Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Just bought a Ruger 77 MK II in 7mm-08, and need a scope for it. Went to the Midway site and checked out the price on Leupold. A VX-1 3-9X40 is $200.
But I remembered the article by John B. about the new Simmons Master series. He gave it a good rating. The Master Series Aetec 2.8-10 X 44 is $190.
Both are fully multicoated, the Leupold doesn't have click-adjustments on the turrets, but that is not an issue for me. The Simmons has a rainguard-type coating which is a plus.
All my current scopes are Leupolds, and I've never had a problem with one. But the Master Series line is supposed to be new technology.
I want to get the rifle up and running, so need to decide soon. This price range is what I can afford.
And anyone who cares to belittle my choices, I will gladly PM them my home address so they can put their money where their mouth is, and send me a check for $400, and I'll chip in my $200 and buy a Leupold VX-3, or whatever they recommend.
I just need honest opinions.

Joearcher
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beware that the Aetec 2.5-10 that I have is very short on the main tube. It required extension rings on a M70 long action.

For a scope that big I would get a 3-9 Zeiss Conquest for its superior optics. Buy it once and you will always have it on some rifle. That rifle you have a Ziess on is most likely your best gun that you take when you really have to get something. The Conquest line is big and heavy however.

I still want a smaller Conquest. I would buy a half dozen of them for starters.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would get a Weaver V series. They are around $150 right now at Natchez Shooter Supply. I bought one and it really is a good scope for the money. Worth a look. Otherwise i think i would opt for the Leupold.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
why not an elite 3200???

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Others have listed some nice choices, but between the two your interested in, I'd go with he VX-I ... for the waranty issues should one arrise. Now if we were talking about a $50-75 difference in price I may lean towards the simmons.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Are you sure the VX-1 is fully multicoated ? I didn't think they was.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
The rifle is a short action, nevertheless, the Aetec may limit my ability to set the eye relief properly. I wish scope mfrs would publish the length of the tube for that reason.
The Master series is supposed to do away with bias springs, and is said to have less moving parts. John B. put it on a large caliber magnum rifle, his 'scope destroyer' and it did survive. Wish I could find the issue the story appeared in. I'll search the Wolfe web site later.
Thanks to all for the comments. I have never had to test Leupold's warranty or customer service, and that DOES mean a lot.

Joearcher
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you sure the VX-1 is fully multicoated ? I didn't think they was.

Not sure about "fully multicoated". Went to Leupold's website and the VX-1 series has a "standard multicoat lens system" whatever that means. The Rifleman series has a "fully coated lens system".

Leupold Scope Feature Matrix

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
VX-1s are the old VX-IIs without click adjustments. They are fully multi-coated but they use the old coatings whereas, the new VX-IIs use the MC-4 coatings or whatever they call it. The new VX-IIs are basically the old Vari-X IIIs. The Rifleman is the old Vari-X II without full multicoating and using magnesium flouride coatings. Fully multicoated means all lenses surfaces are coated inside and out. Fully coated means all outside surfaces are coated.

Therefore, the VX-I is fully multicoated with the old coatings, better than magnesium flouride, but not as good as the MC-4. As you note, it doesn't have click adjustments, but otherwise it is the old VX-II.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the Leupold VXI is equipped with multicoating only upon the ocular and objective lenses, with standard MgF on the internal ones. Still an excellent scope, and only down a couple of percentage points on light transmission.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
John Barsness' article on the new Simmons Master Series scopes appeared in the Nov-Dec 2005 issue Of Rifle, issue# 222. His article covered the 'Simmons Master Series ProHunter 3-9 X 40'. I quote him from page 14:
"The Simmons, however, is a darn nice scope, not only tough but with multicoated lenses throughout. At the moment I do not know of a better scope for the money. In fact, I can't think of one as good, and intend to own one myself as soon as possible." (emphasis mine).
We all know John, and his reputation is impeccable. He knows his optics, and has used most every brand there is. I took his advice a couple of years ago, and bought a Bushnell binocular that he had reviewed. With that, I ordered a Master series ProHunter 3-9 X 40 from Bass Pro Shops today, price was $119.99, and will let you all know what I find. I'm betting I won't be disappointed.

Joearcher
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just got back in town after being away for my son's wedding. The Simmons Master Class Pro-Hunter 3x9 that I ordered was waiting for me. I won't have a chance to mount and test it for quite awhile, but I'll report back when I do. My first impression is that it's ugly with its "Euro" styling and mushroom shaped adjustment covers, but pretty is as pretty does, so we'll just have to see. It seems to be a well thought out design, with good ergonomics, but I wouldn't put it on a "lookin' good" classic rifle. For $100 I'll find something useful for it to do The Simmons/Meade warranty sounds great, but I hope I won't have to use it. I know Leupold's is great because I've had to use it often enough. Hmm, maybe there's a lesson there.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How long is that scope? Simmons own website doesn't list the length.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Length is about 12" with the eyepiece focus all the way in. Cranked out adds about another half inch. Distance between the bells for mounting spread is a hair under 6", which is a bit more generous than the aforementioned Vari-X III 2.5x8.

Last edited by Paul39; 12/05/05.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have the older AETEC, and I have a new Master Series Prohunter.

The new AETECs may be different, but the old ones suffered from excessive distortion, and the reticle is overly fat. Still, they were a good value for the dollar.

I'm happier with the ProHunter.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would second the Weaver Classic series of scopes. They are less money and have performed great for me. On a 7mm-08 you could get a really nice 4x or 6x for around $125 or a variable for under $160. Great glass for the money.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I just ordered a Weaver V10 (2x10-38) for $155. I already own a V9 and it is great. If i am going cheap i go Weaver, otherwise it is Nikon etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dogcatcher, Your last post mirrors my feelings exactly. They are both fine scopes.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
FWIW:

The warranty issue is a big point.

Overall weight is a big point.

Leupold usually wins on these issues. That's why Leupies are "better."

They are a very good "package" as to optical quality, lightweight, reliability, and warranty service.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1234, 67 invisible), 16,972 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,189
Posts18,543,388
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.