-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I shipped my clothes home via the post office and when I opened the boxes I realized just how much bear fat soaked into my clothes while I was processing it.

After a couple washes, they still smell like a bear. I'm no expert, but I bet that's not a good smell to be carrying into elk and deer country.

Anybody had this problem and found a way to get it out?

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It might arouse some interest and an approach. We watched two curious cow elk come to within 10 yds of a nice big chocolate bear as he was digging camas on an open ridge about 3 weeks ago. Eventually the bear was the one that moved off.

1Minute
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
This spring we watched two elk watching a grizzly sow and her two year old cub from 50 yards away. The elk were attentive but it didn't look like the grizzlies cared a whole lot.

I would try and find a very nonpolar solvent to dissolve the fat in. Something like hexanes or diethyl ether. I work in a chemistry research lab at college, so I don't really know if people elsewhere can obtain those solvents. But if you can I might give those a try. Another way may be to soak it in a very basic solution of water. This would turn the fat into soap since soap is just fatty acid salts. I would test that out on a piece of clothing that you didn't care a whole lot about, though.

Another option is to take it to a dry cleaners if you didn't want to bother yourself. They either use dichloromethane or carbon dioxide, both of which are nonpolar and might be able to dissolve the fat.

Nels
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Put your clothes in a plastic bucket. Pour a pint of Hoppe's #9 over the whole mess. Put the lid on tightly and leave sealed for 17 days. When you remove them they'll be fresh and clean, just like the bore of your rifle, and smell good also. grin

Or, more seriously, you might just try hang them out of the weather, but in fresh air for a couple of weeks to see if that helps. It should.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been successful using Woolite and a whirlpool tub. Has worked on my Eberlestock pack several times.

It's not the destination...
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I used to use bear tallow for patch lube for a ML. I finally went to mink oil. Smell got to me.

I'd like to know how to get rid of the smell too, because it's a great lube.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I'd like to know how to get rid of the smell too, because it's a great lube.

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would plain jane old Dawn work? I believe they make an unscented version

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks yall, will report results.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Scopolamine
I shipped my clothes home via the post office and when I opened the boxes I realized just how much bear fat soaked into my clothes while I was processing it.

After a couple washes, they still smell like a bear. I'm no expert, but I bet that's not a good smell to be carrying into elk and deer country.

Anybody had this problem and found a way to get it out?

I had luck cleaning clothes after dealing with greasy bears and other well feed game buy adding one cup of purple stuff, super clean or what ever its called now to the load of wash with the tallow fouled clothing.

To get the smell out of the blubber its self to use as a lube, cut it with a little hoppys no.9 or diesel mabe..... whistle

Last edited by boomwack; 06/21/12.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not saying it WILL work, but I used to pour a cup of white vinegar in 3 gallon of water and wash my scraped furs in to get the fat and grease out.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nothing gets it out. I retrieved the bullet from my brown bear, soaked it in alcohol for a week and it still smells like bear lol

[Linked Image]

If you shot a sow, just don't wear those clothes during the spring mating season ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Castrol Super Clean found in the automotive sections.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OxyClean

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dreft detergent and grease relief spot remover. Or just send to a dry cleaner as someone said. After this wash with plain green soap or any unscented soap with a little Borax and Baking powder. Air dry in a shady spot for a couple days.

I would be more concerned about randy bears than spooking game.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Give them to someone you don't like, then go buy new.....

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, after several normal washings and a two day soak in vinegar, dawn and water, they all pass my smell test. Thanks for the help.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry, I'm too late. I was going to suggest a washing in 1 1/2 gal of premium Chevron gas and the application of one kitchen match.

1Minute
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 1minute
Sorry, I'm too late. I was going to suggest a washing in 1 1/2 gal of premium Chevron gas and the application of one kitchen match.

Not much a nice hot fire can't fix!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (222Sako, 1936M71, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,442
Posts18,489,508
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.