Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

I've always figured the 270 - and single shots- were kid's guns wink , consequently, I've never killed anything with one.... the 270 anyway. I thought I might get the 'assist' on this one, but the 10-year-old stuck him well and had him doing the circle dance in short order. His date with the alder patch (or my 286 grain Partition) was abbreviated by neat A-Frame hole through the chest and opposite shoulder blade.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Evening Klik -

Dang!! A 10 yr old......has already killed a 'deer' bigger, heavier, & a bigger rack than I have. sick envy

Can I like him now? smirk grin
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S son, I'm jealous. smile smile

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by johnw

everyone has opinions... endless, pointless, academic debate over things that are best experienced is another thing...

John W, mav, Brad, et.al.

Alright lunch time here. Before I eat.... (loony?)

Yes, indeed John, experience is much preferred over theory.

Have you all NOT heard of R & P (preparation).

I may never get to Alaska or Africa. If I get to go for Brownie or larger African game.... I'm prepped. I'd get a 375 ouch n ouch with proper bullets.(BTW, I know I can shoot it accurately) For Alaska I have an 8 RM w/200gr NP.

Can anyone tell me I would be ill equipped?

I'm hoping to get drawn for an elk tag in Ark, and I am able at least right now, to go West for Elk or Mule Deer (4 legged).

NOW I promise I am NOT being a S-A nor hateful.

I HAVE ON HAND 270 W with 150 NPs

I HAVE ON HAND 30-06 with 165 HBTSPs AND 180 gr NPs.

I HAVE ON HAND 7mm RM with 154 HSPs AND 160 gr NPs.

I HAVE ON HAND 300 WM with 180 NPs

I HAVE ON HAND 8 mm RM with 200 NPs

I have not mentioned the Swede because I haven't done anything with it but mount a scope (yesterday), appropriate bullets are available for Western hunting.

Can ANYONE tell me I don't have adequate or appropriate cals & bullets for the intended game. Remember I've never been there yet.

How can it be that I could get PREPARED w/o having BTDT?

I'll tell you how. I've READ GWs for yrs. I've bought books and mags with the subjects of game & guns. BTW Bob Hagel's book is not a bad example.

I have learned from the success and failure of OTHER'S experiences. I have LEARNED from MANY of you guys here on the fire as well, even you Brad. I have also used all of these cals on WT for personal familiarity.

Can ANYONE tell me that I'm ill prepared for these hunts or game?

Experience is much prefered, but the experiences of others can TEACH us what/how to do.

So maybe we should not be so quick to tell someone else they can't possibly have accurate or proper opinions about a subject they have had no experience with YET.

I remain Y'ALLS friend.

Jerry

ps - I've had 2 phone calls while posting this, will have to eat while I work.

Sell 3 of those five and use the proceeds to take the other two on hunts to get some of that experience your interested in. It'll mean more to you in the long run.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by pointer

Sell 3 of those five and use the proceeds to take the other two on hunts to get some of that experience your interested in. It'll mean more to you in the long run.

Okay smile.....................Which 3? confused confused smirk grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Can't believe I've forgotten to post this quote from layne Simpson: "If you can shoot, the .270 Winchester is a great elk cartridge. If you can't, it isn't."

I'd keep the .270 and .300. Or keep the .30-06 and sell the other four.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I bought a small half inch think book by Finn Aagard maybe 20 years ago. In the chapter on cartridges, he stated that he had seen more clean kills with a .270 that any other cartridge.

I have used a few of them and owned a few more, but for the medium game I mostly shot, there wasn't much between it and the chamberings either side of it. If I ever saw a differnce, it was a time when I had both .270 and .30/06 rifles and a bunch of factory ammo, which the majority of Aussies never used, so I popped off a few dozen animals with each and noted the '06 dropped more on the spot between the two.

Having said that, I researched the variety of bullet weights, contruction and velocities which were huge in variation, something like 2620 fps for the slowest .270 up to 3000 + and in the 2500+ range for the '06 up to mu hand loads at again 3000+fps.

