Print Thread
Hop To
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I picked up a M1896 Krag action with the idea of building a G&H pre war-style Krag sporter. Imagine my surprise/delight when I found it to check out on the partial list of Krag carbines issued to the 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry (Rough Riders). Evidently it was issued to one Richard Whittington, Troop G. I wonder with all my heart if he carried it up San Juan Hill and Kettle Hill, July, 1898. With my luck he was one of the guys who got dysentery right off the boat and his carbine spent the campaign propped against the [bleep] wall. I've been looking for an excuse to go downtown to the National Archives and this might be it.

The dilemma arises now in what to do with it. Like I said it is a (complete) action only. If I 'restore' it to originality it won't be any more 'original' than if I stuck to the original plan of building a classy sporter on it. Frankly, I'm leaning in that direction. 'Restoring' it will cost as much, if not more actually, than Plan A. (Original 1896 Carbine sights alone fetch about as much as a Stith setup for a 99. Minty original barrels fetch as much as a new premium barrel. I don't even want to think about what an original nice 1896 carbine stock is worth.)

I wonder what Trooper Whittington would do? smile

Last edited by gnoahhh; 06/28/12.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
grin decissions decissions life is full of those little things ,whatever you do will be right [at least in your mind]
not necessarly insomebody elses grin confused cool

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Richard spelled out S-P-O-R-T-E-R on my Ouija board.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I keep finding G troop.

"WHITTINGTON, Richard; Gallup, NM; Pvt., G Troop; 25, 5ft., 9-3/ins., fair, brown, light-brown; born Charleston, WV; joined May 3, Santa Fe, NM; miner; single. "

Remembering The 99
IC B2

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
You're right, Troop G.

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Another tidbit about the RR's was that T.Roosevelt used his influence as a recent undersecretary of the Navy to get the guys issued Krag carbines. Other Volunteer units had to make do with Trapdoor Springfields and resented the 'glory boys' of the RR's their Krags. Officers in the RR's were issued with Winchester 95's, in .30 Army (.30/40 Krag). I wonder if they had to purchase those '95s or if TR bought them. Too bad they didn't go with Savage 95's. The amazing thing was they declared war in early April, then formed the Volunteer units, and had them in combat by the end of June. I wonder which parts of the training program they skipped.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I wonder which parts of the training program they skipped.

Everything between "Son, Let me buy you a drink" and "FIRE!" grin

Remembering The 99
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Gary id go with the Sporter plan, shoot and enjoy it, Plus you have the History, on the reciver, nice to talk about in hunting camp, savage fest ect.!

John

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Hey Guys
What data base are you accessing to get your information?. In 2005 I had to send off to Springfield Research Services to get information on a Krag I bought at a gun show. Turns out it was used in the Phillipines insurrection by a trooper who had a drinking problem and spent a lot of time in confinement. Would be interested to know if this information is now available on line.

IC B3

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I got this info in the serial # lists in the back of Mallory/Olson's book on the Krag. They listed all of the known RR #'s that they knew of back when the book was published, but is only a partial list, containing maybe 1/5 of that unit's #'s.

I just checked and SRS is defunct, as of when Frank Mallory died.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 06/28/12.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got my info in a google search for "Rough Riders Richard Whittington"

Remembering The 99
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
very interesting, thanks

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by saddlering
Gary id go with the Sporter plan, shoot and enjoy it, Plus you have the History, on the reciver, nice to talk about in hunting camp, savage fest ect.!

John

I agree with John. Can you have it done by the Savage Fest? smile smile smile

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 338reddog, 16 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,806
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.