Print Thread
Hop To
D
dai_sca Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I am now in FL and won't be hunting the mountains and meadows of Southern MO -- my favorite area was accessible by water, White Cr Wilderness off the Eleven Point River. This is basin and range ozark country, with long meadows and hills and something akin to mountains. Can someone clue me in on Bowhunting TN or perhaps N AL or GA? someplace where you can public hunt and get out back by yourself? Thanks, Dai

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dai
I am now in FL and won't be hunting the mountains and meadows of Southern MO -- my favorite area was accessible by water, White Cr Wilderness off the Eleven Point River. This is basin and range ozark country, with long meadows and hills and something akin to mountains. Can someone clue me in on Bowhunting TN or perhaps N AL or GA? someplace where you can public hunt and get out back by yourself? Thanks, Dai

Florida has some excellent deer hunting, actually.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Dai - hunted lower Alabama many moons ago on the public lands, sounds about like what you are trying to do. Limited experience, but I found the public lands there to be very crowded and over run with hunters, especially on ATVs. It was not what I had expected. I'd look at a lease, if you can swing it. I've found through the local hunting clubs that I had better chances there than I did waiting to learnt the public lands.

I've been told that the Florida turkey hunting is decent as well, maybe some members here have experience?

Good luck - it can frustrating trying to discover new territory.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
check out TN dnr website and look at the public lands in Wayne and Hardin county , they are just across the state line from my home in Alabama . I have hunted them for about 25 years now and they don't recieve a lot of pressure even on weekends after opening day of each season . I have a lease in Hardin county and actually hunt the public land as much as the lease . you can use your atv and the roads are well maintained but no over night camping allowed , although i have overnighted in my truck a few times .

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Try Chuck Swan or Catoosa Wildlife Management Area

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Nothwest Alabama around Cherokee hassome good deer, Wheeler wildlife refuge is bow only. Some of the islands on Guntersville lake with boat access are producers.
As for TWRA WMA's I don't know how much pressure they get, but like most places if it has limited access and you have to walk you can find deer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
twra wma's don't get the pressure like they did back in the 70's and 80's

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
dai_sca Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I appreciate the input and hope you guys keep it up. I am likely to do 3 states if I can swing it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 1,636 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,991
Posts18,520,194
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.