What I concluded was that for the 150 - 220 pound game I was culling, the additional caliber seemed to demonstrate a differential over the .270.

Now again, having said all that, I would still use a .270 for just about anything that doesn't "usually" bite back, as I would a 7mm and a volume of other choices.

Becuase there is history of the .270 taking bear, elk and moose, it is not plausible to say it is not suited to the above because our generation has the best bullets in ballistic history.

It comes down to the rifleman. If you are a hunter, it is enough.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Can't believe I've forgotten to post this quote from layne Simpson: "If you can shoot, the .270 Winchester is a great elk cartridge. If you can't, it isn't."

confused confused decisions, decisions!

I'm being as honest as I can be. I could NOT decide between the 270 W & 300 W
unless I absolutely HAD to

There is no more than 4 ozs between them. Both shoot better than needed
Both are a pleasure to hunt & neither one punish you to shoot. I'm not
talking about bench competition.

There was a time I seriously considered the 7 R M as 1 all around rifle for myself.
Now the Winlite 300 has stolen my heart.

For big game hunting I could easily choose the 300 WM (belts & all) for my ONE rifle.

I have nothing against the 06, it's just vanilla smile

Pardon posting from my phone. Lunch time.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I HAVE used the 150 grain Partition in the .270. In fact most of my hunting with the .270 has been with various 150 grain bullets as the one "flaw" I've seen with the typical 130 grain/.270 loads is a sometimes lack of penetration due to "excess" expansion.

It "kills" well, but I (personally) want to see a hole in-hole out EVERY time and the 130 grain bullets just don't do that as well as the 150 grain loads in my experience. The "problem" with using 150 grain loads is that it slightly reduces the long-range ability of the .270.....which is one of it's major advantages.

As AussieGunWriter states, I have also found that as caliber increases....so does "effectiveness" on equal size game. The question becomes....How much "effectiveness" is really needed? The 7mm Magnums are just as flat shooting and slightly more "effective" than the .270.....but at the cost of a (generally) heavier gun and increased recoil. On game less than 250 pounds this "advantage" is seldom needed.

Once again, everyone seems to missing the point about the .270. The question wasn't "What CAN it be used for?" (which is nearly ANY annimal in the world), but "What game is it BEST for?". That narrows the field quite a bit. I am not disparaging the .270....I actually LIKE it....but I DO believe that any time someone says he "NEEDS" to use "premium" bullets for hunting anything.....he has just admitted that the chambering IS inadiquite for the job at hand.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
It comes down to the rifleman. If you are a hunter, it is enough.

"Be Enough Hunter"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall

Okay smile.....................Which 3? confused confused smirk grin
Based upon your further reply in this thread...
I'm being as honest as I can be. I could NOT decide between the 270 W & 300 W
unless I absolutely HAD to
...I think you answered the question. Keep those two and sell the rest. If you can't decide which to take on a given day, be sure to keep a quarter in your pocket and make sure you're capable of flipping it in the air. Catching it is optional, but does make the final decision easier and would help prevent any back injuries. wink

You'll remember the hunts more than the rifles anyway.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
Geez People.... Personal preferences aside is there anyone who thinks there is enough killing performance difference between the 280, the 270, and the 30/06, to buy one over the other?

I have all three. grin cool I haven't shot anything with the .280 yet with emphasis on the YET. If I draw a tag this year I just might take it.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TexasRick
I HAVE used the 150 grain Partition in the .270. In fact most of my hunting with the .270 has been with various 150 grain bullets as the one "flaw" I've seen with the typical 130 grain/.270 loads is a sometimes lack of penetration due to "excess" expansion.

What are shooting with it? Mostly deer? In 26 years of deer hunting, I've never seen this "flaw"...in fact I've never shot a deer with the 270 with anything but 130 grn C & C's.... and all have been pass throughs. Maybe on a hard quarter shot I may one day catch one but haven't yet but I don't know why you say they lack penetration....sounds like a bullet choice rather than a cartridge issue to me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

...I think you answered the question. Keep those two and sell the rest. If you can't decide which to take on a given day, be sure to keep a quarter in your pocket and make sure you're capable of flipping it in the air. Catching it is optional, but does make the final decision easier and would help prevent any back injuries. wink

Yes, I certainly could be happy with ONLY those 2 > 270W & 300WM.

