-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is anyone also using the bore coat on brand new rifle barrels prior to barrel break in? I'm curious if the bore coat would help during break in procedures. I would also like to know how often do you need to apply the bore coat? Is there a way to tell other than it is taking longer to clean your rifle than before?.....
Thanks,

BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
GB1

B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
BD,

I have applied Dyna Bore Coat to a brand new bore, that on a Ruger #1. I thoroughly cleaned it first, but it took much less to do so, as there was no copper fouling or carbon buildup.

I did no 'break-in' procedure on this one, and it cleans up slick as can be. So-called break-in procedures presumably make a rifle bore easier to clean up, but the DBC does the same thing, or better.

The Dyna Bore Coat is supposed to last the life of the bore, according to their literature.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
BlackDog1,

DBC lasts for the life of the barrel, so you only have toapply it once. It may even lengthen barrel life, but the jury's still out on that one.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Bighorn smile
I didn't recall anyone posting comments about using it on new rifle barrels and if they had found that it improved or aided in the break in process.

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks John,
Whats your experience been with using it on new barrels through a break in process? did it help?

BD

- Winston Churchill-

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Mule Deer,

I've used the DBC on a half dozen guns with mostly good results.

One of the rifles is an extremely accurate and consistent ZKK in 30-06 that was also consistent in placing the cold clean bore shot well away from where it was supposed to go, as in 2-4 inches away, then settle in and shoot small groups to a consistent POI.

After a couple shooting/cleaning sessions, I discovered that it no longer tosses the first shot. I was sort of surprised and I dragged out the cleaning gear and started over and sure enough the next cold clean bore shot went into the group.

I know this is the sample of one, and I have an untreated 338 I intend to try out that does the same thing, but have you observed anything similar?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That's an interesting story on your "fouler" shots. Interesting to me because this morning I was at the range with a 7mag that I treated with DBC a few days ago. I "shot it in" as per directions a couple of days ago, cleaned it the first time afterwards, and shot it again this morning. I had no foulers/flyers either. very first shot of first group was right in the mix of the other two. The group went .469 with the "fouler". May be purely luck or coincidence, I don't know, but it's never happened to me with this rifle before.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
BlackDog1

If you are referring to the shoot once then clean method. Save your ammo it is a waste of time. That's old snake oil from the 90s promoted by some writers who now know better.

The best break in method is to just shoot the rifle.
Or, apply bore coat and shoot following the instructions.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SU35
BlackDog1

If you are referring to the shoot once then clean method. Save your ammo it is a waste of time. That's old snake oil from the 90s promoted by some writers who now know better.

The best break in method is to just shoot the rifle.
Or, apply bore coat and shoot following the instructions.

Thats the answer I was looking for... Mel should be delivering my NULA fairly soon.
I know he will test fire it and send a target with the rifle. I was thinking about cleaning the bore and using the bore coat from there. I'm very interested to hear more about the outside the group fouling shot now being a part of the group after some folks used this product...The dyna shield information is very interesting also....great post
BD

- Winston Churchill-

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've used both the Dyna Shield/Bore Coat on four rifles so far. Especially like the Dyna Shield for exterior surfaces. The way I test to see if it works properly is try some oil on the surfaces where the product has been applied. If the oil beads, and just sits on the surface...it's done it's job. The Bore Coat works as advertised and cleaning becomes a snap. Just make sure the bore is really clean before applying as per instructions.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to try them both.

Steve

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I bore-coated my .308 Savage before shooting it. With about 240 rounds shot, and no cleaning at all, it will still shoot back-to-back .22" three shot groups and go five-for-five on clay pigeons at 300 meters. Great product.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 673, 16penny, 27 invisible), 2,021 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,268
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.