Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Ok like a lot out there i'm looking at purchasing a new pack for 3-6 day pack in hunts. I have narrowed it down to these two packs. I see all kinds of people that love their MR 6500 but can't seem to find many posts about the Icons. Any one out their using an Kuiu Icon is so what you think of the packs?

My Family, My Friends, My Great Outdoors, My therapy for life.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don't think you can go wrong with the MR. That said the KUIU is a near 50% weight savings and just went through a redesign (both pack and frame).

I think if you are conscience about weight you have to give the KUIU a serious look. But, it is a pretty radical design and could still have some bugs. I would expect though that v2.0 is a big improvement over v1.0.

In the end it will come down to personal preference. The MR is as solid as it can be, and you'll for sure have great resale value. The KUIU may perform equally as well with a 4lb weight savings, but they don't have the MR name and history.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
jryoung,

I here what your saying and that is my concern in going with the Icon. The Icon design looks great but quality and durability our where the question is. Thanks for you input

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think the one thing that KUIU does have going for them is Jason wants to make the best gear possible. A lot of people were pissed off with the change in design, but to me you don't just "play around" with carbon fiber. The only reason you would make that investment is to improve on it.

Granted a like of packs is a bit different than general clothing, but Jason is very dedicated to quality and durability. Maybe it's best to wait for v3.0, I don't know.

Have you check out the KUIU blog and the videos of the new packs?

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used both but the 1st version of the KUIU pack. They had some durability issues and the straps slipped some and the waist belts would only go down to 34". They have fixed this and some other issues with version 2. I like the 6500 but the Nice frame doesn't always work for longer torsos. The pack is as bombproof as they make. It's also heavy.

Might want to look at Kifaru Timberline series as well. Sorta in between the two and I like the frame and weight carrying of the Kifaru better.

You can't go wrong but if possible try them out with weight on them and decide.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also agree with what he was saying about Jason and KUIU. He really listens and makes changes based on customer concerns. I am probably going to be buying the new version of the KUIU when it comes out. He has a day pack that weighs about 1lb that can be used with the frame or just the straps. Pretty handy to pack in and use from there.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks Guys,

Eddy,
thanks for info on kuiu pack. I have been looking at timberline series as well. I don't think I could go wrong with MR or Kifaru when in comes to quality and durability, but I also like a lot of the features of the Icons especially the 2012s. I wish there was a superstore you could go try them all on but that is just a fantasy...I know dream on.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm sitting back to watch and see on the ICON. Can't fathom why they have pretty much already sold out on a pack that had a tough 1st generation and no testing as of yet. Looks good on paper though...

When I replace my vintage Dana I'm pretty darn sure it will be with a Kifaru DT1. These things are test proven and durable. Timberline is a great pack if you not hauling out big loads and the new Duplex Timberline can haul more than most guys can handle... And there are few sizes to choose from.. Just my thoughts....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ran into a guy at the Montana Bowhunters Assn State Shoot that claimed to be a prototype tester of Jason's gear. He had his kid strapped onto a "NEW and IMPROVED" carbon fiber frame. He said the big upgrades were improved hardware, and the frames themselves were contracted to a new supplier. So that now the frames should break less, and hardware won't slip.

I said... "So, it's an improved piece of schit???"

The Sawtooth I was living in, and the MR sticker on my truck should have provided clues.

Don't buy an ICON. I like Jason (hell, I'm a traditional bowhunter too,) and I like his company, I even plan on buying some of his clothing. BUT, he needs to give up his love of carbon fiber and [bleep] that backpack theory of his. Mystery Ranch and Kifaru are lightyears better, and take a gimmick free aproach to design that won't leave you broke down in the sticks.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have been doing my research as well on packs and have not ran across the KUIU, so thank you for your thread. Now I have another company to look at. So, here is what I have found over the last year. MR is just too heavy for what you get. Kifaru is winning in all areas in my book. But then again when its all said and done you are going to be spending $500 to $600. At that price you might as well have a custom built Mchale that fits you.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6577760/1
Its the one pack that will do everything you want it to do. Its just hard to think about spending the money.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hbc01
But then again when its all said and done you are going to be spending $500 to $600. At that price you might as well have a custom built Mchale that fits you.

