Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Im an underground hardrock miner by trade. That is my living.

There is no way that this mine plan should go forward. We have enough destroyed watersheds and big cities that blight the land in North America.

Theres not that much land left that's undeveloped by man and machines. No matter how much gold is extracted an pristine and clean place to visit and live is far more valuable.

When it's all said and done, the mining companies go bankrupt and leave the taxpayer to pay the tab for their huge enviro cleanup messes. Reference for example Montana's Butte/Anaconda lode and Idaho's famed Silver Valley, and the chat mounds of Oklahoma, and Montana's absbestos mining.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I make a living in the Bristol Bay fishery so I'd rather not see the mine get started. But at the same time i am pretty supportive of people being able to do as they damn well please with their own land.

If the option of extracting the precious metals from this site is blocked, where does this leave those who invested in the project?

Northern Dynasty legally purchased the mineral rights to the land, they find that they are sitting on the largest gold deposit on earth let alone the other metals involved. The project is bigger than they can take on so they set out to attract investors and Anglo American buys in for a half a billion dollars. Through a joint endeavor in research and development they come up with a plan to mine the area. Everything they have done so far has been legal as well as transparent. Should they just be left holding the bag, out millions of dollars due to a long list of "what if's"?

If I was the one paying the bills I'd fight like hell to push the project through.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JeffA
I make a living in the Bristol Bay fishery so I'd rather not see the mine get started. But at the same time i am pretty supportive of people being able to do as they damn well please with their own land.

If the option of extracting the precious metals from this site is blocked, where does this leave those who invested in the project?

Northern Dynasty legally purchased the mineral rights to the land, they find that they are sitting on the largest gold deposit on earth let alone the other metals involved. The project is bigger than they can take on so they set out to attract investors and Anglo American buys in for a half a billion dollars. Through a joint endeavor in research and development they come up with a plan to mine the area. Everything they have done so far has been legal as well as transparent. Should they just be left holding the bag, out millions of dollars due to a long list of "what if's"?

If I was the one paying the bills I'd fight like hell to push the project through.
I'm all in favor of doing what someone wants to do with their own land, but I can't see that this fits that idea. The land that will be developed will be entirely and completely ruined. The undeniable dangers that will accompany this mine must also enter the equation. When they do what they want to on their land, then in the next few years it may become impossible for me to do anything on mine. This kind of mining, in this location, mustn't be allowed. If the investors are concerned about their dollars, let them grab a pick and pan and mine what they can by hand.......

When placed in proper perspective, the real costs are to the environment, the state of AK and the residents of Bristol Bay. The investors have only placed their money in the deal and someone will always print more money, but once developed that area will be forever destroyed.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Jeff, If you take time to read the reports from both Norther Dynasty and Anglo- American you will see that all the investors were warned that this was a high risk venture so they know that they may not make a cent . As a commercial fisherman in Bristol Bay I am sure you are well aware of that concept.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458Win
...... you will see that all the investors were warned that this was a high risk venture so they know that they may not make a cent . As a commercial fisherman in Bristol Bay I am sure you are well aware of that concept.

Exxxxactly!

As far as the "my own land" thing goes, if you happen to personally own 40 cares someplace and you decide that a certain low spot that harbors standing water occasionally would be a perfect place for your shop or garage and you'd like to build it up and build there, look out. There are plenty of government regulations which can deter that simple act. I'm not crazy at all that money, especially big money, somehow equates to making a huge endeavor right.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 06/13/12.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Bristol Bay is the greatest wild salmon fishery remaining on the planet. It's not like we can relocate this fishery if it becomes polluted.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...... you will see that all the investors were warned that this was a high risk venture so they know that they may not make a cent . As a commercial fisherman in Bristol Bay I am sure you are well aware of that concept.

I think they were and are more than aware of what they are up against for local resistance and political obstacles but the kind of money they have behind them offers them a position of power as well as seemingly like arrogance. It's not as if this is really a lot different than any other project they have taken on. Mines are seldom welcome with opened arms.

Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Exxxxactly!

