Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
looking for thoughts, comments, experiences with either or both.
The good the bad the ugly as well as preferences.

Looking to use it for close up song dogs, Rock Chucks and Gophers.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have owned and loaded for two 700's and two T/C barrels in .17 Rem.

I do not see any advantage to the Fireball as all the Rem's I've shot, shot very well at reduced speeds.

Once you spend some time with one in the field, it's hard to be without one.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Agree with Travis.

My main calling rig is a Sako 75 Hunter in .17 Rem. I absolutely love the 17 Rem and never really saw the need for the FB. The FB is dying out somewhat from what I've read.

The new .17 Hornet has piqued my interest though.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Travis,

Still own the 700's?

typically does the stock remmy .17's have a tendency for accuracy?

Any particular pills the prefer? Load data just so I can get a feel for it?

I'm headed this direction cause more often than not working around the ranch there's a 200 yardish opportunity on a varmint... seems a waste to be hammering them with the 6.5-06 or the 260 rem.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have a close friend that shoots a 17 Fireball in a 700 Remington. The gun is very accurate using 25 gr. Vmax at 3700 fps. I watched him shoot 37 chucks with it early this week, most in the 200 yard range. I was very impressed with the gun.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw a 700BDL in 17 Rem for sale yesterday, first one I had
seen in a very long time. Didnt check the price though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I need a .17 Fireball. I think it's a much better choice than a .17 Hornet. Hornet is very thin brass and takes more care when reloading to keep from crushing. The .17 Fireball can be loaded down to .17 Hornet speeds and loaded up to within a few feet of a .17 Rem. Much more efficiant cartridge than the .17 Rem. Just my personal thoughts and 2 cents worth.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm starting to wonder if the .204 Ruger might be a better choice?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Cocadori

The one thing about the 17 fireball, is the lack of quality in the brass. My good friend has culled at least 20% of the Remington brass for the 17 Fireball. There were vertical cracks in the necks along with horizontal cracks on new unfired brass. In fact one of the cases did not have a flash hole. I am not sure the Hornet brass will be able to handle high pressure.

My go to varmint gun is a 204 with the 32 Vmax bullet. I usually limit distances on chucks to 300 yards.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
FredWillis,

How recently did he buy his brass? I've had a .17 Fireball for a few years now and have purchased two lots of brass with no problems.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Cocadori,

I have quite a few varmint rifles, including a .17 Fireball and .17 Remington, but if limited to one chambering would probably pick the .204. It has noticeably more zap than either .17, and I can still see the bullet hit through the scope even in a sporter. The .17 Remington seems to jump a little more, even with 20-grain bullets, but that may be due to stock design. The .17 is an original 700 BDL and the .204 a newer 700 with a straight-combed synthetic stock.

I like the .17 Fireball a LOT for gophers and prairie dogs, as the recoil is almost non-existent and yet it still shoots laser-flat to 250-300 yards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
He bought it within the past year. He sent the culls in to Remington and they sent him a check for $60. He purchased 200 rounds and 40 were deficient.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also have a .204 and I really like it. Good cartridge. But, I don't have a .17 and I "need" one. I think if I'd have got a bunch of brass that bad I'd have taken it back.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I should have explained further.The problems were all with the necks. It looked to me like the copper/zinc mixture might have been screwed up. Part of the cases had crackles (cracks) in the necks. It looked like laminations. Many of the cases split the necks on the first firing and as I reported earlier, some were already split. He bought the initial 200 rounds thru an old Sportsmans Warehouse, now called Discount Sports. In fact, he did take the cases back and they told him to send them to Remington. After Remington received them, they called my friend and said those cases should never have been past thru inspection.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have owned and loaded for various varmint cartridges.
I have alot of rimfires from all the normal to hm2 and 5mm.

If I had to pick 1 it would be a 17hm2 in rimfire and a 17 Fireball for center fire.
Now, if I was coyote killing alot, like 'flave probably is, I would go 204.

In your question though, sticking to small varmints, I say fireball for
NO recoil, very low noise, does not heat the barrel, 17 Rem. speed, reasonable to reload,
(almost HMR per round price, if you get good brass life) great flying squirrel aerobics, dead flat shooting, most efficient 17 and GREAT brass in all I've bought and reloaded.

