Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
It didn't take alot of time.

If you were around back in 2003-2004 like some of us were, you would see the humour in this.

GB1

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
What if Kute has more than one pack? I actually think he owns several...like maybe 10 or so? Your argument, perhaps intended as a "home-run", is not as convincing as it sounds. I think you need more sound evidence...sounds like you are speculating.

Last edited by Vigilguy; 06/02/12.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
It's not real conclusive either way...but if you read what he used to write back then about the LHR...you would expect it to be used more than 2x....just sayin'...

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
And we should just take your word for it?

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by ken999
It's not real conclusive either way...but if you read what he used to write back then about the LHR...you would expect it to be used more than 2x....just sayin'...
We need to hear more to understand what you're implying. We can't read minds (on this forum or with the women in our lives).

I have somewhere between 10-20 personal backpacks, and I'm always looking to find others. Regardless of that silly number, and constantly being on the lookout for more, I almost always go back to my favorites. All others are judged in their shadows. It's complicated further because a lot of the time, I just don't feel like testing equipment. I want to use it, not think about it, and go about my business. The result is that I have packs that rarely get used that, in theory, I'm excited to own and test. I can see someone being excited about a piece of gear yet never finding the right mood and time to actually use it.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Digging up old posts, thats getting low. Have too much time on your hands? I do not see how it proves anything either.

I asked for pictures of the 190" WA Alpine Mule Deer Bushcraft always talks about. I never had my request filled, does that mean I should question weather he really has them hanging on his wall? According to Bushcraft maybe I should.

Strangely hypocritical don't you think Wes? You've chastised someone that brought up the actual words someone wrote in an old post that might (not saying that it does) go a long way towards illustrating why so few people believe what he says on here and elsewhere, while you yourself just dredged something up from the past - but with your own wordsmithing, not ones that I've actually ever said. C'mon dude. I've already asked you kindly not to put words in my mouth. You are better than that.

As far as it goes, I don't remember you ever asking me for any pictures of any "190" WA Alpine Mule Deer rack" that I supposedly always talk about. If you did, fine. When? Where? I have an absolutely stunning rack from near my family's ranch in OR, that I didn't kill and have never ever claimed to kill. It's a helluva beautiful thing to look at for motivation. You are welcome to come over and see it anytime you like and I'll tell you the same honest story I've told everyone else that has ever marveled at it. And back to your inference, I've never ever claimed to have shot a 190"+ WA alpine buck. It's simply dishonest for you to infer otherwise. I don't deny ever using that 190 number, but it's simply a goal I and a lot of other DIY alpine mule deer hunters have as a baseline for big bodied, older, mature bucks that have more than likely lived long enough to pass on their genes and are on the verge of sliding down the other side to die from natural causes. Get over your "trophy hunting" hang-up already! It just makes you come across as being ill-informed.

Last edited by Bushcraft; 06/03/12. Reason: clarification

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by ken999
Before anyone gets too critical of Bushy....just remember...after a year and a half of mountain pounding training sessions with 70-90 lbs, after 2 full hunting seasons and gawd knows whatever else BC could throw at it...Kute decided to finally sell his LHR that he absolotuely swooned over upon receipt....Here's the ad in the classified section of this forum.

"I have a Kifaru Longhunter Rendevous pack, the basic unit with an extra top pocket. Current Kifaru price is:

Pack-$539.00
Shipping-$27.00
Extra top pocket-$60.00
Shipping-$7.00

Total-$643.00 USD.

This is in absolutely NEW condition, used on two trips and the fleece covers have never been outside of my home. The ONLY flaw is a factory sewing "miss" about 1/4" long in a non-weight bearing seam on one top pocket. I also removed the waiststraps from this as it is on the pack and the other I bought as a replacement and fannypack.

The stays were replaced and NOT bent by Patrick Smith himself, as the pack did not fit me when I bought it in mid-summer 2005. The waistbelt will fit 40"-46" waists and this is useful when wearing heavy winter clothing; a spare, smaller belt can be obtained from Kifaru and fitted by the purchaser, if you have a small waist.

