Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I agree, but there are lots of so called orders I do not follow, for example: no tobacco use on these premises, no weapons in the courthouse, wear your seat belt, all bodies of water, are waters of the state [BULLSH-T] I dug the [bleep]' holes these waters are mine laugh and they can FOAD if they think any different.

Gunner

Trump Won!

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by okbowman
As a country we have moved progressively left over the last 40 years. Why is this? There has been a back and forth shift in power between the Republicans and the Demcorats. Of course the Democrats always take things left, but why haven't Republicans move things back to the right when they get into power? It's because of chit like this. We all know that the Democrate party has moved left, but crap like this demonstrates how the Republican party has too. Therefore the center has shifted to the left, and we all suffer the consequences, both economically and socially, with an ever pervasive and meddling government, with the ever subsequent eroding of freedoms and liberties.
I love Oklahoma, have many relatives there, spend a significant amount of time there and in fact, will be there tomorrow. Y'alls politics down there are superior to Kansas'. I don't agree with Fallin. All that said, I get tired of smelling somebody's cigarette when I go someplace. If I get our lawn chairs positioned at my son's ball game and then some scrounger comes up and fires up a cancer stick, I get to do it all over again in an inferior place, if I can even find one. Secondhand smoke has been linked to cancer, so it is not all just not wanting to smell some dude's rancid [bleep] he's sucking on.

Again, I disagree, but lots of smokers are pretty aggressive, thinking you want to inhale their carcinogens.

How about a designated smoking area? Would that not accomodate most everyone? As far as second hand smoke goes, yes, it has been linked with cancer. But let's be realistic for just a moment. Occassionally passing someone outside and catching a whiff of cigarett smoke will not increase your chance of getting cancer. Living with a smoker who smokes in the house and constantly inhaling second hand smoke would, but it's totally unreasonable to think the occasional whiff would. Thinking that is not using any common sense, which has become a pervasive problem in our country. Examples of this include not allowing LEO's to ask for documentation when confronting suspected illegal immigrants, not allowing identification to be asked for when voting, and not allowing kids to be spanked.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like the title says. I'm beyond ticked at my governor, Republican Mary Fallin. A few months ago she issued an Executive Order banning the use of all tobacco products on state property, including in your vehicles parked on state property. We are not just talking about state employees, but ANYONE on ANY state property, including Wildlife Management Areas, lakes, parks, fairgrounds...everything!

Why would you do anything other than ignore her ban?

Smoke all ya want! Screw them!

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would take it through the courts.

This seems like an overstep of Power. Though, I admit that I know nothing about Oklahoma law.

Is this legal to make an executive order like this instead of going through the legislature to make it a law?

I mean, can she ban pants on all State Property?

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Redneck
Like the title says. I'm beyond ticked at my governor, Republican Mary Fallin. A few months ago she issued an Executive Order banning the use of all tobacco products on state property, including in your vehicles parked on state property. We are not just talking about state employees, but ANYONE on ANY state property, including Wildlife Management Areas, lakes, parks, fairgrounds...everything!

I don't care if tobacco is bad for you or not. I don't care if you use tobacco or not. Who the heck does she think she is making an executive order like this?

I'm all for not imposing things on others, and I think having a designated tobacco use area outside away from entrances to buildings is plenty fair. This is a common sense approach that accomadates pretty much everyone, but what she has done crosses the line.

Now I'm having a dilemma. I am 39 years old and have always been a registered Republican and voted as such. I have to be honest, at this time I am seriously considering voting democtatic in the next Oklahoma governor's race just to send a message! Again, who the heck does she think she is????
I hope you call her office and give her the same rant as you're giving here.. SHE needs to hear it - from you, and everyone else who's offended by it..

Get enough people riled up and maybe she'll get the hint and rescind the order..
I realize tobacco may be pretty important to a lot of folks, but how is voting to send a message on that smallish issue any different than a Paul voter who can't stomach Romney voting for a Libertarian or some such to send a message? To me the only difference is degree and the Paulista has a lot more to gripe about than the Okie Governor's stance on this one issue.

I'll be voting for Romney come November because I have to Cowboy up and do the best thing for our country and our freedoms.

