nice trigger.

The price on the barrels has gone up, but there are also more options available now than a few years ago. I am not sure I would get into an Encore again as I would have to dump a few thousand into just a few frames, barrels, and decent grips, and the value is not there like it was. I have had a heck of a time with TC in regards to their warranty, parts, and service since they were taken over by S&W, and I am not sure I want to delve deeper.

As for durability, I was never worried about my Encore failing me in any way. I missed one animal out of many with an Encore, and that was my fault 100%. As a lover of off-path calibers, the Encore was wonderful, as it was so easy to load for and barrels could be found (or made).

Overall, to me, the Encore was worth it when TC still ran the shop. I have seen and heard mixed reviews in dealing with TC lately, but the Encore is a wonderful tool if you want to spend the $$.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If you can get past the ugly, they are pretty good guns. I can't get past the ugly...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I played with them for quite a while. Killed a lot of deer with a ML setup. Had a custom .308 that had the best trigger of any gun I've ever shot...it was also a 1 holer. Never had trouble getting any of the barrels to shoot well. I just prefer bolt guns.....

I do still use the Encore for turkey hunting. The single shot turkey barrel is light and shoots great. Works well for the way I hunt turkeys...recoil sucks though!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've bought an Encore in 30-06 and a spare barrel in .270. I'll be adding some others. I'm trying them due to the ability to do wildcat or unique calibers at a lower cost than the investment in another full rifle. One of the barrels I'll be buying will be a 22-250 with a 1:8 twist, or a 22x57 in 1:9 twist, or.....well yoa'll understand the sickness. Thanks for all the good feedback.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
The ones I have used all shot well. The system of changing barrels is simple and works great. I personaly dont like the way they balance, the weight, or the looks of them.

Hang on tight !
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
True, Rugers have more panache...but the Encores appeal to the thrifty (cheap) side of me. One action, many barrels. Kinda like the old double shotguns with extra barrels..... wink

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have a Pro Hunter Frame (with standard Synthetic Encore Buttstock & Forend) with 2 24" Stainless Steel Barrels, 1 in .223 Remington and 1 in .30-06. I did have to put a shim behind the breech block in my frame to tighten up the headspace a bit and I had my Synthetic Forend Pillar Bedded. The biggest problem for me has been getting the right scope base and ring combo so I can get the scope far enough forward for me. I solved that problem with MGW Picatinny Scope Rails for the Encore. They are a bit longer and solved my problem.

Both of my barrels took a bit of breaking in and didn't really start shooting decent until I had more than 50 rounds through them. Also both of my barrels don't start shooting their best after cleaning until I get 12 - 15 rounds through them. Then they settle in and shoot MOA or better groups.

Larry

love my pro hunter in 25-06 I used a Talley picatinny rail and nightforce rings and scope and it is a drill.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GF1
If you can get past the ugly, they are pretty good guns. I can't get past the ugly...

That's pretty much where I am. I've looked at these used again and again, but I have a nice Contender carbine for smaller cartridges and other nice single shots for the larger centerfires, so I just don't need an ugly rifle in my closet.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My sister-in-law has one in .308 and she loves it. Solid big game rifle.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,891
Posts18,479,187
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.