As far as the "my own land" thing goes, if you happen to personally own 40 cares someplace and you decide that a certain low spot that harbors standing water occasionally would be a perfect place for your shop or garage and you'd like to build it up and build there, look out. There are plenty of government regulations which can deter that simple act. I'm not crazy at all that money, especially big money, somehow equates to making a huge endeavor right.

The financial resources these guys have can buy a lot of persuasion in the right places. Especially in a gold mining state like Alaska.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The financial resources these guys have can buy a lot of persuasion in the right places. Especially in a gold mining state like Alaska.

Exxxxactly!

And that bothers me more than just a little.

Originally Posted by Klikitarik

I'm not crazy at all that money, especially big money, somehow equates to making a huge endeavor right.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I think it was sitka deer that said 'building retention ponds on a giant sponge' wasn't such a great idea.

I see no reason to disagree. Phvck Pebble!!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had a lengthy discussion with the lead attorney representing several Native corporations (Jeff for those curious) and found a number of new things to be pissed about...

Apparantly Frank the Bank smoothed some stuff for Pebble by getting the land there redesignated as having no fish or wildlife value. They did this by using a seashore format which only asked for things like "How many walrus haul-outs are there?"

It did not ask for moose or caribou so they claimed no wildlife value leaving mining as highest and best use. Getting that set to right will require a lot of work.

Just one more reason to despise every Murkowski that ever drew breath.

I had been in the "Let the permit process work so we do not have to pay for the to-date costs" camp... No more.

The attorney emphasized the need for a premanent solution so the mining project does not come back in five years or ten years. He suggests the best plan is to buy out the mining company by purchasing the land and setting it aside. Seems he thinks wasting lots of money to fight it would be counter-productive compared to a simple buy-out... Especially since the price should not be high based on risks...

We just returned this afternoon from fishing the Kvichak River which drains Lake Iliamna. The rainbow trout fishing is not easily matched anywhere. The Talarik and Upper Talarik both dump into the big lake and are very much at risk. A spill in their direction would have the potential to kill a lot of fish for a very long time...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The rainbow trout fishing is not easily matched anywhere. The Talarik and Upper Talarik both dump into the big lake and are very much at risk. A spill in their direction would have the potential to kill a lot of fish for a very long time...

A SPILL ?? Anglo purchased the entire water rights to Talarik creek and that will be one of their three settling ponds !!!

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I understand and agree fully! My point about the spill is that a settlement pond is supposed to allow the heavies to settle out... if it fails water rerouted North would go South to Iliamna and take heavies with it...

And you are right in that my statement dismisses Talarik Creek fish which is utterly wrong on every level... The Talarick Creek fishery is World class!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I find it ironic that we "ultra conservatives", in favor of less government regulation, and more free-capatalistic enterprises - are fighting what appears to me to be a losing battle for a liberal-agenda "environmental" cause....without much noticable apparent support from the left....

Maybe we should reverse direction, then cave......?

You will notice the absence of a smiley face...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I suppose there are times when "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" doesn't hold true.

This appears to be one of those times.

That only applies if we assume liberals to be the enemy of conservatives.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a lengthy discussion with the lead attorney representing several Native corporations (Jeff for those curious) and found a number of new things to be pissed about...

Apparantly Frank the Bank smoothed some stuff for Pebble by getting the land there redesignated as having no fish or wildlife value. They did this by using a seashore format which only asked for things like "How many walrus haul-outs are there?"

It did not ask for moose or caribou so they claimed no wildlife value leaving mining as highest and best use. Getting that set to right will require a lot of work.

Oil companies use that walrus haul-out trick for permitting drill sites in the Gulf of Mexico. That was exposed during the BP spill investigation. It seems to be an effective paperwork maneuver...

He suggests the best plan is to buy out the mining company by purchasing the land and setting it aside.

Seems he thinks wasting lots of money to fight it would be counter-productive compared to a simple buy-out... Especially since the price should not be high based on risks...

Uhhh, what? The state of Alaska owns the land, Northern Dynasty Minerals Limited has owned the mineral rights since 1987. Watch out if that dude starts collecting donations to "buy the land".

