-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Target shooters realize that a good trigger is just as important - often more so- than a good barrel or sights.

Assuming wise bullet choice, both the 30-06 and the 45-70 are both perfectly adequate for big bears. The 30-06 is a lot more versatile over a greater range but under 50 yards it is hard to beat the 45-70.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The best scope or rifle in the world (whatever they are) doesn't help hit if the trigger doesn't trip at the right moment.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 458Win
it's just that we don't always learn what we hoped to.

grin grin grin

Or what we SHOULD learn, methinks... wink

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
This entire thread has been interesting and refreshing. And it reminds me of what a funny place the optics forum can be. smile

Al

Spend your life wisely.
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Hope someone will be patient and answer a question that may have a totally obvious answer. Would one of these triggers work OK if I simply replaced a Timney that is in a G33/40 with a side swing two position safety installed? Is it just a matter of swapping the triggers out?

Al

Spend your life wisely.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Might, might not. In 98's it's best to install the desired trigger, then the safety.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Might, might not. In 98's it's best to install the desired trigger, then the safety.

Thanks! Since I don't have any real complaints about the Timney, I'll leave well enough alone.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ive been considering a Timney trigger for my custom Arisaka for a couple of years now, but havent done it yet. Part of me
cant justify it for some reason.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a few bucks more, in installed a Kepplinger.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The best scope or rifle in the world (whatever they are) doesn't help hit if the trigger doesn't trip at the right moment.

And unlike a scope, a trigger, especially the simple "M70 type" ones are much less likely to be affected by weather, regardless of cost.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, which is I installed the Alaska Arms trigger on my action, instead of an "enclosed" trigger like a Remington 700's, or even the Kepplinger. "Open" triggers like the M70 and military 98 are much less likely to gum up from dust or freeze.

The action the Alaska Arms trigger went on is being turned into a hunting rifle in .270 Winchester, much to Ingwe's dismay--even though I also have another "pure" hunting rifle in 7x57, built on a Montana 1999 action which also has a M70 style trigger.

John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Been more than pleased with the Blackburn's I have used over the years. Never a problem. That said, has anyone used the Huber trigger? Looks lean and proper with little to no wood removal required.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having seen more than my share of trigger woes on rifles being used, and abused, in the wet, rugged and remote parts of Alaska - I am a firm believer in the KISS principle , especially when it comes to something as important as a trigger.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Exactly why I asked about the Huber. Seems as simple as they come.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I keep coming back to this thread........it is probably going to cost me some money. eek

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
EdM,

I tried a Huber on a 1903 Springfield once, and it is simple and worked quite well. However, the Springfield was a Sedgely in all original condition, and even the Huber would have required the removal of too much original wood, so I just installed the trigger on the action and tested the pull, then took it off again.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Having seen more than my share of trigger woes on rifles being used, and abused, in the wet, rugged and remote parts of Alaska - I am a firm believer in the KISS principle , especially when it comes to something as important as a trigger.

Amen.

The reason I have (mostly) not built on Mausers is because an aftermarket M70-type trigger was not available....I'm glad that has changed;although the Blackburn Mauser trigger has been very good.

That said, I need one of these new Alaskan Arms units. eek

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have two sets of Morris's mounts and cannot fault them.
One of these days I shall purchase one of his triggers for a ZG47 in .375 Ruger, sporting a slim but heavy/dense walking stock, a set of his mounts and a machined Sako peep sight that can be stored under a grip cap.

For what it is worth, Morris has been one of the easiest Gentlemen I have ever had the pleasure to deal with.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
M
Makes us wonder how many potentialy good shooting rifles got traded off because of bad triggers.

Phil, I know you see quite a few Ruger 77's in camp, so what's the verdict on the newer (LC6 I think it's called) trigger?

Murf

It aint whatcha you shoot...it's how you shoot it
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If talking in terms of a KISS 98 Mauser for remote backcountry use and maintenance, what's wrong with a well fit 2-stage 98 combat trigger with flag safety for fixed sights, or with wing safety for optical sights. The 2-stage trigger can break cleanly at a good hunting weight and will function in the worst conditions. Don't think anyone would be wanting a complicated trigger or one that breaks at mere ounces if talking in terms of a rough use wilderness rifle. The older Winchester design is a nice refinement of the Mauser trigger, but it seems like the battle trigger would be the bomb-proof route if your life depended upon zero failures.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,585
Posts18,511,024
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.