Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
ChetAF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RinB
Chet,
I do much more hunting now and less fussing about. I have never seen a hunter packing more than one rifle. I have noticed an inverse relationship between those who hunt and those who "build".

A big amen to that!

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Chetaf
Chet,
I do much more hunting now and less fussing about. I have never seen a hunter packing more than one rifle. I have noticed an inverse relationship between those who hunt and those who "build".

A big amen to that!

Chet

I don't know alot of hunters, who travel anyway, without a back-up rifle.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I know if I ran the numbers on what I have spent on guns in the last 10 years I could have certainly bought a Legend. The thought has also ran through my mind to liquidate what I have to fund a legend.
Think Darcy will build one in 300 Ultra mag?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe I'll start off with a Simillion "Myth" and work my way up....... grin

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
BWalker.

Answer is: Yes.

Brian

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bob,
Do you regard your Mashburn built by Simillion as a "parts gun"? Not buying your reasoning. I know you too well my friend. What about this talk of needing a 375H&H wood blued etc to match the Jobson/Biesen style rifle? You are pandering.

I see guys of modest means driving $45,000 Ford pickups which will be worth $10,000 after a few years. They finance them. Why not do the same for a rifle that will last a lifetime?

Last edited by RinB; 07/16/12.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rick of course you know I agree with what you say.Having a fine cutom made is the best way to go,financed by fewer lesser rifles. You and I have had too many of these conversations the last 25-30 years(has it been that long? Ha!)

No, the Mashburn is certainly not a "parts" gun,but is the best syn-stocked rifle I have owned and worth every penny it cost to put it together...like your 7 mag.I have never regretted the money spent on the customs....they were just all too nice!

In a perfect world a guy has a Burgess-type G33/40 stocked by Milliron or equivilent,chambered for 270 or 280;and a "Jobson-style" 375H&H M70......Oh My! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
How about a Burgess G33/40 in African Walnut? LOL!
Burgess metal work is awesome and the G33/40 has panache in spades.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BWalker
How about a Burgess G33/40 in African Walnut? LOL!
Burgess metal work is awesome and the G33/40 has panache in spades.

B: I'll take it! smile

Wisht I had the Burgess/Ottmar 1909 in 300 Win Mag back... frown

Phew.....what a rifle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see guys of modest means driving $45,000 Ford pickups which will be worth $10,000 after a few years. They finance them. Why not do the same for a rifle that will last a lifetime?
I agree wholeheartedly! However, getting my wife to view it that way is a whole 'nuther ball game. I'll take any tips on getting over THAT hurdle... wink

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I know it can and will change from day to day, and month to month, but what kind of turn around time does Mr Simillion have on a complete build like he did on the Mashburn?

I have a 300 Weatherby in a Model 70 that could do with some attention after I get back from South Africa this fall...you guys got me thinking again...

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Having the very best rifle means there is nothing to improve upon. There is much too much focus on the cartridge rather than the thing that makes is go bang. Any long time classic ctg will get the job done with modern bullets.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
McCray I ordered the rifle in January IIRC; it showed in June,early summer.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Gene is one of a handful of rifle builders that keeps the time commitments which he makes. He is consistently reliable.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bob, I still have that Burgess G33/40 B&A 280. You need it?

Last edited by RinB; 07/17/12.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
LOL! Yeah Rick, I need it! grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gene is one of a handful of rifle builders that keeps the time commitments which he makes. He is consistently reliable.

Yes. Rick and I talk many times about "burn out" on custom rifles...too much of it over the years chasing small parts all over the country;spec'ing this and that,explaining what you want,etc,etc.

But with Gene (and remember we were doing a wildcat)I told him how I wanted it set up;magazine,length, parts etc...weight,components. Gene "got it" very quickly,and the conversation was over....it was like talking to myself because he understood exactly what I wanted.

From there, it was easy....I never really talked to him until it was almost ready and he told me he had already done some load development;reported vels,sent targets,told me the barrel cleaned up nice and the rifle would shoot where it should from a clean bore....no fouling required.Ready to go.

Might be the easiest custom I have had built.And he was right on time even though I never asked him for a commitment how long it would take...no need to do that with Gene.You will get your rifle in a timely fashion.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Having the very best rifle means there is nothing to improve upon. There is much too much focus on the cartridge rather than the thing that makes is go bang. Any long time classic ctg will get the job done with modern bullets.

Then the only thing to improve is your abilities in the field.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have 2 of Gene's rifles on pre-64 actions. One is a 30-06 the other a 270 (really exotic cartridges). They are identical. Pre-64 transition actions, Echols Legend stock, Gene's fabulous scope mounts and Leica ER 3.5-14. Both weigh about 8.25 lbs.

The actions are so smooth they are beyond your wildest dreams. They function impeccably. The triggers are perfect and boy do they shoot. The 30-06 will shoot 165 or 180 Barnes ttsx or accubond .25 to .5 all day. Shoots Berger Vld's better than that.
The 270 is the better shooter and will absolutely stack 130 Bergers or accubonds. (I won't tell you how good it shoots or you'll consider it an Internet myth).

Needless to say I am happy with my Simillion's. I now have 2 rifles. I have parted ways with a Mcwhorter, NULA, Sisk and Holland. All excellent rifles and wonderful rifle makers, but not even on the same planet as the Simillion's. All my rifles shot good, but none functioned like the Simillion's. I can't post pictures from iPad, but can email some if anyone would like.

Anyone considering a Simillion can pm me anytime. He's a true artist and gentleman.

ChetAF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pointer
I agree wholeheartedly! However, getting my wife to view it that way is a whole 'nuther ball game. I'll take any tips on getting over THAT hurdle... wink

That is a tough one. Some women are untrainable. grin

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (akrange, 12344mag, 2500HD, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 44mc, 10 invisible), 1,879 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,085
Posts18,501,687
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.