-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am going to South Africa for the first time this September.
I change planes in Jo-Burg and arrive in P.E. late in the evening. I was going to stay in a hotel and the next afternoon head to the PH/outfitters. So, that morning I was thinking about checking out a SA gun shop. Any good local stores?
Thanks, John H.

Have Gun, Will Travel. The more dust on the trail, the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA & VFW & Six Napoleons
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John, please bear in mind that our local gun stores are nothing like Cabelas, Gander Mountain or Bass Pro. Last week I bought ammunition at the local farmer's co-op in Humansdorp (about an hour from PE) in their gun room in which you will comfortably fit a Ford F250 but will have trouble opening the door.

I am in Grahamstown now, about and hour from PE and will ask around tomorrow and let you know.

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
If you visit a gun room, and that is all it will be, I think you will have a new appreciation for the ease of purchase, the prices, and the selection that we enjoy in the U.S. My PH was telling me about what he pays for a decent but not high end rifle, the process to get it and the time delay in taking possession, unbelievable.

Thank God for the 2nd. amendment and the words "...shall not be infringed.."

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Was with my PH last year, when he went into a gun shop in Port Elizabeth, and could NOT buy any ammo, as he had misplaced his rifle ownership card. Not going to walk in and see a ton of ammo out, and in the one in Port Elizabeth, we see twice as many guns in a Pawn Shop, here..

Last edited by ghost; 06/13/12.

Ghost
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
PieterK, thanks ahead of time for checking. After reading the other two posts I am thinking I can't just walk into a gun shop and buy a box of ammo or other items like cleaning supplies.
so, maybe I should just ask the PH/outfitters to find that kind of stuff. I saw a web site that lists Webb's and Lock-Stock & Barrel...have you heard of them?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry, got to bed late the last few evenings. Here are some of the stores in PE:
Aquila Arms
6th Ave
Newton Park
Port Elizabeth
041 3657990
www.aquilagroup.co.za

Target Line
Bell Rd
Vincent
East London
043 7265133

Lock Stock & Barrel
Grahamstown Rd
North End
Port Elizabeth
041 4847818

If you have your temporary import permit with you you can buy ammo locally up to 200 rounds per caliber per day per permit.

You can buy cases and projectiles for any caliber without a permit! Does this make sense? You can buy any reloading equipments and even primers without a permit, and you have to sign a docement if you but black powder, but not more than 2 lbs per day. You cannot buy ammo or firearms without a competency certificate or pre-approves license.

Have fun on your hunt, we certainly had a great time in the East Cape. Off to Kruger Park from her.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
PieterK,
Thanks for the info...I think I will just depend on my PH.
He has already offered to get the ammo before I fly in.
I am sure 30-06 in 180gr should be fine.
I am looking for Kudu, Impala, Springbok...everyone tells me, those should be fairly easy trophies.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It depends on your standard. Kudu are not called Grey Ghost without reason and the old ones are pretty smart.

Best of luck and good hunting.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Might get some flack from others, but I feel the 180s in the 06 are too heavy, especially for things like springbok. I'd opt for 165s myself. We used 165s on Oryx (Gemsbok), Kudu, Sable, Zebra and an Eland, and they worked fine. Springbok, gnu, and Impala all not that big and heavy, so I'd want the quicker opening bullet myself.

Ghost
U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
While a 180 gr. is heavy for springbok, it is really important to be ready should that beautiful, big, old black wildebeest or blue wildebeest steps out on your springbok stalk. They are tough animals even when the shot is well placed, you definitely don't want to be shooting 165 gr. at them. I'm a big believer that a bullet too large is much better than one too small, especially after the fact.

I've shot duiker, steenbok, both wildebeest, kudo, springbok, etc. with 180 gr. and it really does a nice job and the hides were fine after the kill. Why shoot smaller bullets?

The other issue, if you try to shoot both 165 and 180 gr bullets your POI will likely be different using the same POA at 200+ yards unless you are planning to carry two rifles.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi John,
Being from P.E area, I would recommend Lock,Stock and Barrel. They will help you with anything that you require.

Take care,
Marius

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
From my experience Wildebeeste being big and tough, mostly BS. Hit them right, and they're down. Zebra supposed to be tough too, but wife killed hers very well with an 06 and 165gr partition. Also kudu, and my Eland. all one shot kills. However, if you're content with the 180s, guess that's what matters.

Not sure what the remark about the hides being fine, has to do with using 165s, as they don't blow up or anything. Used 150s last year, in my 308, and they didn't blow big holes out the other side, either. But then, didn't use ballistic tips or some other (to me) explosive bullet. By explosive, mean very fast opening, not one with a powder charge or something in it.

Last edited by ghost; 06/20/12.

Ghost

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,407
Posts18,528,000
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.