Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Beautiful country. I've always loved the place, but I suspect making a living there is a challenge. An acquaintance from Soda Springs tells me they always called it "Starve Alley---Poverty with a View".

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Know a girl that used to live in Alpine Junction, lived off her dad though so I don't know how easy it is to make a buck around there. It certianly is beautiful country though.

`Bring Enough Gun`
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Have some relatives who own/operate a ranch up there. Hard work and they made some money elsewhere, but they make a go of it.

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Some of the most beautiful country you will ever see, I live an hour from there (Soda Springs) so I see it quite often. Homes are very expensive there, lots of overflow from the Jackson Hole crowd.
A large portion of Wyoming relies on the tourist dollar, that & gas & oil. There's jobs there if a person can pass a drug test, many can't but thats the same everywhere. A weekend drive through Star Valley, over to Bear Lake or head the other way to Jackson Hole, be sure to stop in at Bubba'a for some good ribs! Watch the shoot out in the center of town, or drive north towards Yellowstone & get lots of photo's of the Teton's.

Dick

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Rob,

I have hunted there many times. It's beyond beautiful. However, locals have told me that it gets beyond cold in winter with snow accumulating about ten feet. It stays all winter.

Fall hunting in Star Valley is one thing. Winter living there is another. Cabin fever can become fatal.

I hope this helps.

Take care,

R

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for the info guys. Thanks Raisuli. Sounds like you might be from near there.

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Thanks for the info guys. Thanks Raisuli. Sounds like you might be from near there.

Hi Rob,

No I am from Reagan Country, sunny Orange County, CA. But I have hunted there. It's beyond beautiful. But before you consider a move to Star Valley, visit it in February. Were you to do so you might wind up being my OC neighbor.

Take care,

R

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
R, what are you talking about, Star Valley hasn't had 10 feet of snow since april, these California guys keep blowing things out of porportion.

Dick

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Star Valley averages 158 of snowfall a year, that isn't going to stack up to 10' level (snow settles quite a bit). An average low of about 6 degrees ain't that bad either. Seems quite nice actually. Steamboat Springs, CO is snowier and colder but that was a great place to grow up. Just saying that winter and snowfall are a great thing, especially if you ski or sled.

Last edited by BeanMan; 07/09/12.
R
R
I live in Preston, a 100 miles SW of there. It's not the snow, but the cold that makes winter a challenge. I've hunted there in mid Nov at -10 in the morning. They probably have 60 days without a freeze in the summer. It is a beautiful place though, with lots of game and decent fishing, not to mention proximity to Yellowstone country. The economy is still slow, but there are deals on housing, at least compared to 4 years ago.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Raisuli:

I grew up in Cache Valley, Utah---just over the mountain from Star Valley. I remember a couple winters where it got -20 below. And we had to milk cows in that cold. I got banished to Kommie Kalifornia in '87 and I've not been able to get out. mad Cache Valley is ruined. Too many people. Tryin' to find a place that reminds me of where I grew up. Gonna go out to Soda Springs, Idaho in August and check it out a little closer.

Jordan

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Ronben:

Hauled many a truckload of wheat to Franklin Grain Growers in Preston in my youth. Heard it burned down not long ago. Always liked Preston---alot. But it seems to be struggling to. 25 years ago main street was much more vibrant. Are you a native? What you do there? Farming?

Jordan

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My father was born and raised in Smoot, and I am still probably related to half the valley. My dad always described the weather in Star Valley as 8 months of winter and 4 months of rough sledding.

Of the relatives I stay in contact with, one is a trucker, one works for the county, and another owns and operates a cleaning and restoration company.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a bro-in-law from Star Valley, he never seemed to complain about it being too cold or too much snow. His Dad owns or runs a feed store there. The BIL does talk highly of the hunting there.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Gee, I didn`t know money was tight in the valley. Richard Petty has a home there. wink
Talk about snow, my daughter lived in Wilson at the bottom of Teton pass, recently moved to Hobach Junction. I think she gets a few feet less there. Me, I`ll stay in the Wind River, the bananna belt, of the state.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Raisuli:

I grew up in Cache Valley, Utah---just over the mountain from Star Valley. I remember a couple winters where it got -20 below. And we had to milk cows in that cold. I got banished to Kommie Kalifornia in '87 and I've not been able to get out. mad Cache Valley is ruined. Too many people. Tryin' to find a place that reminds me of where I grew up. Gonna go out to Soda Springs, Idaho in August and check it out a little closer.

Jordan

I hear tell the commie police are huntin' me down to serve eviction papers. They don't much like Reagan Republicans anymore, even in Reagan Country, formerly known as OC.

I have going to try to hunt Southern Utah, try because I am having my left shoulder rebuilt on Nov 7. My surgeon is going to take a muscle from my chest and do something with it in my rotator cuff. Then about 2 months later he's doing my right rotator cuff. At least I was drawn for one of my favorite deer zones.

Southern Utah might just be the safest and most beautiful states I have hunted. Highway 12 was at one time ranked in the nation's top 10 of most beautiful highways. And that area has HUGE bucks. I was told that the mineral content of the soil has a lot to do with huge antlers. Lot's of red and bronze hues in the area.

I am going strictly trophy this year. The benefit of hunting Southern Utah is that I always do well whether I harvest a buck because when I'm there I'm in one of the most gorgeous areas on Earth.

Take care,

R

Last edited by Raisuli; 07/10/12.
R
R
Jordan, The grain growers burned down, but they are going to rebuild it. It was quite the fire, could be seen for miles around. Preston is holding it's own. I don't see much change over the years. I moved to CAche Valley in 74 and Preston in 88. I'm almost a local! Like always here, the biggest challenge is low wages. Decent jobs are few and far between unless you commute to Logan or Soda. I make custom furniture, mostly for the Jackson market, which is why I go thru Star Valley a lot. It seems like they have a month more winter on both ends.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bunnyrunner
Gee, I didn`t know money was tight in the valley. Richard Petty has a home there. wink
Talk about snow, my daughter lived in Wilson at the bottom of Teton pass, recently moved to Hobach Junction. I think she gets a few feet less there. Me, I`ll stay in the Wind River, the bananna belt, of the state.
wind river???......many a beaver' as stars in the sky...........

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
My wife & I were driving through Preston the day the Grain Growers complex went up in flames, they had traffic blocked off for several blocks & the flames were visable for 3-4 miles. Two of my kids live there, it was quite a spectacle. That old building was one of the local landmarks for many years.
If you get over to Jackson Hole be sure to take in one of the live theaters, also there is a Ripley's Believe It Or Not thats a lot of fun for the kids, and me!
In Star Valley you can have a fine meal at the old Cheese Factory, although its changed hands several times in the last few years. Also Freedom Arms is just up the road at Freedom, Wyoming. A drive up through Star Valley ranch is a worth while side trip just to see the fabulous homes.

Dick

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Used to date a gal from Thayne in Star Valley. It is beautiful with a mostly agriculture economy, with some tourism thrown in. Hard place to make money if you weren't born there. It's about 95% Mormon (or was back in the late 1980s) and all the little towns are named after the families that settled thee. Nice people, but if you aren't Mormon you will be an outsider in the same way as if you went to live in a town that is 95% Catholic. Houses are expensive as they have been pushed up by people moving there who can't afford to live in Jackson.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,495
Posts18,509,103
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.