Print Thread
Hop To
N
noduck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I might be in downtown Vancouver in Sept.. Any body suggest a good charter to fish with.. Willing to drive if need be..

I will also try in the fishing section..

Thanks for any advice.. Sdog...

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What kind of fishing are you looking for?There's chinooks in Vancouver harbour in September,most of the local rivers will have some salmon,and theres sturgeon in the Fraser. Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How long will you be in town? Campbell River is a short commuter flight away and the fishing is much better. April Point Lodge and Painter's Lodge are the two main operations. I have been at both and fished out of Painter's.

In Vancouver the best fishing will likely be from Point Atkinson to the mouth of the Capilano River - basically along West Vancouver from the Lion's Gate bridge west to the lighthouse.

My friend recently went on a Sturgeon charter out by Chilliwack (~1.5 hour drive east) on the Fraser River. The Fraser River has what is probably the last healthy wild population in the world. You have a decent chance of a +100 lb fish.

N
noduck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Holy cow lots of good information.. I will be in town for 4 days.. Was looken for some chinooks or salmon.. Maybe just a day trip...

That sturgeon fishing sounds interesting will have to look into that...

Arac on the West Vancouver side is there alot of charters over there and if so any that you would recommend...

Thanks for replying....

N
noduck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Arac is the Chilliwack good for salmon in sept to.. Would that area be better then Vancouver downtown area... Dont mind driving if theres a better chance at seeing more fish..

Thanks again....

IC B2

R
R
In September you have two choices for salmon fishing, as mentioned above Vancouver can be decent for Chinook Salmon ( white meat) which is our Fall run that is going up Howe Sound to Sqaumish River. The fish are large and fun to catch. If you want to try Sturgeon on the Fraser, September is a great month, you can also fish for Coho and Chinook salmon on most 8 hour charters. Most guides will start the morning with salmon and finish the day with sturgeon. Mission is located 50 miles east of Vancouver, closer than Chilliwack and better fishing for sturgeon. Try these guys www.guidebc.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not recommending this outfit as I know nothing about them, but Horse Shoe Bay might be a place to look.

http://www.sewellsmarina.com/fishing.html

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Arac
How long will you be in town? Campbell River is a short commuter flight away and the fishing is much better. April Point Lodge and Painter's Lodge are the two main operations. I have been at both and fished out of Painter's.

In Vancouver the best fishing will likely be from Point Atkinson to the mouth of the Capilano River - basically along West Vancouver from the Lion's Gate bridge west to the lighthouse.

My friend recently went on a Sturgeon charter out by Chilliwack (~1.5 hour drive east) on the Fraser River. The Fraser River has what is probably the last healthy wild population in the world. You have a decent chance of a +100 lb fish.

I cant comment on round Vancouver but i have been to Painter's Lodge in late September early October (was part of my honeymoon-my wife had fun)-no chinooks but lots of pinks and chum. I actually finalized my trip yesterday with my dad to goto April Point Lodge on July 9th till the 14th. SHOULD BE A BLAST!!!

Oak Bay Marine Group has great people to talk to. Check out the website-just GOOGLE "OBMG"

They may have something at vancouver.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by noduck
Holy cow lots of good information.. I will be in town for 4 days.. Was looken for some chinooks or salmon.. Maybe just a day trip...

That sturgeon fishing sounds interesting will have to look into that...

Arac on the West Vancouver side is there alot of charters over there and if so any that you would recommend...

Thanks for replying....

There are Chinook in the river (Chilliwack) in September. The neat thing about Sturgeon (and I've not fished for them with a guide, only on my own) is that they can and do grow to 1000lbs. Normally you are looking at 100-200lb fish as a good catch, but the bigger ones are in there. My friend did a trip last summer, and each of the four paid $400 for two nights accommodation, two breakfasts, a day of fishing and lunch out on the boat. They also also got hats. They caught 10 fish and the largest was ~200lbs. The guide's name was Matt Moisley.

Take a look at the photos to give you an idea of the beasts that lurk in the Fraser River:
Sturgeon guide and pictures

For salmon I really would go to Campbell River for a day. There is a really cool opportunity at Painter's Lodge - a traditional salmon fishing trip. The Tyee Club is reserved for those fisherman/women who land a +30lb Spring (Chinook) out of a row-boat with artificial lures. The fishing is done at the mouth of the Campbell River (where the fish stage) and usually goes on until mid-September or so. I don't know of any other outfit offering this type of fishing experience. Additionally, the scenery will be fantastic and you will have a chance to see Orcas.

Again, I have only fished in Vancouver on my own and not with a guide, so I can't really suggest anyone.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Painter's is offering 3 days / 2 nights / 2 fishing trips (4 hours each), fly in from Vancouver, for $599. That is a very good deal.

Most Vancouver charters are around $500 for a 5 hour trip.

I guess it depends on whether or not you can make the extra time.

IC B3

N
noduck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Wow thanks for all the good advice going to have to do some research.. Should be able to figure something out..

If anybody has more info please feel free to post...

Thanks again for the info, Noduck

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For a saltchuck trip, consider David Korsch. Google him. Van harbour waters do yield some big fish at that time of year and your running time is next to nothing. My best is a 44 lb white spring, caught in September.

Tyee club fishing in Campbell River is old school and grand but wouldn't be my first choice if I wanted to play fish.

River trips would be a hoot.

N
noduck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Okay I will be in Vancouver from Sept12-15.. Still looking for a place to go fishing..

Painters lodge looks awesome but can it be done in one day,sounds like a lot of traveling...

Chilliwick looks awesome lots of guides.. I want to fish salmon first before sturgeon.. Or is chilliwick more of sturgeon then salmon fishing?????

Has anybody been fishing at Sewells Marine..???

I will be fishing only one day will have a car...

Anymore suggestions would be great..Just trying to find the best spot.... And thers alot to choose from...

Thanks noduck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (44mc, 1100mag, 10Glocks, 35, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,256
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.