-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
In buying these I have an issue in believing that the rings will line up well enough to not damage the scope.

I am putting them on a SC Winchester 270WSM so I know the manufacturing has tight tolerances but is it good enough for one piece rings and bases?

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just fine and if there is something amiss it isn't with the mounts.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
M
M
I put them on my SC Model 70 7mm-08 with a 2.5x8 Zeiss Conquest and they fit perfectly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am putting them on a SC Winchester 270WSM so I know the manufacturing has tight tolerances
And you know this how?

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
These are great rings/bases. I've only had one incident where there was a problem and it was with the rifle (a Weatherby Mark V that went back to the factory). The folks at Talley are super to work with. Good people, good stuff. You can check for a problem by putting a straight 1" dowel or pipe in the rings and see how it lines up and see if it lays straight with the barrel.

Golden............
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I am putting them on a SC Winchester 270WSM so I know the manufacturing has tight tolerances
And you know this how?

Because of the CNC work evident on the rifle. Do I know if its perfect no, who would. I guess my curiousity is if others had issues with the rifle itself and installing those rings/bases on without any adjustment avaliable. Perhaps I did not explin myself correctly.

Last edited by elkhunter130; 06/28/12.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What would be the difference between Talley's and any other ring/base if the receiver were drilled wrong?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Elkhunter, I always make an allowance for any minor differences in the machining by bedding my one piece ring/bases. Here is what I do: Clean top of receiver and bottom of bases. Apply release agent to the rifles receiver, receiver screw holes, screws and ring/base screw holes (no release agent on the bottoms of the ring/bases. Mix your epoxy and apply a thin coat to the bottoms of the ring/bases. Mount them onto the rifles receiver, but do not tighten the screws any farther than when it squeezes most of the epoxy out. allowing the ring/bases to move just a bit. Next, mount your scope, tightening the ring caps as you normally would. Put a rubber band around the scope and rifle at each end of the scope. Carefully remove the excess epoxy from the ring/bases and receiver. After 12 hours or more, remove the scope and ring/bases, clean the release agent from the rifles receiver and mount your ring/bases and scope as you normally would. Now you have as near perfect alignment as possible between your ring/bases and receiver and your scope will be stress free.

Last edited by rj308; 06/28/12.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I've got talleys on every rifle except my 6.5-284. Most of my friends have gone to them as well. No issues yet. If I was that nervous I'd bed them as mentioned above and lap them....but I've not done that yet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Talleys fit like a sock on a rooster whistle

Just jokin'�..don't over tighten and commence firing brutha! They are by far my favorites.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Im runing them on atleast 5 different model 70s without any problems whatsoever......

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To my way of thinking, the Talley LWs are the best option out there. Not bad looking either. I wish I could put them on my Ruger 77s too.

Last edited by lastround; 06/29/12.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by GeoW
What would be the difference between Talley's and any other ring/base if the receiver were drilled wrong?

In the case of the Weatherby I mentioned, I could have put Leupold bases with the rear windage adjustments on and that would have "corrected" the out of alignment due to the incorrectly drilled reciever. I can see where it could torque the scope if the drill job was out of line to each other but I've not come accross it.

Golden............
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have them on several syn stocked rifles, like 'em a lot, they do a fine job.

But, to me they dont look just right on my wood stocked rifles, guess I'm just retarded that way.

Gunner

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Always lap any ring/base. Easy and cheap insurance.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GeoW

Good Point - I just hope they are not I guess

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 007FJ, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 1,792 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,071
Posts18,521,675
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.