I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes Sir

How's the fishing off the coast doing currently, you heard anything from Albert or the other guy?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
C
Depends on what species you are fishing for. Your bass tackle will work fine for trout and reds using artificials. What do you think guys?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
it would work fine.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'm out this year, lads. I'm bummed, but you all ought to be celebrating. With me not there, guaranteed that all kinds of fish will be caught...

wink

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Youse guys are cruel....

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
I'm out this year, lads. I'm bummed, but you all ought to be celebrating. With me not there, guaranteed that all kinds of fish will be caught...

wink

We'll miss you Boston. Maybe next time cause we just may catch a few.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Still trying, but neither airline I have free flights on goes there. I could go into San Antonio and rent a car, or buy a $500 ticket into Corpus and have somebody come get me. Sixes.

Think I might have to give it up.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
birdy is in San Antonio, you might be able to hook up with him. thats what Leighton did last yr.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well I'll be jiggered. Delta now has flights into CRP I can buy with miles.

Would it be better for me to fly in the day before (22nd) or on the 23rd if I landed at 4 pm?

I'd likely fly back out on Monday 27.

Note that if I do this, I'll have nothing with me but a bag o'clothes. I'll have to beg an air mattress and everything else needed.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 07/17/12.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
if you want to fly in the day before i can pick you up. i plan on running down the the island early on the 23rd and get camp started then run back into town to meet whoever i need to.so either day will work.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool beans. Then I could help mind camp while you're off collecting other bodies. Let me keep working this, it might just pan out...

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

wink

We'll miss you Boston. Maybe next time cause we just may catch a few.

Hey, thanks Gordon/Awesome-Snacks-For-Everyone-And-Even-Supplied-A-Wayward-Yankee-with-Shelter-and BOOZE-and- Excellent-Company-to-Boot-guy. wink I really enjoyed our hanging, friend. I'll darken your presence again. Count on it.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by stxhunter
birdy is in San Antonio, you might be able to hook up with him. thats what Leighton did last yr.

Hey, I paid you to never mention that. WTF?

wink grin

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Well I'll be jiggered. Delta now has flights into CRP I can buy with miles.

Would it be better for me to fly in the day before (22nd) or on the 23rd if I landed at 4 pm?

I'd likely fly back out on Monday 27.

Note that if I do this, I'll have nothing with me but a bag o'clothes. I'll have to beg an air mattress and everything else needed.

Ah. It's like magic! I say I'm out and Rocky allasudden kin make it? lol.

A surprise attendance now considered.

wink eek cool whistle grin

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
http://www.saltyangler.com/tyler.htm

Tyler Thorsen

Surf Report

Updated 7-20-2012

In the late 1990�s and the early part of the 2000�s a group of us from the Shore Fishing and Casting Club International (S.F.C.C.I) spent nearly every weekend we could camping and fishing down the beach. We�d caravan down Friday night and head back the same way Sunday afternoon. Nick Meyer of Breakaway Tackle named this group �The Frog Hunters� after the characters in the book �Cannery Row�. Our credo was �Nobody is stuck until everyone is stuck and Nobody�s out of beer until everyone is out of beer� It was on these many trips we refined how to camp and cook on the beach, beach vets showed the newbies the finer points of beach etiquette such as how to park without blocking the road, shared surf fishing tips, and in general taught us quite a few things about life and that in fact everyone COULD run out of beer. I�ve assembled a long thread on my FAQ Forum titled �P.I.N.S. (Padre Island National Seashore) Survival Kit and Driving tips at http://www.corpusfishing.com/messageboard/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3776 It answers many of the questions on what to do and not to do, a good list of items you will need etc. and is useful for any beach camping not just the P.I.N.S.

I like to choose a camping spot based on a structure or hole that might be in front of it. There�s nothing like waking up and hitting the surf right in front of camp and bringing in fish. Be sure to choose a spot above the high tide line and the last high road you see on the beach. That will keep you out of the line of traffic. Use traffic cones, yellow tape or reflectors but DO NOT BLOCK the road or dig trenches around your camp as that is illegal. Be sure to tell the kids that those tracks are roadways and likewise keep an eye out when passing by camps. Kids and dogs are so fixated on the beach they think nothing of darting across the road. It is also wise to set vehicles on either side of your camping area on the chance that someone running the beach at night doesn�t see your camp. It is better to hit one of the vehicles than folks in tents.

Pick a tent that is easy to set up and preferably one that is not too dark as they really retain the heat during the day. Be sure to practice setting it up at home in the backyard before you have a bunch of tired hungry kids whining while you�re fumbling in the dark for the flashlight and the directions on how to set it up. Don�t ask me how I know! A plastic kitty litter tray filled with water at the entrance to the tent used to wash your feet off before entering really cuts down on sand in the tent. Use real talcum powder and dust yourself off. The talcum powder does a great job of getting any sand off of the rest of your body.

Ice, water, and shade are the three things you need to watch during the summer. Your ice will always last longer if your items are already chilled before you ice them down in the ice chest. It helps to freeze things like water bottles, and noncarbonated drinks beforehand. The same goes for meat too. If you have traveled in from out of town, be sure to drain off the ice and top it off once you arrive before you hit the beach. Have one ice chest for drinks etc. That ice chest will get lots of opening and closing and will burn up ice the fastest. Reserve at least one ice chest that is full of block ice and always keep it in the shade or bury it in wet sand. Save the melted ice water to put in a bag shower. Just throw the bag shower on top of the hood on a dark vehicle and you�ll have a nice warm shower to end the day.

The 10 foot and 12 foot EZ up Canopies can be lifesavers during the heat of the day and will keep the kids out of the UV rays during midday. Heat exhaustion is a real threat so stay cool in the shade and drink plenty of cold water.

These past two weeks have been the best so far this summer. When conditions have allowed trout anglers have been getting impressive stringers of trout from Mustang Island down to South Padre on top waters and live bait. On P.I.N.S. the best trout action has been south of the 30 but things change rapidly. Sargassum is lighter south and generally fishable in most areas. Spanish Mackerel, ladyfish, trout and redfish are also present in the surf as are pompano and whiting. There are lots of pony mullet and bull and black tip sharks working them so stay close to the beach in those areas with lots of bait.

In memory of fellow Frog Hunter, Rodney-Meyer-Sandifer Davis (1/5/1959 � 6/20/2012).

Tyler Thorsen

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Roger, as we get closer to the date I am still trying to figure out my presence.
As I have said I would be travelling with wife and kids (almost 3 at the time, and 1year old). Seems we would be driving in from Houston on Friday.

My wife is a little concerned as it seems she would be the only woman around, and doesn't want to make everyone uncomfortable by the little kids and her presence.

Have you heard of any other women and kids coming? Would it be fine it they join?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not sure what Twilight Zone website I visited yesterday, but Delta does NOT go to CRP. I'd have to fly into San Antonio.

SO, is there anyone who could meet with me there on the 22nd and share the ride to Corpus on the 23rd?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
birdwatcher is here in cc, just got done fishing with him. i'll talk to him tomorrow, i'm sure he'll pick you up.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
not sure if anyone else is bringing their wife, i'm sure some kids will be coming.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 19 of 30 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (AceBall, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 15 invisible), 984 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,092
Posts18,522,131
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.