Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
July 13, 2012

Dear Mr. Haas,

Thank you for contacting me about the United Nations (U.N.) Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) and the Second Amendment Sovereignty Act of 2012 (S. 2205). As a supporter of S. 2205, I appreciate hearing from you about this important issue.

Like many Pennsylvanians, I have long been a supporter of Second Amendment rights. They are of fundamental importance to our nation, and I believe that Americans have a personal, constitutional right to self-protection and to engage in recreational activities involving firearms. In fact, during my previous tenure in the House of Representatives (1999-2005), my record of supporting gun owners' rights earned me an "A" rating from the National Rifle Association.

That said, I understand and share your concerns about the ATT. As you may know, this treaty was created in 2006 by U.N. General Assembly Resolution A/RES/61/89. Its purpose is to create international standards for the arms trade. Like you, I am deeply concerned by this treaty because of its potential infringement on our right to keep and bear arms. You may be pleased to know that I recently joined 44 of my Senate colleagues in sending a letter to President Obama and Secretary Clinton opposing ratification of the ATT.

In addition, Senator Jerry Moran (R-KS) introduced S. 2205 on March 19, 2012. Among its provisions, this measure expresses the sense of Congress that U.S. sovereignty and the constitutionally protected freedoms of American gun owners must be upheld and not be undermined by the ATT. I share your views on the issues underlying this bill and am proud to cosponsor it. S. 2205 is currently pending before the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations for review. Although I am not a member of this committee, please be assured that I will continue working with my Senate colleagues on advancing this legislation and protecting Second Amendment rights.

Thank you again for your correspondence. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Pat Toomey
U.S. Senator, Pennsylvania

Contact your senators and let them know what you think! They (sometimes) do pay attention.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be writing him too. And the other guy.
I wrote a column about it for tomorrow's newspaper. Once it's published, they'll be hearing from me.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
45 Senators sent a letter to Obama against it?

That's really good news!

No way that it gets ratified....

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

That's really good news!

what you don't think he'll pull some cheep trick and let it be ratiffied anyway ,dictator obammer won't let it rest

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

That's really good news!

A treaty requires 2/3 of the Senate to ratify. 55 didn't sign the letter, presumably because they're in favor of it. So, O'bama starts with a majority. Then he needs only 12 to flip. Given the way he passed the Patient-Unaffordable-Careless-Tax/Penalty-Act, or whatever it was called, they might not be too tough.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I also wrote Toomey and Casey regarding this issue. Toomey's reply to me was identical to this one. So far no word from Casey. I expect he will support the treaty, he is a typical democrat scumbag. Has supported BO in every issue since elected.

Last edited by TwoTrax; 07/13/12.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think O expects it to be ratified by this senate. I don't think there is any prohibition to him signing it in the hopes that some future Senate where the grabbers hold more sway will approve it later.

NRA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,288
Posts18,486,906
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.