My Fireball is the 1st rifle I load in the truck for sage rats.

Have Dog

Will Travel

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm a big fan of the 17 fireball for p-dogs and smaller varmints. When the primary quarry are coyotes, a 223 AI comes along for the ride.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've owned a M700 in .17 Rem since high school. It is my absolute go-to coyote rifle. I must caution though, do NOT use the 20 grain V max on coyote. For smaller critters it is fine but it just won't hold together good enough for coyotes, especially at calling ranges.

The 25 grain Hornady HP however, is a coyote splattn' SOB. I've killed coyotes from litterally shooting off the hip range to 500+ yards with that rifle and bullet. Zero problems with chest shots.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
FredWillis,

Thanks for the clarification on the .17 Fireball brass.

Just because your friend got a batch that "shouldn't have passed inspection," however, is no reason to condemn the .17 Fireball. As I stated earlier, I've obtained two different batches of new brass since getting my rifle maybe 3-4 years ago, and have also used about 200 rounds of factory ammo. Have had zero brass problems. A friend who has a .17 Fireball has had the same experience, so it appears your friend's batch was indeed an aberration.

I've also had a couple people tell me how terrible .221 Fireball brass is. Same deal. I've purchased 3 different batches over the past few years with zero problems, while they purchased one batch and did.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Cocadori
Travis,

Still own the 700's?

typically does the stock remmy .17's have a tendency for accuracy?

Any particular pills the prefer? Load data just so I can get a feel for it?

I'm headed this direction cause more often than not working around the ranch there's a 200 yardish opportunity on a varmint... seems a waste to be hammering them with the 6.5-06 or the 260 rem.

I sold the BDL, but I still have the LVSF. They both shoot lights out.

The load I just cannot get away from is 25gr Bergers, IMR 4320, and the ol' Remington 7 1/2. Those Bergers shoot great, expand well on on PD's and gophers, and they are great dog killers.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

What sort of velocity are you getting from the 25 Bergers?

I've been playing with them and Ramshot Big Game, partly because that powder appears to match the case capacity very well, and partly because it's a temp-stable ball powder that meters oh-so-nicely through the little neck. So far the results are very promising, but haven't finalized a load yet. Probably one more range session will do it.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
I've owned a M700 in .17 Rem since high school. It is my absolute go-to coyote rifle. I must caution though, do NOT use the 20 grain V max on coyote. For smaller critters it is fine but it just won't hold together good enough for coyotes, especially at calling ranges.

The 25 grain Hornady HP however, is a coyote splattn' SOB. I've killed coyotes from litterally shooting off the hip range to 500+ yards with that rifle and bullet. Zero problems with chest shots.

I'm with DH on those Hornady's. And if I had to choose another pill besides Bergers, it would be the Hornady HP.

Travis

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I am a fan of both Berger and Hornady 25gr HP's. The Bergers are generally a little more accurate for me.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Cocadori: I have killed Coyotes, Rock Chucks, Ground Squirrels, Prairie Dogs, Badgers, Jack Rabbits and many other Varmints with my 17 Remington Fireball, as well as with my custom 17 MachIV (the 17 Fireballs twin).
The 17 Remington Fireball is an EXCELLENT all around Varminting cartridge.
I use the wonderful Berger 25 gr. MEF bullets in both my 17 Remington Fireball and my 17 MachIV.
I have as yet to be disappointed with the 17 Remington Fireball - its accurate, lethal and no recoil to obscure your bullets impact points.
I go way back with the 17 MachIV and have 3 Varmint weight Rifles in 17 Remington as well.
The 17 Remington is also a very impressive Varminting round - it will warm your barrel a tad faster than the 17 Fireball - so your contemplation of using it for Gophers gives me reason to lean toward the super efficient 17 Remington Fireball for your useage.
I have a Nikon 6.5x20 variable scope on my Remington 700 VSF in caliber 17 Remington Fireball and it is just sublime on a Ground Squirrel or Prairie Dog Hunt.
It's hard for me to choose one cartridge over the other but for your uses and somewhat longer barrel life I would recommend you go with the 17 Fireball.
Best of luck with whichever you choose and be sure to try the Berger 25 gr. MEF (Varmint) bullets when you get to handloading.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's official. I'm going to rebarrel my Model 7 to .17Rem when the 223 tube is toasted. Thanks a lot Travis, you [bleep].

