Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
wbyfan1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Ok all, I need to rant a bit here. I just purchased a new RCBS 505 beam scale, online. To say I'm disappointed would be a vast understatement. I decided on the 505, as I've been using a borrowed one from a friend and was impressed with the accuracy and build quality.

First thing I noticed after pulling the scale from the box was the quality of the base. It was the most flimsy piece of diecast metal I've ever seen. The slightest bump while using would easily displace it. My buddies old 505 base is about 2 to 3x the weight of the new model.

After setting up the scale, it would not hold a zero. I cleaned the pivots, checked the knife edges, magnets, etc.. All was well...and it still wouldn't hold. Called RCBS and they couldn't help. Just said to send it in and they would give it a look see, which is the last thing I want to do. The flimsy direction sheet included was a joke. The black and white photos were so faded, they weren't even legible. Looked like the printer was low on ink!. My buddies direction sheet was printed on a heavier card stock in full, vibrant colors and are easily legible.

It all started to make sense when I discovered the "Made in Mexico" label on the bottom of the box! Obivious RCBS is trying to save money on the manufacturing process at the cost of quality. To be honest, this new 505 scale reminds me of a cheap Chinese knock-off when compared to the older unit. This is all very discouraging to me. I've always perceived RCBS as a company that builds quality components and products. Guess they are now caught up in this whole Globalization farce.

Anyway, guess I'll be returning this scale and looking at other options.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dang, I'm glad I've got one of the old ones...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This should be interesting. I've never actually seen someone dragged to the city gates and stoned before.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 5sdad
This should be interesting. I've never actually seen someone dragged to the city gates and stoned before.

That reply was very dry, and very funny.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Call RCBS and see what they say. I bet they'll replace it. I've got a 505 and a 10-10 and both work well.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I bought a 505 a few years back and had the same issue not holding zero. I turned around and bought a 10-10 and have had no issues with it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
djs -- so do I. 505,10-10 BOTH OLDER MODELS.

Sorry to hear, hope all are not that way.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
wbyfan1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by JGray
I bought a 505 a few years back and had the same issue not holding zero. I turned around and bought a 10-10 and have had no issues with it.

Thought about doing the same thing,(for about a second) then realized the 1010 has probably suffered the same manufacturing makeover as the 505.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I quit RCBS years ago when they went to chinese castings for their presses. There equipment never 1ST class .
Cisco

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The old ones were made for RCBS by Ohaus

Last edited by SEdge; 07/12/12.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SEdge
The old ones were made for RCBS by Ohaus

Bingo!!!! Shop the gun shows, I see them somewhat regularly, I recently saw a pristine older Ohaus/RCBS10/10 scale, complete with the paperwork and still had the plastic sheet for shipping under the clear cover and in the original box for $40. Frankly, a gift at that price.

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I have a 5-0-5 scale and two 10-10 scales. The 5-0-5 and one of the 10-10 scales are older. Less than two years ago I accidently dropped a heavy object on the balance beam of one of the 10-10 scales I had bought used. I called RCBS and they said to send the complete unit and broken pieces to them and they would solve the problem. Less than ten days later a brand new scale in a box marked printed in Mexico arrived at no charge to me. I called to ask for an invoice and they told me they replaced the scale I bought as a used scale from somebody else with a brand new in the box scale at no charge to me. I use the newer scale and do not notice any appreciable differences between the one they sent me and the much older model I had that says made by Ohaus. To me they are a TOP NOTCH company and I would not hesitate to buy from them again. I much prefer the 10-10 scales to the lighter and smaller 5-0-5 scale but use the smaller scale in my portable reloading kit that I take to the range and on long distance prairie dog shoots. Talk to them again and see how much extra to upgrade to the 10-10.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A no brainer to me. If you haven't made a mistake, you are not truthful. Give RCBS a chance. This is the best way to handle this type problem rather than on a forum.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And then no one would have to know about any problems. If a person had a problem, they could just think that they were the only one. Everyone else could be in the dark about potential problems with a product.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Wbyfan,

I understand your frustations. I purchased a 5-10 scales in 1976, and have used it ever since. Excellent set of scales. About 10 years ago, I bought a Lyman Dial-A-Grain at a gun show. I cannot imagine a better set of scales. RCBS offered the same one as a Model 304. (Or maybe it's the 504) Dang old memory! blush

Personally, I never cared for the 505 unit, I like the 510, much better. If I were you, I'd try flea-bay, there are always some for sale there. Be patient, tho', if you want a good buy. smile Or, as has been stated, haunt the gun shows. FWIW, I've found that it's good to have a back-up.

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've found some good deals on Ebay for reloading stuff. You gotta know the retail price and know what each piece is worth so you don't over pay. Occasionally there's a bargain to be had.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
10-10 is the way to go

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
RCBS is the most customer friendly, service oriented firm I have ever dealt with. They made things right, not only when it was a problem with their product, but also when it was clearly my fault. I was willing to pay for my screw-up, but they replaced parts for free anyway. I recommend that you contact them.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I remember reading in some magazine (a rather detailed review of RCBS products) that a lot of their stuff is now manufactured in China to remain cost competitive....I have plenty of their old stuff, which was good, but dumped all my new RCBS stuff because of that. If Redding makes the product I need, they get my money now...all my dies have been replaced, etc. I did by one RCBS product recently...a lube pad...it seems to be working fine, but that is about all I will buy from them now. What a shame.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
W
wbyfan1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
A no brainer to me. If you haven't made a mistake, you are not truthful. Give RCBS a chance. This is the best way to handle this type problem rather than on a forum.

The primary reason I posted is not because my scale didn't work, but more importantly to voice my discontent with RCBS's choice to downgrade the quality, and move production of their 505 scale to Mexico. Was this chioce made to remain competitve in the market or to simply increase profits at the cost of quality? Don't know. All I do know is, the difference in quality between old and new is remarkable. Figured my fellow peers, who share the same passion for reloading and guns that I do, would like to know this before spending their hard earned Benjamins on a new scale.

If it makes you feel any better, I left a msg with RCBS 's manager of quality assurance to voice my opinion. Haven't heard back from him yet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 58 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,929
Posts18,518,914
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.