Bingo, we have a winner.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SCHIT.....

There just went my T2.

I thought McHale was closer to a G? [WTF?] Why didn't I read that thread earlier?

I'm Irish...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on what model you want, what fabrics you choose, custom options, accessories, etc.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hekin and Danadair,

I here ya and that is kinda what my thoughts were, great looking pack but too new to have all the bugs worked out.

hbc01,

I know alot of guys say Mchale packs are the bomb, but man they sure look cheaply made to me and that is just my opinion. Without looking at one of the packs in person and trying it on I don't think I can drop that kind of cash, but thanks for the help.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My observation of the kuiu pack from March 2011:

Originally Posted by Brad
I guess I'm not feeling the love. Nice but unremarkable stuff IMO.

The pack is a $548 rehash of the Atrcteryx Altra which, for my body, is a painful proposition. All that and a non-adjustable frame. Big step backwards, not forwards.

The guy strikes me as a heavily funded amateur using designs that were tried and found wanting decades ago. Their clothing looks decent enough however.

Another thread:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6189492/1

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by knthartter

hbc01,

I know alot of guys say Mchale packs are the bomb, but man they sure look cheaply made to me and that is just my opinion. Without looking at one of the packs in person and trying it on I don't think I can drop that kind of cash, but thanks for the help.

You can sure tell a lot about a pack by only looking at pictures. McHale makes Kifaru packs look cheaply made. You can also get a demo from McHale by sending in a deposit so you can try it out before you make your decision.

As for Kuiu, I think the backpack is crap. I have seen two in person. Atleast the first gen was and I think he needs to give up on that CF frame sheet design. Are the new gen 2's going to have waist belt and shoulder harness sizes? That was really stupid to do a "one size fits most" with the first gen, I just dont understand that...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice thing about McHale, like every feature or not, he doesn't stray from sound design... tried and true design.

And it's beyond intelligent dispute they're made like a B17!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yup, my experience with Dan and his packs started in 1993 and I have consistently found him to produce outstanding packs and be an honest and knowledgeable guy. While, I have never owned one, the personal experience with one in Seattle when I was buying a Dana-Bozo Terraplane OK and the reports from guys I totally trust makes me feel that they are one fine option for the serious, committed backpacker and/or backpack hunter.

They are NOT "cheap" and there are quite a number of excellent alternatives, I, for example, have purchased "as new" DD packs and found them perfect for my needs, so, with the advice available here, a person can find whatever is best for him, budget and intended uses considered.

I have NO "real" need for a McHale now and I still want one and may well get one when I can fit it into my budget. I have some longer,slow treks in BC planned and I would like a pack specifically for those as I do not care to use the same pack(s) for hunting as for trekking.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What bugs me about McHale...

"Bend the bayonets to where they fit you" Isn't that where the load lifters tie in?

I might be a little biased. But I like Patrick's idea of high dollar plywood for stays.

I'm Irish...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DanAdair
What bugs me about McHale...

"Bend the bayonets to where they fit you" Isn't that where the load lifters tie in?

I might be a little biased. But I like Patrick's idea of high dollar plywood for stays.

Any backpack that has aluminium stays is like that, weather you can bend them by hand or using a vise. McHale packs also do not use load lifters like some other packs do, there is barely any pressure on them at all.

The plywood stays is another thing I dont get, no way to shape them to your back. They fit me ok but not perfect, a large lumbar pad is just one band aid for this. I am betting they dont fit you perfect either but I may be wrong. Everybody is different and special atleast thats what my 3rd grade teacher told me. The only person they should fit perfectly is Patrick Smith, not the customer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (222Sako, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 22250rem, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 3,272 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,707
Posts18,534,814
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.