In recent years they have applied for water rights permits to Upper Talarik Creek and the Koktuli River for use in mining operations. A year or two ago they were fined for 25 or 30 violations of extracting water outside of the areas allowed by those permits. After those violations were more closely looked at it was found to be more of a surveying error, they were less than 100 feet at most from their mark.

We just returned this afternoon from fishing the Kvichak River which drains Lake Iliamna. The rainbow trout fishing is not easily matched anywhere. The Talarik and Upper Talarik both dump into the big lake and are very much at risk. A spill in their direction would have the potential to kill a lot of fish for a very long time...

We fly over to the mouth of the Upper Talarik to fish the Bow's after the Red's start spawning. The Rainbows that come up out of Iliamna and lay in the shallows of the Talarik sucking down eggs are absolutely spectacular. They are very similar to Steelhead. Some of the best Wild Rainbow fishing Alaska has to offer.

I can wade across the Upper Talarik at most any location. The amount of water they are permitted to use from the headwaters would dry out the mouth if they used their limits. If they dry these drainage's out it really will not matter if they damn the head water basins for use as tailing retention ponds. That is until the seepage is realized or the dam fails.

If I am recalling right it was the Talarik head-waters retention/sediment pond that was to be 10 square miles in surface area created by a 400 foot in height earth dam. Pretty simple plan, just dam up the top of the basin and dump their schit into it.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Jeff, If you take time to read the reports from both Norther Dynasty and Anglo- American you will see that all the investors were warned that this was a high risk venture so they know that they may not make a cent . As a commercial fisherman in Bristol Bay I am sure you are well aware of that concept.

I had been in the "Let the permit process work so we do not have to pay for the to-date costs" camp... No more.

The attorney emphasized the need for a premanent solution so the mining project does not come back in five years or ten years. He suggests the best plan is to buy out the mining company by purchasing the land and setting it aside. Seems he thinks wasting lots of money to fight it would be counter-productive compared to a simple buy-out... Especially since the price should not be high based on risks...

Sitka Deer,

On the issue of "Let the permit process work so we do not have to pay for the to-date costs" camp...;

When the Windy Craggy copper cobalt deposit in the Alsek-Tatsenshini was expropriated into a National Park, the BC taxpayers got a $144 million dollar bill which was the negotiated market value of the deposit (1993) and not the cost of development.

Last year, when NDs sister company Taseko had their environmental application turned down for the Fish Lake project (Pebble sized) by the Feds based on environmental and aboriginal concerns, there has been no mention of compensation, just talk of reapplication.

Just something to think about.

From the sounds of it, money is buying a lot of 'science'

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
Im an underground hardrock miner by trade. That is my living.

There is no way that this mine plan should go forward. We have enough destroyed watersheds and big cities that blight the land in North America.

Theres not that much land left that's undeveloped by man and machines. No matter how much gold is extracted an pristine and clean place to visit and live is far more valuable.

When it's all said and done, the mining companies go bankrupt and leave the taxpayer to pay the tab for their huge enviro cleanup messes. Reference for example Montana's Butte/Anaconda lode and Idaho's famed Silver Valley, and the chat mounds of Oklahoma, and Montana's absbestos mining.

As a lifelong environmentalist-50+ years- and one who made some of his living in the mining industry, I agree. We have situations like these in BC and WE end up paying to clean them up.

HOWEVER, most of the towns in my beloved Kootenays were started because of mining and it has made a HUGE contribution to BC's evolution and economic wealth...and we are filthy rich.

Soooooo, we North Americans need to seek a balance here and I think that is possible. It is people like you with your trade and yet your care for the planet that will be at the forefront of this and I greatly admire you for your position.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Oil companies use that walrus haul-out trick for permitting drill sites in the Gulf of Mexico. That was exposed during the BP spill investigation. It seems to be an effective paperwork maneuver...

He suggests the best plan is to buy out the mining company by purchasing the land and setting it aside.

