-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You know, I understand John Barsness having to dick with those sub-par cartridges because that's his job.

But the rest of you? Especially ingwe? He's been on this earth a century and a half, and he still uses a 20 cal? Good gravy.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The small caliber rifle is,for some of us( meaning NOT you...)a symbol of the confidence one has in his own ability, and precision.

Anything smaller than a .20 cal is just Freudian.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Most all of my shooting is at prairie dogs. Used a Sako 17 Rem ,22 LR RF and 22WMR untill I got 17 HM2, 17 HMR, 17 Fireball, and 204 Ruger rifles. So now the 22 RFs ,17 Rem, and 223 Rem are not used very much. But I will be tring out a Hornady 17 Hornet when a rifle comes out that I like.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bracer
Most all of my shooting is at prairie dogs. Used a Sako 17 Rem ,22 LR RF and 22WMR untill I got 17 HM2, 17 HMR, 17 Fireball, and 204 Ruger rifles. So now the 22 RFs ,17 Rem, and 223 Rem are not used very much. But I will be tring out a Hornady 17 Hornet when a rifle comes out that I like.

Ditto.
Shows our ability to adapt and evolve...... grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Anything smaller than a .20 cal is just Freudian.... grin

I had to google that. My brain is rotted from shooting so many squirrels via .17 Rem. I decided my .204 was just too [bleep] to continue on in my presence.

Has anyone tried those .19 cal jobs made by the Calhoon gang up there in Havre? I need to decide if I want another play gun or not.

Disclaimer: My 204 is still in my ownership so just calm down and breath, its just that the 17 Rem is that much more badass and ....."better".

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I've shot a couple of .19 caliber rifles made by James Calhoon. They shot great! Light-recoiling, as you might expect, and his bullets are very accurate.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
I decided my .204 was just too [bleep] to continue on in my presence.

Disclaimer: My 204 is still in my ownership so just calm down and breath, its just that the 17 Rem is that much more badass and ....."better".

Theres a big fat soggy one waiting for you to smoke it in hell.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, I've shot a couple of .19 caliber rifles made by James Calhoon. They shot great! Light-recoiling, as you might expect, and his bullets are very accurate.

If a guy went .19, a.i. Is a given?

Have Dog

Will Travel

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This thread must be subtly getting to me...

I was out shooting sage rats last Wednesday and was actually feeling over gunned with a 223, 55 gr SPSXs and a load of 12 grains of Blue Dot...

was feeling either the 204 downloaded or even the 17 HMR was all I really needed... whistle

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Seafire

What velocity and how explosive are the old SPSX's on the dogs?

Sounds like a mild and non barrel heating setup, and my FIL had a bunch of the spsx's back when they were about $5 a box and he'll never shoot them... maybe I can move them to my bullet stash.

Thanks

Allen

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Damnit Seafire! Take your Blue Dot schit elsewhere. This is a .17 Rem promotion thread.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
SPSX's are hell on gophers and PD's. You need to steal those ASAP.

Travis

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by deflave
Damnit Seafire! Take your Blue Dot schit elsewhere. This is a .17 Rem promotion thread.

Travis

Guess I better mention mine, before I get banished from a fine thread..lol

I have a 17 rem Cooper that needs more fine tuning, or sent back for a look-see, as it doesn't shoot bugholes with the Magic Cooper recommended light load. My other is 17 Rem in a Dedicated Technology AR, which has shot better than the cooper.

I also have a NIB Rem 17 FB in a VSF ( Tan stock, Blue-fluted bull barrel), and tomorrow I get to handle it before the 10 day wait period begins.

These little pills play havoc on my Steel trap's backstop, so I have added a layer of plywood, rubber and am afraid to look but expect both to start the little pills expanding so I stop poking through the 1/4" armor plate Huey access door it burns holes through like a laser.

Would love any "works in all 17 remington's" load data to give the cooper a good try before heading east...

Allen

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Seafire: I was out with my main local Ground Squirrel shooting partner a few days ago and we were into the Gophers BIG TIME!
I was on one swivel bench in the back of a Gator 6x4 shooting non-stop and my partner was in the back of his Toyota 4x4 swivelling about trying to keep up with me.
We each had several Rifles and a pistol apiece along.
My friend had a savage 222 Remington along and was "using up" some "ammo" he had made for it last year - the ammo consisted of 55 grain left-over bullets and a "reduced load" of powder for a muzzle velocity of around 2,000 F.P.S. (I learned these facts after THE impending incident!).
Anyway on about his 10th reduced load centerfire shot, through my ear protection I hear "ka-dud" instead of "ka-boom" from his direction!
I immediately yell out to my retired gunsmith friend "Don a dud" just as he was yelling "aw-damn"!
We both new where that bullet had stopped.
He put his savage away for later "maintenance"!
I do agree with your leaning toward using the 17 HMR but NONE of your inclinations to using downloads or squib loads - just NOT worth the risks involved.
Shoot safe and shoot often!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hemiallen: I hope you will be as happy with your Remington 700 VSF in 17 Fireball as I have been with mine!
I bought my 700 VSF in early March of 2,007 and "had to" buy Remington 20 grain Accu-Tip factory ammunition for it at that time.
I mounted a Nikon 6.5x20 variable scope on it and headed for the range.
After a bit of barrel breakin and sight alignment my first two groups (5 shots at 100 yards) measured .533" and .586"!
I was thrilled with that performance from an all stock factory Rifle and factory ammo.
I eventually got enough brass to start handloading and settled on the Berger 25 grain MEF bullets and W 748 powder. Since settling on that loading I have not shot it a great deal at the range - virtually all the subsequent shooting has been at Colony Varmints.
My best handload grouping (5 shots at 100 yards) though to date has measured .470" on a dead calm morning.
I really like the VSF's stock and the feel/balance of the Rifle.
Again I hope you are as happy with your VSF as I am with mine.
My 3 Varmint Rifles in 17 Remington all use 25 grain Berger MEF bullets and either H 4895 powder or IMR 4320.
I unfortunately do not have a "magic" single loading for the 17 Remington Rifles.
I am sorry to hear you are having accuracy "issues" with your Cooper 17 Remington.
I hope it can be resolved one way or the other.
Keep us informed.
I do know that you are going to be pleasantly pleased with the efficiency and performance of the 17 Remington Fireball.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hemi, nice collection sir.

I got some load data for you. I will PM it to you later in the week. Has always shot well for me.

Travis

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,856 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,993
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.