Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Here are a few 45-70 340 grn I just cast this morning. The shinies look cool but the dull bullets seem to have more definition. Is there any real difference between them and if so, which is preferred?

[Linked Image]

GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
The mold was hotter on the dull looking bullet, thus the better fill out and definition. Casting good, consistent bullets is all about proper mold temperature and the control that temperature in a narrow range. It can be done with your alloy at 650 F or 750 F by adjusting your casting cadence. Best to cast at the lowest temperature needed. As far as a difference between shiny or dull bullets, when they both have identical, sharp fill out, not too much. Lube can adhere better to the dull bullets due to surface roughness. Load the dull ones and use a cotton cloth to buff the nose. It'll be nice and shiny.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep, what he said! (I would drop those shiny less filled out ones back in the pot.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If it was my shop boolit 1 2 3 are going back to the pot for another try. BABore knows cast and is a great mold maker! He gave good advice Hi BABore have not seen you on the webb.Hope things are going well. Clint

just for Fun
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
what ever they look like I prefer them to be filled out completely, usually the dull ones suit my needs, plus they hold more lube. smile

Last edited by blammer; 06/25/12.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Besides the dull one do not reflect the light for the deer to see and move out of the way!!!!Clint

just for Fun
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
thanks for the tips

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the alloy and/or the mold gets too hot and the bullets come out too frosted, you could have brittle bullets.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by lastround
If the alloy and/or the mold gets too hot and the bullets come out too frosted, you could have brittle bullets.

I'm fascinated. Please explain in detail.

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
yea, this I gotta hear.

oh wait, I think he was trying to be funny. smile

Last edited by blammer; 06/26/12.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hope he was trying to be funny...you never know!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
to be on the safe side send me a couple thousand to test.

STRIKE WHILE THE IRON'S HOT
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Actually, what he stated is correct. If you water drop WW's or even 50/50 WW-Pb, when heavily frosted and barely set, the grain structure is extremely coarse resulting in a very brittle bullet. Most of you guys know 357Max and Dutch4122 from the CB forum. 357Max casted some of the described bullets for his 7mm. At the range he snapped off the nose of the bullet when chambering the loaded round. A few additional bullets were snapped with pliers for confirmation.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
better make it three thousand.

STRIKE WHILE THE IRON'S HOT
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by horseshoer
better make it three thousand.

And a pair of pliers too.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Had a few 9mm boolit break in two in the lube grove from dropping to hot. Clint

just for Fun
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by clintsfolly
Besides the dull one do not reflect the light for the deer to see and move out of the way!!!!Clint

It seems you hunt the same deer I do. I quit using shinny bullets a few years back.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if you get the alloy correct and if your using wheel weights as your main source of lead,youll want to add about 5%-6% tin to 95% -94% wheel weights by weight youll avoid that brittle issue even casting so hot they look frosted and dropped strait into a 5 gallon bucket of water, strait wheel weights without tin tend to be brittle, the resulting bullet may be fairly hard but if you take and whack one with a 3 lb hammer that has the tin added to the alloy, on the concrete floor it rivets out and doesn,t shatter, most guys just don,t add enough tin.
try to cast at abut 750 degrees, or just a bit below the temp they look totally frosted on the surface.
Ive killed dozens of hogs with my 44 mag using those 300 grain, bullets and almost all exit, but the few I find are riveted out a bit on the nose
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...=lyman+300+grain&GO.x=22&GO.y=13

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm#tin

Last edited by 340mag; 08/07/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a fine bullet you're using 340mag. I use the RCBS version.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of interesting comments on this thread, and some that go contrary to my experience.

If casting bullets from straight wheel weights, then you'll want to get the mold hot enough to drop frosty bullets. If the bullets are shiny, the mold isn't hot enough, and you will not get a complete fillout of the mold.

Heavily frosted bullets are no more brittle than shiny ones, once they have cooled. Yes, if you drop a barely solidified bullet from a mold onto a hard surface, the bullet will bend or even break in two. It's not brittle, it's just not solid!

As to water quenching, that is an entirely different subject, and yes it can be used to make a harder bullet, but it will be a brittle bullet at higher velocities. Some guns require the harder bullet to attain accuracy, but I haven't found this to always be the case. Also the brittle issue is related to impact velocity, a water quenched ww bullet at 1100-1200 fps is not going to be a brittle bullet.

[Linked Image]
460 gr .476" bullets launched at 1100 fps from a 480. Bullet on left through 38" of wet newsprint, bullet on right 2+" of bone and 10+" inches of wet newsprint. Bullets cast from ww dropped into a 5 gal bucket of water.

Wheel weights that are air cooled with a bhn of ~13 tend to be very predictable on game and don't suffer from brittleness with impact velocities up to 1800 fps. A properly fit bullet with a good lube isn't going to cause leading issues either.

Adding tin is an option to aid in fillout and to add some maleability. However it's an expensive way to go at ~#17/lb. 1-2% tin added to wheelweights will give you most of the advantages gained via tin without nearly doubling the cost of your bullets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 76 invisible), 3,138 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,354
Posts18,487,934
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.