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Have had only 1 .17 Rem. and 1 17 HMR...both shot very well, but cleaning those little bores was a hassel for me..I like my rifles clean after a shooting session..this 17 Fireball sounds like somehting I need to investigate..haven't bought a new varmit rifle in several years...but in our area, varmits are declining compared to days gone by..but keeping the mind busy planning and doing is the key to enjoying life...

Molon Labe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Tanner
It's official. I'm going to rebarrel my Model 7 to .17Rem when the 223 tube is toasted. Thanks a lot Travis, you [bleep].

I've [bleep] more than few.

Let me help fuel your fire:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

God bless,
Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Have had only 1 .17 Rem. and 1 17 HMR...both shot very well, but cleaning those little bores was a hassel for me..I like my rifles clean after a shooting session..this 17 Fireball sounds like somehting I need to investigate..haven't bought a new varmit rifle in several years...but in our area, varmits are declining compared to days gone by..but keeping the mind busy planning and doing is the key to enjoying life...

Same here. That's why I don't clean them.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice looking dog there, for a hairlip.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And flying goph.

We see more fox than yote up by Chester. Is that normal? Or am I to blitzed to tell the difference?

HFFD to ya.

Have Dog

Will Travel

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Travis, how many rounds do you run though your .17 Rem. before you DO find it worth cleaning???????

Molon Labe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Top of the morning to you buddy! Happy Father's Day and GFY!

I have found where the good fox hunting is, I have a hard time finding dogs and vice versa. Not that I'm complaining...

Same rifle:
[Linked Image]

What kind of M2 do you have? This one was chambered for that, but the ammo kept exploding. I was scared I'd end up more uglier.

[Linked Image]

PS-NOT FOR SALE. So don't bother begging.

GFY,
Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Word, my friend.
Same story, prettier rifle. ( mine, that is)
When it drew blood out in the field one evening, it was gone.
Was a dandy slaughter machine, but not worth the chance.
Glad I had glasses on. It became a 22lr again.
So I use the salvage and 5 clips.

Re-P.S. nice fire wood for a tipi trip. grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Travis, how many rounds do you run though your .17 Rem. before you DO find it worth cleaning???????

I can't count that high... grin

If I run it on gophers all day, I soak it with Wipe Out and push two patches through. But for regular dog shooting and hunting, it doesn't get cleaned.

I have found that with this rifle and the BDL, their being "dirty" usually made them 1" or 1 1/4" guns as opposed to 1/2" guns. For me, that's just not really relevant. Plus, I'm a lazy SOB.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by wageslave
Word, my friend.
Same story, prettier rifle. ( mine, that is)
When it drew blood out in the field one evening, it was gone.
Was a dandy slaughter machine, but not worth the chance.
Glad I had glasses on. It became a 22lr again.
So I use the salvage and 5 clips.

Re-P.S. nice fire wood for a tipi trip. grin

I have contemplated one in a bolt gun. But man, this rifle is a killin' sumbitch. Have you tried those Bitteroot Valley 22's? They smack gophers hard.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, haven't heard of those, but not surprising. I'm a loser.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Travis,

What sort of velocity are you getting from the 25 Bergers?

I've been playing with them and Ramshot Big Game, partly because that powder appears to match the case capacity very well, and partly because it's a temp-stable ball powder that meters oh-so-nicely through the little neck. So far the results are very promising, but haven't finalized a load yet. Probably one more range session will do it.

I didn't see this question earlier.

I get around 4,000fps, but I believe when I clocked them in the shorter LVSF tube, they averaged 3,900fps. Are you getting good accuracy with the Big Game loads?