I understand this, and I too will vote for Romney. However, therin lies the reason our country has shifted so far to the left over the last 40 years!

Liberals are in power and shift things way to the left. People are disgusted by this and when the next election comes they vote for the opposition. But the opposition isn't truly conservative, and doesn't bring everything fully back to the right. So when the next liberal is in power they are already starting at a place that is further left than the prior liberal started from. It's a downhill slide to the left over time. And we wonder why our country is in the shape it is in?

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by gunner500
I agree, but there are lots of so called orders I do not follow, for example: no tobacco use on these premises, no weapons in the courthouse, wear your seat belt, all bodies of water, are waters of the state [BULLSH-T] I dug the [bleep]' holes these waters are mine laugh and they can FOAD if they think any different.

Gunner

So what do you do when you are pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt and reciee a ticket? Do you ignore that too?

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
I would take it through the courts.

This seems like an overstep of Power. Though, I admit that I know nothing about Oklahoma law.

Is this legal to make an executive order like this instead of going through the legislature to make it a law?

I mean, can she ban pants on all State Property?

Apparently anything can be banned as long as it's in the name of better health.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Now I'm having a dilemma. I am 39 years old and have always been a registered Republican and voted as such. I have to be honest, at this time I am seriously considering voting democtatic in the next Oklahoma governor's race just to send a message! Again, who the heck does she think she is????

This is an overreaction.

I don't like civil liberties being taken away. I look at places back east trying to bad soda pop and it pisses me off.

That being said, I feel that this is an overreaction on your part. I have no problem banning the use of tobacco products on state property. Cigarette smoke SUCKS and I hate being subjected to it. If you want to kill yourself then fine, puff away but I shouldn't have to breathe in second hand smoke on my property or community property. Instead of just banning cigarettes it was probably easier to ban all tobacco products.

I was at the lake behind my house this past weekend and had my 10 week old daughter with me when a guy smoking a cigarette walks away from his family and up to where we were standing and just stood there puffing away. Unf&:)ingbelievable! I told him he needed to bounce that my 10 week old didn't need to inhale his smoke. It was rude and I wish they would do the same thing where I live

Cigarettes also cause fires and it's drier than a popcorn fart all across the country. One cigarette butt could cost the taxpayers millions of dollars in firefighting and property loss. You want to smoke then do it in your own home

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you pissed off because:

1) The Governor banned tobacco use on Gov't property via Executive order and not thru the legislature.

or

2) The Governor banned tobacco use on Gov't property.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hold a cigar herf on the state house steps...

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be ok with number 2.

Not so much with number 1, but like I said, I don't know OK law. That may be perfectly legal and a granted power of the office of Governor. If it's a legal power granted through OK law, then I say "oh well".

Don't like it? Change the law, or move.
If it's not a legal reach of power by State laws, then take it through the courts.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One reason there's such a backlash is that smokers make up over 25% of the population, and that doesn't count those who use smokeless. It's a big number and I'm willing to bet we're in the top 3 nationally in the number of smokers.

Seeing that it's State land and Gov't property, I imagine they can do whatever they want.

They can ban ATV's, ban hunting, ban fishing, ban camping, ban campfires on Gov't land on a whim if they wanted to. I don't see where this is any different.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Are you pissed off because:

1) The Governor banned tobacco use on Gov't property via Executive order and not thru the legislature.

or

2) The Governor banned tobacco use on Gov't property.

Both!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Redneck

I don't care if tobacco is bad for you or not. I don't care if you use tobacco or not. Who the heck does she think she is making an executive order like this?

I'm all for not imposing things on others, and I think having a designated tobacco use area outside away from entrances to buildings is plenty fair. This is a common sense approach that accomadates pretty much everyone, but what she has done crosses the line.

I hope you call her office and give her the same rant as you're giving here.. SHE needs to hear it - from you, and everyone else who's offended by it..

Get enough people riled up and maybe she'll get the hint and rescind the order..
I realize tobacco may be pretty important to a lot of folks, but how is voting to send a message on that smallish issue any different than a Paul voter who can't stomach Romney voting for a Libertarian or some such to send a message? To me the only difference is degree and the Paulista has a lot more to gripe about than the Okie Governor's stance on this one issue.