So, this pack will cost you $475.00 USD shipped and insured to your door; that is almost $200.00 LESS than new cost and it IS like new, plus, you do not have to wait for Kifaru to deliver one to you.

Money orders in USD ONLY, NO OFFERS as the price is FIRM, I thought this was sold, but, the guy seems no longer interested.This does not have a Cargo Chair with it, BTW, but this and other accessories are available from Kifaru.

PMs with contact info", serious buyers only, please."

Yup...you read that right...Absolutely new condition, used 2x...

One we have a pic of already. grin

This is an erroneous assumption by this poster as I used this pack on two trips and used other packs I owned for the other couple of trips I could make in 2006. It had some issues and I had them dealt with, at cost to myself and while I tried to use it for the training that I need much more of, given my age and so on, I could never adjust it to be really comfortable with any weight.

So, I sold it honestly and to a gentleman in Rossland, BC and last I heard, he had had it for a year or so and never used it. I am meticulous in my dealings and I described the pack exactly and felt it was important to mention that the replacement stays had been left by Patrick Smith, in the pre-bent form. This, IMO, would be preferable to a purchaser as I have a twisted spine due to a serious car accident on May 5, 1960 and one leg 1.5" shorter than the other.

So, I simply did my best to describe the pack as completely as possible and thus make it easy to buy/not buy by anyone interested. I realize that some are totally satisfied with the pack(s) they have and others are willing to experiement to find what works best for them. For me, to date, the best packs have been Dana-Bozeman and MR and I expect that the custom McHale I intend to buy next winter will be even better.

I think that the problem with packs and fitting is almost impossible to really "fix" unless the maker/fitter, has the individual present in person or uses a "demo"pack and even my MR packs could be improved, FOR ME, but, they do not pretend to be "custom" and work damned well as they are.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Are you inferring that Kifaru pretends, or ever pretended to be, "custom"?

At one point in time, one was able to order up a pack in different colors and fabric weights, but that was before they got slammed with military business.

One can bend the stays, get different generic sized waistbelts, tweak the height of the shoulder straps and get a pretty nice fit if your body type falls in that 2 standard deviation, but that hardly qualifies as being truly "custom" like a McHale, leastwise for any thinking person that can read, and justifiably shouldn't be compared as such.

Per the website.... http://kifaru.net/lhfit.htm

Under "Using Torso adjuster - fine tuning"
"We do our best to pre-fit each pack to your dimensions."

Last edited by Bushcraft; 06/03/12. Reason: kifaru reference

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bushcraft
Originally Posted by Vigilguy
Can we start making bets as to how many pages this thread is gonna last? grin

Probably for as long as Snubbie thinks he's got something funny or enlightening to say. whistle wink

Yeah Bush, I am trying to be funny. Because this thread was hijacked LOOOOONNGGG ago and not by me. It has become so absurd it IS funny. People "arguing with stopsigns" as we say around here.

I respect all viewpoints from everyone on here. I listen to advice, opinions, experiences, etc. and glean that which is useful and helpful to me and discard the rest.

I get nothing but distractions and irritation from meaningless whizzing matches against faceless forum users...to a point, then it becomes so absurd it is entertaining.

As early as page 2, Eberlestock and Badlands start getting slammed...fair enough, it's one opinion, but this is the best pack some can afford or need, and they aren't crap. IMO they are a decent pack for the money. There are a lot of newbies on here looking for info. They may not need, or have the means for a $500+ pack. There are some on here that apparently feel if it ISN'T a $500 pack, then it's crap.

Beyond about page 4, there is no more useful information IMO, the thread degenerates into a whizzing contest. (Some attempted to interject some useful opinions but for the most part, were drowned out by the other "experts" and their, ahem.."opinions".)

Hope no one was offended by my attempt at humor, I respect everyone's opinion on here. That is, opinions related to gear, quality, experience, functionality, etc., but like I said, this thread was hijacked long ago and has reached a new level of absurdity, IMO.