Biggest mistake I've ever made with a .17 Rem in the field is holding off hair... grin

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

I have contemplated one in a bolt gun. But man, this rifle is a killin' sumbitch. Have you tried those Bitteroot Valley 22's? They smack gophers hard.

Travis

I'm pretty partial to CCI since alot of friends work there and at times some good volume deals come my way. Mini-mag HP are my preference, as they fly true and do the job.
Stingers hit hard, but aren't that accurate. Not 10/22 fodder either.
HMR deals too. grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Must be nice...

Give me some next time you are in my AOR. Thanks chicken [bleep].

Travis

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

Yeah, I'm getting good accuracy with Big Game. It's flirting around 1/2" to 3/4" for 5 shots at 100, but I've only pushed velocity to around 3850 so far, since there isn't any tested data for Big Game. Am going to step on the accelerator a little for the next range session.

By the way, I cleaned the rifle after acquiring it, and since then haven't cleaned it for well over 100 rounds. Shoots in the sub-3/4" range with the initial load I worked up, 43.5 Benchmark and the 20-grain V-Max or Varmageddon. Is this due to the immediate, horrible fouling common to .17 Remingtons?

John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That sounds pretty promising! 3850 could wreck plenty of schit. Are you planning to work up data for the 30gr pills?

You are obviously doing something wrong. It should be a .14 cal by this point. You should read more, sir.

Travis

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
deflave,

Since I'm one of the founders of the do-nothing girls... I was wondering where a fellow girlfriend can find a 17 Rem much like the one you've picture above..(previous page possibly) that would be just about what I think I need to accessories with my variety of purses I carry with me when I'm do nothing or fueling my imagination of doing nothing.

All I seem to be able to find is the VLS...blued.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm not sure what all that means exactly...

But are you saying you want an LVSF? They can be sort of hard to find lately and Remington is not making them currently.

The one in those pics is wearing a McMillan Compact. It is getting re-tubed soon. I offered up the barrel to ingwe, but if he doesn't need it I can send it to you. I'm sure it has plenty of life left.

Do the VLS's have 26" tubes? It would be interesting to see what kind of speeds you could rob from one of those. Buy.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Travis, what does that barrel in the Compact mic at the muzzle? Standard sporter?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Tanner
Travis, what does that barrel in the Compact mic at the muzzle? Standard sporter?

They used a magnum contour on those. .640ish at the muzzle and they are 21" tubes.

The heavy muzzle end is nice to a degree, but I'm going to make it a #1. But I could see lots of dog hunters being very happy with them as is.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh right on... Interesting. Seems with that small of a hole in the tube they'd go with a thinner tube. Crazy [bleep].

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
They used the same pattern on all the LVSF's. They made them in .204, .221 Fireball, .223, 22-250, 7-08, .308. Some is lighter than others depending on cartridge choice.

Travis

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Mule Deer

Buying Remington products is like buying Tasco scopes. You never know what you are going to get!!! If you do not mind sending product back to the factory, eventually you will get product that works. Just like their composite stocks. Most, except for the high dollar stocks are so flexible that one can not rely on them to shoot out of the box.

There is absolutely no reason that brass as defective as what my friend bought, should ever get past quality control. Seems like it is cheaper for companies like Remington to let the public do the quality control.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
SONSABITCHES!!!

Travis

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Shoots in the sub-3/4" range with the initial load I worked up, 43.5 Benchmark and the 20-grain V-Max or Varmageddon. Is this due to the immediate, horrible fouling common to .17 Remingtons?

Is that the correct powder charge???

Your thoughts on Benchmark versus Big Game in the 17 Rem?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
23.5 grains!

Both are excellent powders, cleaning-burning and temp-resistant. But if I can get Big Game to shoot as well as Benchmark (and that looks like it will happen), then Big Game has the edge due to flowing easier into the little neck. Benchmark has small enough granules to work OK, but once in a while it bridges when dumping charges through a measure.
That's one of the main reasons I use TAC in the .17 Fireball.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Damn. I was just thinking 'That JB is one ballsy SOB!' grin

Travis

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A highly compressed load, for sure!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
We need data for 30 grainers and Big Game sir. If you could expend your money on that instead of mine, it would be greatly appreciated.

