Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BC30cal Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow Canadian Campfire Members;
This is just a quick heads up and or word of warning to those of us who might be traveling to US destinations this summer and be tempted to purchase something that makes "the list".

Although I had heard that Homeland Security does random checks of Canadians returning home, we'd never been searched ourselves until last night when we were returning from a weekend shopping trip in Spokane.

The two Homeland Security officers who stopped us 50yds before hitting Canada Customs were professional but not overly friendly - well considering the considerable boost we'd given the Washington economy with the girls' shopping trip.... blush

Anyway, I was glad that our youngest and I had put the box of .308 Zombie Max ammo back on the shelf in Cabela's as my poker face isn't much use in situations like that.

So a word to the wise folks, at least here at BC crossings one might be checked before leaving the US, so due diligence should be the order of the day with your stateside purchases.

Oh, the folks in Spokane were - as usual - great to deal with and the girls managed to find enough "different shops" that I'll be needing to work another month or two yet.

Speaking of which, I'm off to work.

All the best to all my Canadian 'Fire members here.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the information Dwayne, very helpful.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First person I've heard of that has actually been checked.

Is there a list of what we can't bring back?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Just make sure you don't bring back any democraps or the prez-dent! laugh

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
This is the U.S. agents? We were stopped short of the bridge in March by the U.S. before leaving the country. I recall that being normal in the fiftys, but not for years till then. As Will Rogers said, "We can be glad we are not getting all the govenment we are paying for."

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks Dwayne, we are planning to head south this fall so good to know. On my shopping list will be a pair of boots, maybe a new sleeping bag, and a bunch of fishing supplies. Certainly not worth the hassle for stuff like reloading supplies.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AB2506
First person I've heard of that has actually been checked.

Is there a list of what we can't bring back?

That list would be handy.

This inablility to purchase directly from the USA has proven to be a much bigger pain in the butt to me than the bloody gun registry itself.

Does anyone know if doing away with this forbidden list is on any politicians radar?

Does it make any sense for US Homeland Security to stop us from returning to Canada with our box of bullets?

BC30cal Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
n007;
I trust this finds you well this fine and stormy night Nic. We had exactly two nice days and then the rains returned. frown

To be really honest I am basing my "list" on my understanding of what we can't buy through the mail or import as Canadians. I also follow it a bit on gunnutz where it is a regular topic.

As I understand it, and please do take it only that way, is that we can't be in possession of firearms, ammunition, reloading components or equipment and some or maybe even most scopes. At first I thought it was only turret or multi stadia reticle equipped scopes, but I've now come to believe that we can't be in possession of or import any scope.

To wabigoon, the people who stopped us and searched the trunk had badges from the Department of Homeland Security and we were all on US soil at the time.

As AB2506 noted, I'd only heard of this before, but now have a bit more personal experience with it - so to speak... wink

Lastly Nic, I'd be shocked out of my socks if any Canadian federal politician had removing any of this on their personal agenda. I only wish - fervently so at that - I was wrong here.

Anyway hopefully that answered a few questions and at least gives a bit of a head's up to those of us who are traveling stateside.

All the best to you Nic.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
n007,
Back when Lloyd Axworthy was Minister of External Affairs he talked the Clinton administration into banning private sales of ammo for export on the theory that it would stop rebel groups from getting it.The law was passed but never enforced.

They weren't even thinking about us.

In the fallout of 9/11 the bush administration started enforcing it so they could look like they were doing something.
Since the people it effects(us) are not voting Americans I doubt it will ever be changed.

There are a couple of ways you can buy ammo in the states but even then it is illegal to export it .

Glenn

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Thanks Dwayne, thats good information to take seriously.
Living in Abbotsford, we cross once in a while but I will not buy anything firearm or reloading related.
We have seen several vehicles stopped numerous times before making it to the Canadian booth and have heard a few ' horror' stories.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You can export reloading equipment, no problem. Just no reloading components, ammo, firearms, or scopes.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I thought the rule was that less than $100 of components was fine?

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nope. No reloading components at all. It's up to $100 worth of firearms parts- stock, trigger, etc, and I believe that is being raised to $500.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K, thanks. If it goes to $500, being able to bring back a barrel would be very nice!

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Certain suppliers will get hit pretty hard if that is the case. They will have to become a stocking supplier to keep that equitable.

I would like to order a Pac-nor again without the vaseline.

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
No kidding. Not too long ago I would call Penny and 6-10 weeks and $275 later would have a barrel in my mailbox.

Today these guys think it's worth $150-$200 to import a barrel. And yes I know what the permit costs! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So is our only real solution to buying a barrel blank to get it from a dealer here?

Are there places that sell good quality barrel blanks for a decent price in Canada?

Randy

I am thinking of rebarreling a 308 to 243 or 6mm BR. I would go smalleer but the bolt face is .473" compatible.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Different places to buy barrels in Canada. If you are on the CGN site, there's Mysticplayer, North Shore barrels, a bunch of others.

There are also great Canadian barrels. If you want stainless, then Ted Gaillard in Sask makes barrels that rank with anybodies. Ron Smith in AB makes great cut rifled barrels but they are getting hard to get.

Easy to get good barrels in Canada, it just hurts to pay $400+ when you can buy the same barrel across the line for not much over half that!

Last edited by RickF; 07/10/12.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
There's no need to bother with CGN. McGowan or Shilen barrel blanks are $250 to $350, depending on whether you want CM or SS. You can also order a threaded, short chambered barrel for certain actions.

Savage prefits are $350 to $400.

www.mysticprecision.com
www.northshorebarrels.ca

There are other importers as well. I've dealt with Jerry at www.mysticprecision.com when I got a 6x45mm barrel.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
[quote=Steve Redgwell]There's no need to bother with CGN

So whats wrong with CGN ?? Its a good site..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,489
Posts18,490,354
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.