Print Thread
Hop To
#6656890 07/05/12
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Ok guys and girls. I've had to do two drowning recoveries in the past week. So please if you plan on doing any boating the rest of the summer, WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET! Nobody plans on drowning. A fisherman jumped in to try to save two boys swimming in a river and drowned, and another was a young man who fell out of a boat while moving across open water. Both these men had loved ones who will miss them and depended on them. So don't be a victim, put your kids and yourself in a life jacket if your on a boat or swimming in deep water. Look into an inflatable life jacket they are more costly but they will keep you cooler and are great for cruising the lake in that new boat.

Thanks for listening, and be safe this holiday.

The .270 is the greatest hunting catridge ever designed. To dispute this fact is to only justify our loonieism in owning and hunting with inferior cartridges.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Totally agree. I was on an aborted offshore trip the other week. I can't swim so I bring my own vest and wear it all the time. Captain hadn't seen that in many years.

Even if you can swim what happens if you hit your head while falling out.... or have an MI etc.... somethign you could survive except in the process you drowned.

Anyone that steps foot on my airboat wears one period. I"ve been stopped by more than a few wardens, who, to the last one, once they see we are all wearing vests, wave us on with a thanks and be careful, not checking anything else.

Also a pet peeve... vests and throwables if you just can't wear one, don't do a damn bit of good in a duffle bag under the deck. When you need em, you need em now...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Wife and I both use the inflatables, but I re-arm them every other year. Not worth the risk in my book.

Originally Posted by Butler247
Ok guys and girls. I've had to do two drowning recoveries in the past week. So please if you plan on doing any boating the rest of the summer, WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET! Nobody plans on drowning. A fisherman jumped in to try to save two boys swimming in a river and drowned, and another was a young man who fell out of a boat while moving across open water. Both these men had loved ones who will miss them and depended on them. So don't be a victim, put your kids and yourself in a life jacket if your on a boat or swimming in deep water. Look into an inflatable life jacket they are more costly but they will keep you cooler and are great for cruising the lake in that new boat.

Thanks for listening, and be safe this holiday.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Great reminder. Thanks

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard, fast, rule on my boat. When the big motor is running, the life jackets are on, and the kill switch connected. Period.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know the statistics, but drownings, and near drownings are pretty common.

I nearly drowned in the Atlantic about 40 years ago and was saved by my aunt. My brother went under in our swimming pool nearly 30 years ago and was saved by the same aunt. Last summer my 5 year old daughter went under in my sister's pool and was nabbed by my oldest nephew who jumped in, cellphone and all, to grab her.

Most of my examples are swimming pool situations, but my point here is to back ups butler's advice. It happens a lot. Put 'em on!

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Also a pet peeve... vests and throwables if you just can't wear one, don't do a damn bit of good in a duffle bag under the deck. When you need em, you need em now...

Jeff [/quote]

Very true if you go down they do no good locked in a compartment. This goes for fire extinguishers to.

The .270 is the greatest hunting catridge ever designed. To dispute this fact is to only justify our loonieism in owning and hunting with inferior cartridges.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Staying sober is never a bad idea either.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Right now if you fell out of a boat round here you're more likely to end up poached than drowning but agree with the OP.

Went kayaking last weekend. River never got deeper than 30 inches and spend most of the time under 20. EVERYONE wore PFD's the whole trip.

Wasn't about the danger but the habit.

Me

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 1moredeer, 204guy, 52 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,894
Posts18,498,029
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.