Travis

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Oh, I plan to test the 30's too!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Awesome. Look forward to it.

Travis

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Kindler Golds?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A friend is sending me some Kindlers, but I already have some Bergers.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Tried any Nagels yet? I've heard rave reviews of them for accuracy, and he offers three different levels of hollow-point nose closure (handy for saving fur at different velocities).

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
DD,

Have you used any of the 30's past 300?

Travis

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The Kindler 30gr Gold Bullet is a hell of a good bullet in the .17 Rem and the .17-204 wildcat, there is nothing around here that would not shoot with this bullet, big game included.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
DD,

Have you used any of the 30's past 300?

Travis

No, I have not tried them. Going on the reports I've heard from others concerning fur. But the BC looks incredible for long range.

As it is, I'm just getting going with my first 17--I picked up a Rem700 Classic barely used.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I was looking at that. I will have to try them when I get mine retubed. I'm curious to see how they do in a little wind.

The 25's have always done a lot better than the paper ballistics indicate.

Travis

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive heard from a reliable source that .17 Rem sux and the fireball is skookum...

.204 trumps both....... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
ingwe,

I appreciate your thoughts sir, but we are referencing cartridges NOT endorsed by the gay community.

God bless,
Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Ive heard from a reliable source that .17 Rem sux and the fireball is skookum...

Finally.
A voice of reason.
Thanks, Poobah.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Finally.
A voice of reason.
Thanks, Poobah.

You traitorous son of a bitch.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The truth will set you free.............

2nd chapter of something.
See you Sunday AM.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Damn, thats gotta suck when the good guys turn against you....... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
.... traitorous...

Travis

BTW..nice use of a 'big' word..... cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn, thats gotta suck when the good guys turn against you....... whistle

It hurt.

Not really.

I pm'd him a GFY and a promise to send some Natty Ice and he came around.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

See you Sunday AM.

It's Exodus you dumb schit.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
.... traitorous...

Travis

BTW..nice use of a 'big' word..... cool

You consider anything over 2 1/2" "big" .

Just to keep things in context.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

See you Sunday AM.

It's Exodus you dumb schit.

Travis

???????? Is that another big word for running out the backdoor when the husband gets home?

P.S. I got a .17 Remington a couple weeks ago in a trade involving a sweet 39a and 1914 pump Salvage.
It's a custom job. Awesome.
H&R handi. No schit. It's gonna go away.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

P.S. I got a .17 Remington a couple weeks ago...

He hasnt taken the bait yet....wait....wait....

He can't pass up something as sweet as a Handi-rifle...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

P.S. I got a .17 Remington a couple weeks ago...

He hasnt taken the bait yet....wait....wait....

He can't pass up something as sweet as a Handi-rifle...

grin grin Got him by the boys now............

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I got a handi under a bar in San Diego. Cougar had skin like that old lady in Something About Mary.

I pretended to hit the schitter and never went back. Love is tough sometimes.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got a handi under a bar in San Diego. Cougar had skin like that old lady in Something About Mary.

Travis

How much $?

Have Dog

Will Travel

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The Fireball is very tempting too, as a little calling rifle.

I cannot seem to locate a Model Seven CDL in 17 Fireball.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The Fireball is very tempting too, as a little calling rifle.

I cannot seem to locate a Model Seven CDL in 17 Fireball.

No, no, no, no.

.17 Rem's only.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Travis

How much $?

You sicken me.

Travis

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
As usual...this thread has taken a disturbing turn...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
DakotaDeer,

What you REALLY need is the .17 Fireball AI. By far the most magical .17 ever, good for everything from white-footed field mice to grizzlies, and you don't even need those silly-ass premium bullets. The magic kills them with a hit anywhere between the nostrils and bunghole.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Travis

How much $?

You sicken me.

Travis

You skipped without paying?
I should have known better.

P.S. Happy Friday BGG.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DakotaDeer,

What you REALLY need is the .17 Fireball AI. By far the most magical .17 ever, good for everything from white-footed field mice to grizzlies, and you don't even need those silly-ass premium bullets. The magic kills them with a hit anywhere between the nostrils and bunghole.

