-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Many (most) backs need custom bent stays... preformed, fit's-all stays are great if you're building packs (less hassle)... not so great if you fall outside their pre-bent range.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Big W, looks like you and I are thinking alike and writing at the exact same time... your post wasn't even showing when I wrote the above.

Would also add, laminated stays aren't something new. Back in the 80's Wayne Gregory offered them as an upgrade. But he did it right. You got aluminum stays with your pack, got them shaped to your back. Lived with them to make sure they were right, then you'd send them to Gregory and they'd shape the carbon/laminated stays in an exact duplication of the aluminum ones.

The way Kifaru is doing their stays is a joke.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ummm.

Okay, I know I'm a hillbilly. But if your stay bends easily, what keeps the load stable North and South?

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Big W.

I will say that Patricks stays suck the least of all that I've met so far.

I'm Irish...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Ummm.

Okay, I know I'm a hillbilly. But if your stay bends easily, what keeps the load stable North and South?

Quality stays are not so easily bent, and typically they're part of a "stay system" that incorporates a plastic backboard arrangement of some sort. Back in the day no one had such a system, but my packs of that era never didn't handle any heavy load I put in them.

The truth of the matter is, the right aircraft grade aluminum will handle any load you can think of... and a little "give" is a comfortable thing with a heavy load.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on what weight your pack is "rated" for. Like my ULA pack I could use my hands, my old Kifaru Longhunter a vise. Its a lot different once the stays are in the pack though. I dont have an engineering degree so I cant explain it. Different type of applied forse than when trying to bend them compared to when carrying a load.

Part of this thread at HPG talks about what I am trying to explain. Like Brad said, a little give might be good. http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tabid/679/forumid/22/threadid/1838/scope/posts/Default.aspx

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's true that packs have varying stays... the sad reality of packs these days is most are so dumbed-down that the stays aren't even removable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My stubborn Irish side says you two are idiots...

But you might be onto something and I'll try it before I officially call you two idiots. smile

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
, but my packs of that era never didn't handle any heavy load I put in them.

Whoa, [bleep] Brad. Did Larry go full blown Jedi on your ass?

I'm Irish...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
, but my packs of that era never didn't handle any heavy load I put in them.

Whoa, [bleep] Brad. Did Larry go full blown Jedi on your ass?

Huh?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm suprised you didn't say "them don't not never impress..."

Odd grammar for a guy from the part of Montana that sips their latte's with their pinkies out.

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You did watch Star Wars, didn't you?

[Linked Image]
My favorite version...

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The old hippy version...

[Linked Image]

I'm Irish...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Odd grammar for a guy from the part of Montana that sips their latte's with their pinkies out.

Dan, you're an azzhole pure and simple.

Trying to help you is an utter waste of time.

Some people can be helped... you're the other.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And the one that made me laugh my ass off...

[Linked Image]

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Dan, you're an azzhole pure and simple.

Trying to help you is an utter waste of time.

Some people can be helped... you're the other.

This is why we're not friends.

Seriously, you're going to get butthurt over that?

I'm Irish...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm an idiot when it comes to pack specifics, but I think the first gen Kifaru Longhunters had aluminum stays with a plastic backsheet. While helping a friend with a sheep tag in the Frank Church my fully loaded pack went for about a 20yd roll then off a 8' ledge then another 30yd roll. Luckily I was not attached. Once I made my way to the pack and gathered up my gear (it broke 1 strap and tore a few holes at strap attachment points) I tried to put the pack on and couldn't get the waist belt fastened! The stays had about a 90� bend in them about 15" up from the bottom of the pack! Must've landed butt first after the cliff dive. I've been able to bend them back to close to what they were, but still haven't gotten it right. Bending them back was not easy. I had to really lean on them to get them to budge and I'm fat! Someday I'll send it to CO to have them do so or possibly put in new stays.

Long way of saying, I can see the benefit of having stays than bend instead of break.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the info on the KUIU packs it sums up kind what I was thinking...Its funny how opinionated some people are about packs...I don't think there is one pack(company)that will work for everyone so its good to hear every ones experiences with different packs.

My Family, My Friends, My Great Outdoors, My therapy for life.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

330 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 204guy, 300_savage, 222ND, 47 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,534
Posts18,531,006
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.