Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Ali Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hoping for some guidance here. Found a Ruger M77 II in 338 Win Mag at the local dealer. Very low round count, maybe less than 10. Has a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope and comes with 50 rds of ammo.
Asking price $595 + tax.

One is this a fair price (I am located in Iowa)?

Two any pros or cons on this model vs Savage, Winchester, etc?

Just not familiar with this model and could use some input.

Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Blued or stainless? what model Bushnell scope?

A
Ali Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Stainless. No more specifics on scope. Also has scout stock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just recently bought two walnut and matte finished Hawkeyes for $450 apiece. One in 223 and the other in 338 Win. Mag. They were new and on closeout.

`Bring Enough Gun`
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Ali
Stainless. No more specifics on scope. Also has scout stock.

What is a scout stock?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's a meat rifle here in Alaska. Guys could care less if it doesn't sport a swirly or edge. That would be a steal up here, esp if it's like new.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
What does the rifle's lack of a Mcmillan have to do with anything?

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
That is a fair price, or a good price if the scope is one of the elite series.

Around here a stainless ruger below $500 would be a very good deal and as 50 rounds of ammo is worth that,your in a good territory.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it were me, I would try to get the rifle without that bushy scope. Offer them $450 without the scope and see what they say. If you get it for $500 you're alright. Then put a good Leupold on it. The bushys don't have enough eye relief for me, especially on a 338 mag.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I just ordered a laminate/SS leftie Hawkeye in .30-06 today for $585. It looked like a good price, particularly for a leftie ss model. Gonna give it a try and see how I like a Hawkeye.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ali
Hoping for some guidance here. Found a Ruger M77 II in 338 Win Mag at the local dealer. Very low round count, maybe less than 10. Has a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope and comes with 50 rds of ammo.
Asking price $595 + tax.

One is this a fair price (I am located in Iowa)?

Two any pros or cons on this model vs Savage, Winchester, etc?

Just not familiar with this model and could use some input.

Thanks.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes that is a good deal (rifle, scope and ammo) for a Ruger M77 MKII 338 Win mag......It don't get much better than that around these parts for the ultimate elk rifle/cartridge.....

2. Comparing this model to a savage is a no brainer: Theres no comparison. However, the similarities to the winchester model 70 are uncanny. I know some of you stuck up sobs will disagree, but I've used them, have them and don't see much honest to goodness difference to amount to a hill of beans....

I do have a question though. What do you mean by "scout stock"? We need some more details.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMO, the Mark IIs are the pinnacle of the Ruger bolt guns. They are CRF, feed smoothly, and are strong as an ox. Yes they sometimes need a bit of tweeking to wring out the best accuracy, but what mass-produced rifle doesn't? They also benefit GREATLY from a Timney trigger and sear, although the factory trigger can be improved a lot with a bit of stoning and a spring change. The safety is a trigger safety, but it is a good one and has three positions for unloading in the SAFE position. My Mark II in 7x57 functions flawlessly and is probably the last rifle I would part with, though it would be tough to part with the FN Mauser in the same caliber. Hope I never have to choose.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
IMO, the Mark IIs are the pinnacle of the Ruger bolt guns. They are CRF, feed smoothly, and are strong as an ox. Yes they sometimes need a bit of tweeking to wring out the best accuracy, but what mass-produced rifle doesn't? They also benefit GREATLY from a Timney trigger and sear, although the factory trigger can be improved a lot with a bit of stoning and a spring change. The safety is a trigger safety, but it is a good one and has three positions for unloading in the SAFE position. My Mark II in 7x57 functions flawlessly and is probably the last rifle I would part with, though it would be tough to part with the FN Mauser in the same caliber. Hope I never have to choose.

Nice post. I hear you about not getting rid of your rugers.....I almost fd up and got rid of one a couple of weeks ago......That would have been a damn shame. The only reason was, I really don't care for 308 win so I thought I'd dump it but I had to rethink things a bit....As for my M77 MKII 338 win mag...I'll never get rid of my "elk rifle".

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have the same gun. I bought mine used too and paid $450 and it came with a Pentax (Burris) scope. I think you should have some wiggle room on price.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I have the same gun. I bought mine used too and paid $450 and it came with a Pentax (Burris) scope. I think you should have some wiggle room on price.

You talkng to the OP or me??

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,953
Posts18,480,406
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.