'Most' people will not say, "they're overlapping" or "they're redundant". I say the 300 is JUST MORE of a good thing. smile

Neither one is what I call 'pretty'. The Tikka T 3 SS is nice looking to me BUT both are boat paddles.

I have pretty rifles but they've gotten too FAT for my liking. frown
My M6, 6mm Rem is very good looking. wink

Actually, now that I think about it, my 70 FTWT 6.5X55 is both PRETTY & COOL. whistle and NOT FAT. wink I haven't used it on anything YET; the idea of using it on Brown Bear is not comforting.

TO ME - The 300 WM, 180 OR 200 grns = more COMFORT. smile

Guys, I just can't help it. I'm in the "and larger category", just the way I was raised.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by M1Garand

What are shooting with it? Mostly deer? In 26 years of deer hunting, I've never seen this "flaw"...in fact I've never shot a deer with the 270 with anything but 130 grn C & C's.... and all have been pass throughs. Maybe on a hard quarter shot I may one day catch one but haven't yet but I don't know why you say they lack penetration....sounds like a bullet choice rather than a cartridge issue to me.

+1....same experience here, no problem with penetration on deer....all have been pass throughs using 130 gr. Partitions, 130 gr. Remington Core-Lokt PSP and 130 gr. Federal Premium Boat-Tail SP. Would really like to recover a bullet.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems like Elmer said the 270 was only good fer skunks & weasels...or...maybe he said only skunks & weasels used a 270....

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Originally Posted by M1Garand

+1....same experience here, no problem with penetration on deer....all have been pass throughs using 130 gr. Partitions, 130 gr. Remington Core-Lokt PSP and 130 gr. Federal Premium Boat-Tail SP. Would really like to recover a bullet.

No problems here either. Vast majority of time I have exits with standard bullets in the .270 on deer sized game. Certainly no different than 150-165 in the .06 or 140s in the .280. Can't help but think somebody got a bad batch of bullets.

I was just reading on some other site the other day where a guy runs some operation in New Zealand or someplace exotic and claims his operation has killed 7000 some critters and the .270 has given the best results with clients. As J'OC once said - pick your experts.

Lou

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Credit where credit is due!

MD - you made the suggestion FIRST. It took a little soul searching but this is a new conclusion for me.

I've considered a 3 rifle battery for everything and 1 of these 2 would be in the 3. (varmints - deer (family) - D G). Since I'm not very likely to hunt D G, these 2 could service a multitude of hunting needs. Or I could have a varmint rifle + the 300.

I don't mean to and am NOT bragging, for the foreseable future I could afford a hunt for mule deer - elk AND keep my arsenal. I've worked and skimped to assemble the collection I have. I'm not too interested in thinning down to 2 rifles.

I've been assembling these for many years. Partly for an investment. I only have 1 rifle that will take a while to make any profit on it. The others can/could be sold at a profit.
Maybe NOT the highest % return BUT how many people lost a lot OR all their profit in the last few yrs? Too many AFAIC. To date I have not lost any on the firearms I have.

All this discussion has RE-affirmed my affinity and belief in the 270 W & 280 R. Both are exceptional cartridges for a WIDE variety of game.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
.270 Winchester: What is the best big game for this cartridge?

Big game are arming themselves with the 270!?! shocked

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, last Friday the best game was a fallow buck. Apparently the .270 works alright in the bush too. Go figure. More to it than you think. Now, NEXT week...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by CarlsenHighway; 07/15/12.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I've used a Win. Model 70 in .270 the last 11 years and haven't lost one animal. I've taken Dall sheep, elk, and caribou. My bullet choice is 140 Nosler Partitions and muzzle velocity is 3050 FPS. I've only recovered one bullet. The rest went completely through. Excellent round.

Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,315
Posts18,487,306
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.