Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Reminds me of the Schrade PH2 model. Nice knife!

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So the general consensus is that a fixed blade is the way to go?

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Doesn't take more then a good pocket knife to just open an animal up. If you are doing more like quarter game then a fixed blade for sure is the way to go.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scopolamine
So the general consensus is that a fixed blade is the way to go?

I would say so..Lots of folks use folders, but I dislike cleaning them afterwards and there is always a chance a bit of "gunk" could get in the lock and prevent the blade locking properly.

Personally, I would go for a fixed blade, with a blade between 3.5" and 4.5" long, although a bit shorter or longer will also work..

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I switched to a fixed blade after we had 3 cows down on a wind blown rock scab a sunset. I cleaned 2 with my Kershaw black horse and my dad used it to clean the 3rd. He then skinned out 3 while my uncle and I held the legs, pulled, etc.(He's super fast and good at it so we just step back) The internals and the every nook and cranny was packed with elk gunk. I attempted to clean it 3 times back at camp. Finally put it away and did a big soak n' scrub when I got home. Hydrogen peroxide was necessary to get the tiny bits that worked their way in. Fixed blade reduces the nook and cranny factor.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMHO a pocket or folding knife is for utility use and should be capable of dressing an animal IF the need arrises but when it is likely that a dressing job might eventuate then a fixed blade is the way to go.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I always have a folder with me but a fixed is preferred for dressing, skinning and butchering. Like others have mentioned, gutting doesn't take much of a blade. This Chris Reeve has done the deed many times for me and is a daily carry knife.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been using an Old Timer folder for something like 30 years. When my Dad died in '06, I got his identical one so I have a matched pair, although mine saw a lot more use. It's been excellent except that I have big hands and the grip is too narrow for comfort. It just doesn't quite fit my hand.
Then 2 years ago my brother died and I got his plain Jane Buck 110. It's heavier but it fits my hand nicely. I've only used it on 1 deer and a couple goats that I've butchered, but it's my go to knife now.

[Linked Image]

Every hunting knife is a compromise. A real skinner has a radical curve to the blade. If you've ever used one, you'll know the advantage. They'll take off a hide in nothing flat. Nobody wants to haul around a bunch of knives in the field, but if you haul your game back to camp to skin it, try one of these sometime. You'll like it. 10,000 commercial butchers can't all be wrong.
I bought a Case skinner while taking a meats class in college 40 years ago. It was a cheapy but it's still the best knife I've ever owned for skinning.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yes the Vic works well and is cheap. But sometimes I like class with form and function so I go with this.

[Linked Image]

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mojo, that is a hella good photo.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It isn't the Vic that makes the difference. It's the shape of the blade. I just grabbed that photo off the web as an example of what a skinner looks like. However, it's pretty worthless for field dressing other than the skinning so about no one carries one in the field.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Lite-Hunter Dropped combo in S30V:

[Linked Image]

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I carry a moore maker large trapper. It's got a liner lock main blade that won't fold up from gunk and a spey blade that's great for skinning. All in carbon steel. 1095 is what they are using now. I once read about a knife test that Phil Shoemaker designed to test utility of a hunting knife and it passed the various criteria.

Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello Chris:

This knife was made by Francisco Pachi & his wife. It's been quite some time since I purchased it, so I don't remember all the details, but can tell you some things I remember.

(1) The blade was done before all the new powdered metals came out, and this one is made of ATS34. I don't remember if Francisco did the heat treating himself, or sent it out to be done, but whoever did it, did it right. The blade has stayed sharp enough to process two Buffalo (completely) with just using Spyderco crock stones for touch up's. That being said, I have sharpened it numerous times over the years using the EdgePro kit. A little painters tape on the blade before sharpening keeps this one looking new, even after 25+ years of hard use.

(2) The blade finish is brushed stainless, and it too has been maintained with 600 grit. Over the years it has acquired numerous scratches, but the 600 grit emery paper rubs them right out.

(3) The scales on this knife are made of Desert Ironwood

(3) The pins & bolster were engraved & etched with gold by Francisco�s wife, (for the life of me, I can�t remember her name), she absolutely does the best work I�ve ever seen.

(5) The fancy file work was done by Francisco.

(6) The blade tip is what I call a Semi-Drop point, though I've forgotten what he called it.

I was going to order another knife by this couple, but found out they no longer make any fixed blades, or didn�t when I last contacted them. As far as I know, they are only doing folders these days.

Sorry for the delay in replying, as I didn�t even know you had questions on this one.

Respects,

Richard

Originally Posted by MojoHand
Originally Posted by Buckskin
This one has worked for me for a lot of years:
[Linked Image]

Respects,

Richard

Richard, more details on that knife, please! It looks beautiful and useful. I can't quite make out the stamp on the guard and am not enough of a knive guru to recognize it. Steel, scale material, etc? Thanks!

Chris

Cat, the other white meat!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have 4 of the knives made by McCroskey Custom Knives
Dave McCroskey 5220 S. Willis
Stillwater, OK 74074
1-877-256-4837

mccroskeyknives.com

I skinned 6 deer with one small "trapper" knife and it would still shave you.

A trapper skinned 320 beaver before his knife got dull.

My brother skinned and boned out 4 bull elk and his knife was not dull.

there are knives, then there are knives........Price is right on these knives also.

Dave is a very special person to deal with...you will never forget him!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is mine for the past 10 years....perfect pack knife

[Linked Image]

This is my skinner and I have two one is always sharp

[Linked Image]

Ultra light sharpener I found a couple years back that flat works for $5

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think everybody appreciates the looks and function of a fixed blade knife while doing the actual cutting. Thing is we carry our knives a lot more than we cut with them, and a folder just disappears in pocket or pack until needed. I have several folders I really like including SOG, Gerber, Case, Timberline, and others. They are all lightweight and all with locking blades. I just hate grabbing a non-locking folder with my precious fingers and shoving it inside an animal. It's just plain dangerous!

One little knife I really like is the Gerber LST. I think it weighs about an ounce, is absolutely undetectable in the pocket, and it stays sharp enough, long enough to field dress at least two deer, and I have done three. Simply a great little knife.

Another I like is a Timberline with the Neely lock, mostly because it is unusual. When the blade opens fully it snaps about a quarter-inch into a recess molded into the handle. To fold it you pull outward on the blade and fold it. It's quite unusual and works well when not gunked up. But the easy fix for that is to clean it with warm soapy water and a toothbrush when you take your deer home or back to camp. Ain't nothin' to it.

I have fixed blades I like too but I've rambled on enough for now.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by horse1
Lite-Hunter Dropped combo in S30V:

[Linked Image]

That is THE combo to have in my eyes.

For a factory knife, I can really like the Gerber Freeman Hunter.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Ultimate big game hunting knife?

That is easy. A George Herron Number Two.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 2ndwind, 22 invisible), 2,008 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,536
Posts18,531,053
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.