Kona Hawaii fishing report 5/24/02
<br>
<br>The marlin bite has been a bit slow for Kona but the fish sizes have been BIG! The largest since my last report was a 848 pounder caught on the Ihu Nui. There have been several caught in the 300 to 600 pound range in the past month. Also many rumors of �granders� that have fought and won their battles. I still remain in 4th place for Kona�s biggest marlin of the year but I don�t think I�ll stay there long. There have been 2 fish recently that were real close. The striped marlin have moved out of Kona for the year so my �biggest of the year� striped marlin record appears to be safe. There�s an article about it in this months issue of Sport Fishing Magazine.
<br>
<br>The spearfish are here! So much for my prediction last month about them not showing this year. The fishing seasons are a bit messed up. Can�t these fish learn how to read the calendar? The �shibi� that were supposed to show up at the beginning of winter are just showing up now. Lots of action on the FAD�s. The mahi mahi are biting like they�re supposed to, the ono are starting to show up along with some yellowfin tuna bites here and there. Most of what�s being caught in Kona right now is mahi mahi and ono.
<br>
<br>The bottom fishing bite has slowed down a bunch. Not because they�re not down there but because they�re being real picky about what they�ll eat. Sea conditions and bait availability is changing on a day-to-day basis. It makes it hard to plan a course of action. I�ve been switching style, target species and gear several times a day to make sure my anglers don�t get skunked. I still maintain the highest sportfish catch rate in Kona.
<br>
<br>See �ya on the water ,
<br>Capt. Jeff Rogers ,
<br>http://FISHinKONA.com
<br>