Last edited by snubbie; 06/03/12. Reason: clarity

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by evanhill
[quote]...a thing all too rare in today's world.

What else is all to rare...especially here in the B'pack hunting world as of late...is someone starting up a new company, creating fresh new products and then marketing to tout the merits of said products...

It seems to be alot easier to nearly copy designs, then bash away at the competition on message boards, hoping to 'steal' some of the customer base.

Some things will never change I guess.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Im right there with you. When in 2001 I received my first Kifaru LH (Pre Internet days for me) I was so surprised when I received it, I couldn't believe that Kifaru had copied the internal Backpack design and I had no internet to express these thoughts and how upset it made me. Instead I embraced that Kifaru put their own spin on it and I hunted with it for many years.

I guess I always figured that if someone designed it there would be a patent, if no patent then so be it as Kifaru has a number of patents on his designs and the Tipi is not one of them as far as I can tell. Maybe I missed something but didn't see anyone bashing the design. Kifaru always touted there packs as made for the hunter so were they bashing all packs that didn't? Seems like were reaching here

Pete

Last edited by Pete_E; 06/04/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just went to Kifaru's site and they revamped there base pack Line. No more fleece, one pack size on the LH and no more Siwash or Day Stalker and revamped the Spike Camp and Late Season and have renamed all of them the "Legacy" series. Makes me want to order a Siwash as it was the one Kifaru pack I always wanted to use as I like Panel loaders.

This just goes to show that Manufacturers revamp there lines on demand and input.
We should be lucky that we have some good options available and we can choose a Hunting Specific pack or not but at least we have the choice. Had Kifaru not listened to Aron maybe they wouldn't have made the Timberline and started losing market share. (Funny how they incorporate pockets like a MR in a Kifaru way) If you have seen Aron's old posts he criticized Kifaru for there long waits yet had never used one.(a least I don't think he had used one) He has now used them and swears by them. Good for him, it shows he is open to new products and what works best for him. Some companies are doing stuff other companies won't do as they are getting too diversified so that gives us more options and alternatives. I always like to compare John Deere and New Holland. They both do the job well and both are quality machines but you pay more for the color green because it's Green but you can also sell it for more used because it's Green but some people really like Blue and works just as good if not better at times

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pete_E
I guess I always figured that if someone designed it there would be a patent, if no patent then so be it as Kifaru has a number of patents on his designs and the Tipi is not one of them as far as I can tell.

It'd be knd of tough for anyone (any modern man at least) to say he invented the tipi...... grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well, Smoke, you and I agree on that, at least.

I still have one of the earlier Chouinard Pyramids, the dual-colour blue ones, which I bought just when I resigned from the Canadian Coast Guard,1987-88 and used quite extensively. It was,AFAIK, one of the first of the lightweight,backpackable "tipi" type shelters available here in North America and the Integral Designs "George" shelter was another.

Still, I have a photo, just now being put on a CD so I can post it here, of a Fjallraven Expedition Tent, I bought in spring, 1973 and used for several years, largely winter camping in the Kootenays of BC. This, again to the best of my knowledge, was the first "Dacron" shelter, made to resist UV damage to the fabric and was a "tipi" type, but, double walled and,like so much Euro. gear,very costly.

There, is VERY little "new"in most types of outdoor gear and "internal packs" were commonplace in Europe,long before any of us ever lifted our first pack. My firsr were rucksacks brought by my paternal grandfather to Vancouver from Milwaukee in 1893 and I used them in 1956 and they are still made,to the same pattern, today.

S
S
http://blog.kuiu.com/2012/05/23/pre-order-2012-new-products/

The Icon is the world's first molded carbon fiber backpack frame. Check it out!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like you work for Kuiu or something?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a backpack with a CF frame, but it's not a KUIU

judging by the posts, I think BigW nailed it.

Last edited by Kevin_T; 06/20/12.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
He is doing the same thing on the Bowsite. phil

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (12344mag, 160user, 22kHornet, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,091
Posts18,501,919
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.