I'll be voting for Romney come November because I have to Cowboy up and do the best thing for our country and our freedoms.

I understand this, and I too will vote for Romney. However, therin lies the reason our country has shifted so far to the left over the last 40 years!

Liberals are in power and shift things way to the left. People are disgusted by this and when the next election comes they vote for the opposition. But the opposition isn't truly conservative, and doesn't bring everything fully back to the right. So when the next liberal is in power they are already starting at a place that is further left than the prior liberal started from. It's a downhill slide to the left over time. And we wonder why our country is in the shape it is in?
I think you're misunderstanding my meaning. I'm saying that there is more reason to not vote for Romney over things he has done and said than there is to not vote for your own governor over the smoking thing, at least to my mind.

I'm voting for Romney too and even if I was a Tobacco User, I'd vote for your Republican Governor.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One reason there's such a backlash is that smokers make up over 25% of the population, and that doesn't count those who use smokeless. It's a big number and I'm willing to bet we're in the top 3 nationally in the number of smokers.

Seeing that it's State land and Gov't property, I imagine they can do whatever they want.

They can ban ATV's, ban hunting, ban fishing, ban camping, ban campfires on Gov't land on a whim if they wanted to. I don't see where this is any different.
I don't mean to be nit-picky, but I don't think smokers come near being 25% of the population, either country-wide or state-wide in Oklahoma.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by huntsonora

This is an overreaction.

I don't like civil liberties being taken away. I look at places back east trying to bad soda pop and it pisses me off.

That being said, I feel that this is an overreaction on your part. I have no problem banning the use of tobacco products on state property. Cigarette smoke SUCKS and I hate being subjected to it. If you want to kill yourself then fine, puff away but I shouldn't have to breathe in second hand smoke on my property or community property. Instead of just banning cigarettes it was probably easier to ban all tobacco products.

I was at the lake behind my house this past weekend and had my 10 week old daughter with me when a guy smoking a cigarette walks away from his family and up to where we were standing and just stood there puffing away. Unf&:)ingbelievable! I told him he needed to bounce that my 10 week old didn't need to inhale his smoke. It was rude and I wish they would do the same thing where I live

Cigarettes also cause fires and it's drier than a popcorn fart all across the country. One cigarette butt could cost the taxpayers millions of dollars in firefighting and property loss. You want to smoke then do it in your own home

I agree 100%. The OP is not a conservative if he is now going to vote for a Democrat over an issue like this. He is just using this to vent against a Republican Governor. If you need tobacco use smokless tobacco while you are on State property.

Last edited by Cahaba; 06/22/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't mean to be nit-picky, but I don't think smokers come near being 25% of the population, either country-wide or state-wide in Oklahoma.

Smokers are everywhere in my neck of the woods.... wink

http://smokefree.gov/map.aspx

http://www.gallup.com/poll/150779/Smoking-Rates-Remain-Highest-Kentucky-Lowest-Utah.aspx#1

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by huntsonora

This is an overreaction.

When something impacts you and you care will that be an overreaction?

I agree, it was rude for that man to to that. I don't do that. In fact I ALWAYS seperate myself from others when I smoke, nor do I smoke in my house. Are you going to legislate all rude behavior?

If I am 200 feet away from you and you get a slight whiff of my cig tough, get over it. That's not going to hurt you nor have any negative implications on your health or that of your baby daughter's.

I also use my ashtray and do not toss my butts out the window. That's called littering and is already against the law. Banning cigarrets to prevent this is no different than banning guns because people get killed by them. Of course you will look at that differently because you like guns and dislike smoking, but it's the same damn thing. If you are foolish enough to not care if other people's rights are squashed, or at the very minimun to not allow them reasonable accomadation, then you have no right complaining when your rights get squashed.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O

Just because they can doesn't make it right! As far as state land goes the last time I checked the Governor doesn't own it, the citizens of Oklahoma do!

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O

I don't give a chit if smokers make up 5%. My rights are my rights and majority rule should not stomp on them.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,074
Posts18,482,669
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.