-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stevie Ray rocked! But for enthusiasm, I gotta go woth Ted Nugent. There was also a guy by the name of Robin Trower that could pluck a string pretty well.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorites would be Page, uncle Ted, and Ritchie Blackmore. Always loved Blackmores stuff.
<br> (Yeah, Bill's in his 40s) [Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Going to have to reach back a ways on this one. Blind Lemon Jefferson and Lightnin Hopkins. Jefferson taught Lightnin. I heard them both in person. Blues men. Either could make it talk.
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ah ha one of my favorite questions.... Of course there are many great players, Mine is the Incomprable Steve Ray Vaugh, such a loss, second would be Danny Gatton, another lost soul, then of course Jimi, All are gone It might not be a good thing for the music business for me to have a favorite.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'v got to go with Duane Allman also,have'nt bought anything by the Allman Brothers Band since Eat A Peach.Except for replacing copies of their Live At Fillmore Album.Theres also a "best of," still out I think with a lot of his studio stuff on it,the Sun Sessions, with Wilson Pickett,Redding and of course Clapton. Robin Trower was great too,wore out many copies of Bridge Of Sighs, I think he was one of the original Procul Harem.
<br>Jeff

Jeff

I'm NOT the JScottRupp of Wolfe Publishing.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Holy Cripes, I'm likin' this place better right along. I haven't the slightest idea why, but when I saw this thread I thought "OK, gonna be country guys predominantly". Sheesh, wrong again.... Of course, Chet Atkins rules. I like all the other mentioned, although I kind of have a low tolerance for Trowerish type stuff ;-).
<br>Anyway, any of you guys play? I thought about mentioning myself as favorite guitarist, but that thought passed quickly. I suck... Actually I am half credible on rhythm type stuff, and can sing better than some, but never mastered the flashy guitar god lead stuff. I did manage to "just about" completely nail "Blue Sky" by the Allmans the other night though. That's one of my all-time favorites.
<br>Played in a band in high school and shortly thereafter that played almost completely Rolling Stones ;-). One of those guys went on to become at least semi-famous; Wylie and the Wild West Show. Known mostly for his yodeling, but he's a damn fine bass player. During college a buddy and I had a duo thing, & played coffee houses & such. No, it wasn't sensitive touchy-feely folkie stuff, we used acoustics and electrics in all possible combinations and did some fairly rockin' stuff for two guys. Even still, when somebody asks me out of the blue to "play something", I sometimes play a song my partner John wrote in about five minutes one day, "Pickin' my nose and eatin' it (is what I like to do)". It's actually not a bad song, and has obvious humor value....
<br>Anyway, I did get up & play at an open mic thing a while back, and that was the first time played for more than a handful of people in years. And it was kinda fun....
<br>Besides these hunting boards, one of my favorite hangouts is the Guitarist Forum, http://www.guitaristforum.com/cgi-bin/HyperNews/get/guitarist.html
<br>
<br>There's some truly awful flame wars going there at the moment, mainly due to a guy who was booted a couple years back and recently got back in due to software changes. Generally, though, it's a really good bunch of folks with some monster players.
<br>
<br>To wind up with an on-track contribution here, though, sheesh, I can't pick just one favorite, but A favorite you don't see mentioned much is Lowell George. One of the founding members of Little Feat, who tragically bought the farm due to overindulgence. A great slide guitarist, singer, and songwriter, though. "Willin" is hands down the best truck driving song ever, IMO. Should be a country classic, and he wrote it while playing with Frank Zappa's Mother's of Invention. So go figure....
<br>
<br>

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Rimrock,
<br>Are you nailing the rythm or the leads on Blue Sky?If you are nailing the leads,you are much,much better than average.Duane and Dickey play some pretty complicated stuff on that one.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BTW, a bit of southern R&R trivia, Lynyrd Skynyrds Free Bird was written as a tribute to Duane.
<br>Jeff

Jeff

I'm NOT the JScottRupp of Wolfe Publishing.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
JScottRupp,
<br>
<br>I've heard that story a lot,and I belive it was written as a tribute to Duane while he was still alive-this is due to the fact that the song was released in 1970,and Duane Allman died in October 1971.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my musical career, I prefered '80's hardrock bands.
<br>Eddie Van Halen, George Lynch, Vito Bratta, Steve Vai, and some others.
<br>~~~Suluuq

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
WB- the leads. The rythym is plumb simple on that one. Most of the leads aren't that hard either, or at least they follow patterns that my brain and fingers can relate to. There's one little section (not sure if it's Duane or Dickey) of a few bars that's the most gorgeous sort of western swing, Bob Willsish lick that has always eluded me, though. Now they've got these computer programs that slow things down to half speed while maintaining pitch, & I may have to resort to something like that :-).

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Favorite guitarist, all-time?
<br>
<br>Aaaargh. Can't do it, unless by genre. Even then I have to give two.
<br>
<br>Metal: Yngwie Malmsteen, Eddie Van Halen
<br>Rock: Jimmy Page, Robert Fripp (King Crimson)
<br>Blues: Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan
<br>Classical Rock: Jan Akkerman, Martin Barre (from Tull)
<br>
<br>Easier for me to do BASS guitarists:
<br>
<br>Nathan East (Clapton's band)
<br>Chris Squire (Yes)
<br>Billy Sheehan (Mr. Big)
<br>

Own Drummer sez:

"The only gun control needed: 3 bullets, 1 hole."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How could we get this far and not mention Ted Nugent?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you look back on the thread, I believe ebd10 and Bill in NE mentioned him. Not many left out.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oops; this always happens when Monday is on Tuesday. Somebody must have made decaf...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't feel bad, this is my Monday too and it sucks!!

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Lets see, .....
<br>
<br>Eddie Van Halen has been mentioned more than a few times. I've always admired the chord progressions he uses. At times very un-othodox, but it works and very well. When I was younger I saw him twice (Fair warning, and Diver Down tours). Don't forget Peter Frampton, Tom Scholtz (of Boston), and Neil Schaun (Journey). Chet atkins was no slouch either. As I recall, he played two different songs simultaniously, and each could be heard distinctly. ........... That's pure talent & concentration.
<br>
<br>Mark.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The best guitarists where Segovia and Montaya. Both had a command of the instrument unmatched by anyone. In the pop scene,two come to mind. Les Paul and Chet Atkins.

4pwr
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Picking a favorite is tough, but I'd go with Jimmy Page. Then in a very close tie for second place : Clapton, Peter Green, Mick Taylor, Jimi, Pete Townsend, SRV, Duanne / Dickey / Warren, Mick Ronson, Keith Richards, Freddie King, George Harrison, Joe Perry, Billy Gibbons, and so on.
<br>
<br>Bass is easier.
<br>Paul McCartney
<br>John Paul Jones
<br>John Entwistle
<br>Chris Squire
<br>
<br>McCartney is the reason I started playing 23 years ago.
<br>I'm sure I missed a few.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Jimi Hendrix for his National Anthem and creativity
<br>
<br>Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath) for technical abilities and awesome riffs.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (69sportfury, 17CalFan, Akhutr, 450yukon, 375sunrise, 907brass, 15 invisible), 1,566 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,526
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.