Gospel, right there.
Just wish you would have addressed flava 'flave too, as he will believe you.
AI, I'm on it.

Have Dog

Will Travel

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I actually got as far as calling Dave Kiff about a 17 fireball AI reamer....but couldn't bring myself to fork over the dough. At some point in the last year or so I turned all pragmatic. whistle Lame.....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
But I haven't caught the gay and bought a 204, so it's all good.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Good man.

Travis

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

OK...you are now the #1 Turd on my Schitt Parade...

Travis...step aside....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Billy,

Nice restraint! (Though you might actually like the .204.)

Still owe you some .41 Magnum data....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oh, shure...

Buddy up to him now.....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I knew "Draggingdeadspeedgoatinthewaterguy" was cool.

Travis

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

OK...you are now the #1 Turd on my Schitt Parade...

Travis...step aside....

Wow, that's quite the accolade!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm glad you recognize it as such! grin

And BTW: The Gay of a .204 is easily overcome with a zebra striped stock. It is the antithesis of gay.... wink ( Which explains why Deflave doesn't have one.......just sayin'.......)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ingwe, you ever come across any interesting small bore tubes in mtn contour? I want to retube my Model 7 and dick around with something.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nope, not really. I lucked on to a M7CDL in .22-250 with a whippy little Bbl...but never seen a tube by itself

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's a 17 ? whistle

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Something Deflave shoots....

Pretty much all you need to know..... grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh one of those replace the gong with a paper plate kinda cartridges... grin

Woody
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yup...its a .204 wannabe.... grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
flave ain't gonna like us makin fun of his skeeter shooter..just sayin. grin

Woody
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You know, I understand John Barsness having to dick with those sub-par cartridges because that's his job.

But the rest of you? Especially ingwe? He's been on this earth a century and a half, and he still uses a 20 cal? Good gravy.

Travis

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The small caliber rifle is,for some of us( meaning NOT you...)a symbol of the confidence one has in his own ability, and precision.

Anything smaller than a .20 cal is just Freudian.... grin

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Most all of my shooting is at prairie dogs. Used a Sako 17 Rem ,22 LR RF and 22WMR untill I got 17 HM2, 17 HMR, 17 Fireball, and 204 Ruger rifles. So now the 22 RFs ,17 Rem, and 223 Rem are not used very much. But I will be tring out a Hornady 17 Hornet when a rifle comes out that I like.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bracer
Most all of my shooting is at prairie dogs. Used a Sako 17 Rem ,22 LR RF and 22WMR untill I got 17 HM2, 17 HMR, 17 Fireball, and 204 Ruger rifles. So now the 22 RFs ,17 Rem, and 223 Rem are not used very much. But I will be tring out a Hornady 17 Hornet when a rifle comes out that I like.

Ditto.
Shows our ability to adapt and evolve...... grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anything smaller than a .20 cal is just Freudian.... grin

I had to google that. My brain is rotted from shooting so many squirrels via .17 Rem. I decided my .204 was just too [bleep] to continue on in my presence.

Has anyone tried those .19 cal jobs made by the Calhoon gang up there in Havre? I need to decide if I want another play gun or not.

Disclaimer: My 204 is still in my ownership so just calm down and breath, its just that the 17 Rem is that much more badass and ....."better".

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I've shot a couple of .19 caliber rifles made by James Calhoon. They shot great! Light-recoiling, as you might expect, and his bullets are very accurate.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
I decided my .204 was just too [bleep] to continue on in my presence.

Disclaimer: My 204 is still in my ownership so just calm down and breath, its just that the 17 Rem is that much more badass and ....."better".

Theres a big fat soggy one waiting for you to smoke it in hell.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I've shot a couple of .19 caliber rifles made by James Calhoon. They shot great! Light-recoiling, as you might expect, and his bullets are very accurate.

If a guy went .19, a.i. Is a given?

Have Dog

Will Travel

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This thread must be subtly getting to me...

