Print Thread
Hop To
Z
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Rock Grip Aluminum Bar Wading Boot & River Crampon

I do not work for Patagonia. Just thought it was an interesting take on mountaineering ideas that Yvon Chouinard helped develop and revolutionize.

And before anyone thinks, "Ah, you have to send them in. Built-in money-milking scam." Patagonia almost always has an insane warranty and an even more insane customer service department. It'll likely be free to fix the crampons except for the postage to Patagonia. One of the best customer service departments I've ever dealt with, and they don't make excuses. They do and get done.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's an interesting idea for sure. Maryland outlawed felt this year and I went with chotas, like I had in felt, and they were pretty bad until I screwed in a bunch of studs. Now it they' re working fine. I don't think they're as good as felt in the water I fish but they're a lot better hiking in and out than felt.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the gals is using these and LOVES them. I think I'll give them a try on my non-felt boots. I haven't had the boots long enough (only had them this season) to know how they perform on slippery river bottoms. And I really don't want to screw the cleats into the soles. So I'm liking the looks of these.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MissTreated; 07/13/12. Reason: picture instead of non-working link

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And they are beautiful. Bling for the sole.

AKA Calamity Jane
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Patagonia has very good customer service.

I was looking at these boots for an upgrade. I already havevthe
Patagonia felt bottom wading boot.

I just picked up up a pair of Simms rubber bottom with the star cleats and very happy with them .

Originally Posted by ZenoMarx
Rock Grip Aluminum Bar Wading Boot & River Crampon

I do not work for Patagonia. Just thought it was an interesting take on mountaineering ideas that Yvon Chouinard helped develop and revolutionize.

And before anyone thinks, "Ah, you have to send them in. Built-in money-milking scam." Patagonia almost always has an insane warranty and an even more insane customer service department. It'll likely be free to fix the crampons except for the postage to Patagonia. One of the best customer service departments I've ever dealt with, and they don't make excuses. They do and get done.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the AL bar Pantagonia boots and feel like spider man on the stream. They work really well, easy to walk back to the car in and even will work in a boat if you have to wear waders in one. Boots are very comfy also.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by vmthtr
I have the AL bar Pantagonia boots and feel like spider man on the stream. They work really well, easy to walk back to the car in and even will work in a boat if you have to wear waders in one. Boots are very comfy also.

Doyou put a piece of carpet in the bottom of your boat? Looks like those bars would make for some slippery standing in boats.

How are those cleats for mud build up?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can see chains getting hung up on a root wad or under water branch. I really like felt and hope they let us stick with it here.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm just wondering what kind of damage the aluminum bars are going to be doing to the stream bed? Sure, bars like that have been around for a while, but were few and far between. But with so many anglers giving them the big thumbs up, just how many will be on heavily used streams, leaving aluminum on the stream bed? Now maybe some of you live in places with little angler traffic, but the Big Thompson, South Platte, lower Sacramento lower Yuba, lower American (to name a few) may have tens of thousands of angler days a year.

I am still liking my Korker Chromes with the interchangeable soles. Might as well just toss out the pure rubber sole, but the rubber sole with the studs works all right, though the traction is different than with felt. The nice thing about the Korker system though, is that killing critters in the (synthetic, I believe) felt sole only means soaking/freezing the sole, not the whole boot. I can also use the same boots in AK, MD, CA, CO etc... Just change sole as needed. The big drawback about the Korkers, is that they only go down to a size 7 Mens. Unless you're a woman with good sized feet, don't bother to apply.

Scott

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M,

Aren't those just traction aids used for icy sidewalks and the like? Or are they purpose made for wading?

Scott

IC B3

Z
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
I recommend you write Patagonia. Yvon Chouinard is a serious environmentalist and conservationist, as well as being a fly fisherman since the early 70s. He's active in getting dams removed and original habitat revitalized. Point being, it is highly unlikely that environmental impact wasn't a significant part of the R&D for these products. Environmental impact and footprint are two key components to his business model. He's human. The company surely makes mistakes, but it does work from this perspective. It wouldn't surprise me if they would share this research with the public. Patagonia is more transparent than most companies, especially with how their business model caters to the environment and conservation. Write them. They're great about responding to concerns.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 64 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,675
Posts18,513,249
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.