Print Thread
Hop To
F
fararms Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I recently aquired an unfinished Brown Precision stock from a member here. I can handle the glass bedding and fitment of barreled action into stock. I'm not sure what the best method of external stock finish is? I've filed down the excess material left from the mold, what is the best material to use to fill in the small depressed areas next to where the mold closed? These areas aren't real deep, 1/16 to 1/32 maybe. Bondo? Bondo with kitty hair? Regular fiberglass epoxy? Need suggestions for prep prior to paint. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Epoxy with micro balloons. Harder than bondo and light. Could go with straight epoxy if the the voids are small as you say. Done both with no issues.

Personally I wouldn't use bondo.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Karnis
Could go with straight epoxy if the the voids are small as you say.

Agreed.

All of my Brown Precisions have been surprisingly close as far as finish is concerned. Very small air bubble pockets, minor mold marks, etc. Nothing that would add any meaningful weight, regardless of what I filled them with.

Yes, they needed "something" done to them, but very small and very thin "patches" were all they ever took.

Of course, I finish them to the point that I can hit them with a rattle can camo finish, so they don't look like a Ferrari paint job either when I'm done. blush

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
karnis where do you get epoxy with micro ballons, do you have a brand name ?

thanks Ed

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I figured if bondo was good enough for McMillan to use, it was good enough to use on Browns, High Techs, and the rest.

My biggest concern is that there is mold release in the depressions and voids, so I either scrub with a clean wire brush or if my sandblasting cabinet is set up I just lightly blast the whole thing with 30-40 psi, which helps paint adhesion too

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Epoxy doesn't come with micro ballons. The way i understand it, micro balloon or other "fillers" are used to add density to the epoxy so it can be built up and to keep it from trying to self level. There are lots of fillers out there that vary in structural strengths.

I have used West System marine epoxy with Cabosil ( thin powdered chopped fiberglass) mixed to a cream cheeseish consistency with great results. Fills pin holes And mold lines well but can also be built up and after hardening can be shaped to form palm swells or modify cheek pieces.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If you are afraid the pockets hold mold release, IMHO you should open up the hole to remove the material that is suspect... assuming you remove the minimum material. If you can't get a razor blade in there, use an appropriate burr in a dremel or drill bit. Also roughen up the area before the new epoxy is applied gives it more chance of not popping off down the road.

Good luck

Allen

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I would go with the bondo for fiberglass. Can flex without cracking the way regular bondo can.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
As was said I clean out the hole and simply use epoxy. If you are changing the shape etc then I would consider a filler.

Just my 2 cents.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 1234
karnis where do you get epoxy with micro ballons, do you have a brand name ?

thanks Ed

Hobby shops that carry model airplane building supplies have it. Top Flite is a common brand.

IC B3

Micro balloons will make a patch easier to sand but the main function of it is to be lightweight.
Use acetone and scrub the stock down to get rid of mold release. We would also scrub them with simple green before they went to the finish room.
Bondo works great but has a pretty short work time. For pinholes, I prefer spot putty. Anything bigger than that use bondo, or if youre really worried about it, use marine tex.

F
fararms Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thanks for all the input. I enjoy projects, but this is one of about 8 I've got going right now!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Evercoat polester glazing putty

Try this.
I have used this on many Brown stocks.
It can be thinned with acetone slightly to fill all the pinholes.
When fully cured it is very hard and durable.

Micro-ballons are great for filling barrel channels .

Glenn

Last edited by Stonewall; 06/29/12.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,393
Posts18,488,781
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.