Seems he thinks wasting lots of money to fight it would be counter-productive compared to a simple buy-out... Especially since the price should not be high based on risks...

Uhhh, what? The state of Alaska owns the land, Northern Dynasty Minerals Limited has owned the mineral rights since 1987. Watch out if that dude starts collecting donations to "buy the land".

In recent years they have applied for water rights permits to Upper Talarik Creek and the Koktuli River for use in mining operations. A year or two ago they were fined for 25 or 30 violations of extracting water outside of the areas allowed by those permits. After those violations were more closely looked at it was found to be more of a surveying error, they were less than 100 feet at most from their mark.

We fly over to the mouth of the Upper Talarik to fish the Bow's after the Red's start spawning. The Rainbows that come up out of Iliamna and lay in the shallows of the Talarik sucking down eggs are absolutely spectacular. They are very similar to Steelhead. Some of the best Wild Rainbow fishing Alaska has to offer.

I can wade across the Upper Talarik at most any location. The amount of water they are permitted to use from the headwaters would dry out the mouth if they used their limits. If they dry these drainage's out it really will not matter if they damn the head water basins for use as tailing retention ponds. That is until the seepage is realized or the dam fails.

If I am recalling right it was the Talarik head-waters retention/sediment pond that was to be 10 square miles in surface area created by a 400 foot in height earth dam. Pretty simple plan, just dam up the top of the basin and dump their schit into it.

I realize AK owns the land, not ND... The idea would be to purchase the land from the State to set aside... or less effectively to get the State to set it aside. Legislation could make that happen more easily than any other way... But it will continue to come up over and over again in reapplications if the permit is simply turned down and the combined costs of repeated efforts will greatly exceed a reasonable starting price...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by free_miner

Sitka Deer,

On the issue of "Let the permit process work so we do not have to pay for the to-date costs" camp...;

When the Windy Craggy copper cobalt deposit in the Alsek-Tatsenshini was expropriated into a National Park, the BC taxpayers got a $144 million dollar bill which was the negotiated market value of the deposit (1993) and not the cost of development.

Last year, when NDs sister company Taseko had their environmental application turned down for the Fish Lake project (Pebble sized) by the Feds based on environmental and aboriginal concerns, there has been no mention of compensation, just talk of reapplication.

Just something to think about.

From the sounds of it, money is buying a lot of 'science'

And that is exactly the way I understand the probable outcome for AK if it is turned down on enviromental grounds... But the fact the State assessment lists only minig as highest and best use will require significant behind the scenes stuff in addition to what is going to happen on the permit application.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Just to clarify a couple above posts. ND (a shell company) is after the copper. Gold is a by-product.

Gold is inert.

Copper in very small amounts f*cks up salmonoids (professional scientific terminology). So does many of the other released by products of either gold or copper mining, depending on the composition of the ores. Reference Homestead Mining operations in the Black Hills, or along the Clark Fork of Montana, or those 2,000 year old Roman mines in Great Britain, still leaking toxins into the watersheds downstream. Or, or.. the list goes on. Which isn't to say we don't need to mine - just NOT HERE!

There are almost no, if any, Alaskan BB fishermen in favor of Pebble. So the first hearing was held in Seattle, for obvious reasons. Big Deal! It could have as well been held in SF- where there is a sizable amount of "Little Italy" BB permit holders... Hell - they even have their own generally respected dock space in Naknek. Some of them are 4th or 5th generation. Bet on any of them being in favor of Pebble?

As to economic bottom lines - 100 years of copper extraction, or thousands of fish extraction? Plus the marine mammals and other life that depends on those salmon, and the land animals that will be affected by such a massive project.

When you see someone referencing Red Dog or the Fbks mine ( Murphy Dome? I forgot the name at the moment), those are entirely different situations.

It's like saying - "Go ahead, take a bite of this poisoned apple - they've been growing good oranges in California for years". (Yeah, I know that doesn't make sense - that's the point.)

Last edited by las; 06/18/12.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (160user, 22kHornet, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 06hunter59, 34 invisible), 1,394 guests, and 1,026 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,096
Posts18,522,196
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.