-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I saw this shears & knife kit in the new catalog. Looks like a nice gift. Good Luck.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/74647?feat=sr&term=wingshooters

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That would make a great Classy gift to a serious bird hunter. cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Some of the llbean hunter clothing and gear is very nice and is of high quality I have found.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm diggin' that kit, it's on my list smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Just happen to have the catalog sitting next to me and I checked it out. Definitely on the Xmas list

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am partial to 10 dollar serrated trauma shears.
For that money you could have 7 or 8 pairs scattered between vehicles, vest and home.
Not nearly as traumatic when you leave them on the tailgate either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is what I use, penny shears, but they have zero class for upland hunting. Been looking for a classy kit to use for many years to come for character, and then pass them down to my daughter for keepsake. Penny shears are a dime a dozen, no matter how may pheasant hunts they see, they'll never develop character and will never become a keepsake. Not saying this LL Bean kit is to die for, but it sure looks heaps classier than a bucket full of penny cutters.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Well I haven't seen this one up close, but to me the knife looks just like a few whittlers I have that I paid a few dollars for, not high quality. I like LLB and most of their stuff is good quality, sometimes overpriced. Since I'm heading up to maine next month I'll be stopping in the store and can check them out in person.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks okay to me, high carbon steel that can be touched up afield and has textured Micarta grip panels which would be durable and have a good grip. I'm going to order a set to the house. If they don't look good, I'll send them back. If they look good, $90 bucks will not be bad when you look at using them on numerous upland hunts per year for the next couple decades or so. Had the plastic/delrin thumb loop snap off on a set of EMT sheers on a hunt this past season. Hurt my hand and thought to myself that I wanted a nice pair of game sheers like my Dad used years back. His were stolen and never replaced. Penny shears are like a bic lighter, very handy but a use and trash item.

Best smile

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's another set of USA made upland game shears that look okay. Might look into this more and see what's out there in high quality shears and/or shear knife sets.

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/ON...s-3-inch-Carbon-Steel-Blades-with-Sheath

- Clint Eastwood
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I reckon one or two of you have better taste than I do, but I believe I'll pass. I've got better stuff somewhere on the floor of the pickup already.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (358wsm, 300_savage, 358WCF, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 11 invisible), 1,202 guests, and 806 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,216
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.