I was out shooting sage rats last Wednesday and was actually feeling over gunned with a 223, 55 gr SPSXs and a load of 12 grains of Blue Dot...

was feeling either the 204 downloaded or even the 17 HMR was all I really needed... whistle

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Seafire

What velocity and how explosive are the old SPSX's on the dogs?

Sounds like a mild and non barrel heating setup, and my FIL had a bunch of the spsx's back when they were about $5 a box and he'll never shoot them... maybe I can move them to my bullet stash.

Thanks

Allen

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Damnit Seafire! Take your Blue Dot schit elsewhere. This is a .17 Rem promotion thread.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
SPSX's are hell on gophers and PD's. You need to steal those ASAP.

Travis

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Damnit Seafire! Take your Blue Dot schit elsewhere. This is a .17 Rem promotion thread.

Travis

Guess I better mention mine, before I get banished from a fine thread..lol

I have a 17 rem Cooper that needs more fine tuning, or sent back for a look-see, as it doesn't shoot bugholes with the Magic Cooper recommended light load. My other is 17 Rem in a Dedicated Technology AR, which has shot better than the cooper.

I also have a NIB Rem 17 FB in a VSF ( Tan stock, Blue-fluted bull barrel), and tomorrow I get to handle it before the 10 day wait period begins.

These little pills play havoc on my Steel trap's backstop, so I have added a layer of plywood, rubber and am afraid to look but expect both to start the little pills expanding so I stop poking through the 1/4" armor plate Huey access door it burns holes through like a laser.

Would love any "works in all 17 remington's" load data to give the cooper a good try before heading east...

Allen

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Seafire: I was out with my main local Ground Squirrel shooting partner a few days ago and we were into the Gophers BIG TIME!
I was on one swivel bench in the back of a Gator 6x4 shooting non-stop and my partner was in the back of his Toyota 4x4 swivelling about trying to keep up with me.
We each had several Rifles and a pistol apiece along.
My friend had a savage 222 Remington along and was "using up" some "ammo" he had made for it last year - the ammo consisted of 55 grain left-over bullets and a "reduced load" of powder for a muzzle velocity of around 2,000 F.P.S. (I learned these facts after THE impending incident!).
Anyway on about his 10th reduced load centerfire shot, through my ear protection I hear "ka-dud" instead of "ka-boom" from his direction!
I immediately yell out to my retired gunsmith friend "Don a dud" just as he was yelling "aw-damn"!
We both new where that bullet had stopped.
He put his savage away for later "maintenance"!
I do agree with your leaning toward using the 17 HMR but NONE of your inclinations to using downloads or squib loads - just NOT worth the risks involved.
Shoot safe and shoot often!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hemiallen: I hope you will be as happy with your Remington 700 VSF in 17 Fireball as I have been with mine!
I bought my 700 VSF in early March of 2,007 and "had to" buy Remington 20 grain Accu-Tip factory ammunition for it at that time.
I mounted a Nikon 6.5x20 variable scope on it and headed for the range.
After a bit of barrel breakin and sight alignment my first two groups (5 shots at 100 yards) measured .533" and .586"!
I was thrilled with that performance from an all stock factory Rifle and factory ammo.
I eventually got enough brass to start handloading and settled on the Berger 25 grain MEF bullets and W 748 powder. Since settling on that loading I have not shot it a great deal at the range - virtually all the subsequent shooting has been at Colony Varmints.
My best handload grouping (5 shots at 100 yards) though to date has measured .470" on a dead calm morning.
I really like the VSF's stock and the feel/balance of the Rifle.
Again I hope you are as happy with your VSF as I am with mine.
My 3 Varmint Rifles in 17 Remington all use 25 grain Berger MEF bullets and either H 4895 powder or IMR 4320.
I unfortunately do not have a "magic" single loading for the 17 Remington Rifles.
I am sorry to hear you are having accuracy "issues" with your Cooper 17 Remington.
I hope it can be resolved one way or the other.
Keep us informed.
I do know that you are going to be pleasantly pleased with the efficiency and performance of the 17 Remington Fireball.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hemi, nice collection sir.

I got some load data for you. I will PM it to you later in the week. Has always shot well for me.

Travis

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 19 invisible), 1,420 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,665
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.