Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
375HH Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
QUESTION: Have you found a practical and suitable way to attach blaze orange to your high-quality mountaineering headgear, especially a way that allows you to use more than one hat, a hood, rain gear, etc?

Why?

After hunting Alaska and Africa the last few years I've been spoiled not having to wear blaze orange. This year I'll be hunting mule deer and elk again in the mountain west, and have to comply with Colorado law for blaze orange which includes this regarding headgear:

"...Part of the fluorescent orange must be a hat or head covering visible from all
directions."

I used to use the typical blaze orange hats as you would find at Cabela's, but for hunting in cold climates, after hunting Alaska, I now mostly use hats made by mountaineering clothing companies like Mountain Hardware, or by companies like Sitka Gear, etc.

I want to stick with the mountaineering grade gear I have now.

I already have a wide array or headgear in blaze, and also some headband-type orange bands, like blaze fleece ear covers, I'm also aware that some people tie surveyors tape around their hats, but I'm looking for something better.

What works for you?

Last edited by 375HH; 07/15/12.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 375HH
QUESTION: Have you found a practical and suitable way to attach blaze orange to your high-quality outdoor headgear, especially a way that allows you to use more than one hat, a hood, rain gear, etc?

Why?

After hunting Alaska and Africa the last few years I've been spoiled not having to wear blaze orange. This year I'll be hunting mule deer and elk again in the mountain west, and have to comply with Colorado law for blaze orange which includes this regarding headgear:

"...Part of the fluorescent orange must be a hat or head covering visible from all
directions."

I used to use the typical blaze orange hats as you would find at Cabela's, but for hunting in cold climates, after hunting Alaska, I now mostly use hats made by mountaineering clothing companies like Mountain Hardware, or by companies like Sitka Gear, etc.

I want to stick with the mountaineering grade gear I have now.

I already have a wide array or headgear in blaze, and also some headband-type orange bands, like blaze fleece ear covers, I'm also aware that some people tie surveyors tape around their hats, but I'm looking for something better.

What works for you?

A blaze-orange ski cap that fits right over a billed hat or, that can be worn all by itself. And, a light weight blaze-orange vest that fits over whatever clothing I happen to be wearing. If it happens to be unusually hot, I also pack a blaze-orange hat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I buy orange hankerchefs from bass pro. Tucks right into the band on your jungle hat and sits on top like a staypuff pastry.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
neck gaiter. If cool wear it around your neck, if cold you can pull it up over your mouth, if warm you can use it like a head band over a hat.

Like stated above I have blaze hat, and a light overvest, as well

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a UA beanie that works great when warm. Going to order a plenty coups cap for colder weather.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a UA beanie, a cotton ball cap, and an orange bandana for around my boonie hat. Probably have less than $30 in the lot.
sd

375HH Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by superdave
I have a UA beanie, a cotton ball cap, and an orange bandana for around my boonie hat. sd

Yeah, me too - that's the problem. I want to make my Sitka Gear and Mountain Hardware headgear orange legal; ditto rain gear hood, etc.

And my boonie hat doesn't work well for me at 11,000 feet in November.

I've not seen an elegant solution yet.

Last edited by 375HH; 07/16/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What about a blaze orange BUFF? They can be worn over about any hat that you'd be wearing.

http://www.planetbuff.com/shop-buffs/year-round-buff/blaze-orange.html

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
At 11,000 ft in a storm I think you'll see more Yeti than you will DOW officers.

In all seriousness, I've had a couple camo-hood-up rainy conversations with DOW officers during the hunting season and they never said anything. I wouldn't sweat the hood.

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I would buy a yard of the blaze fabric and make a hat band/cover that will fit all the items in question. It would take just a few minutes with a sewing machine. I would buy some velcro strips 1/2 to 3/4 wide and cut it into squares and sew one half of a few squares to the band/cover and the matching halves to the head gear you want to use. (if you don't want to sew because the hat/hood is waterproof, glue it on with shoe goo. The velcro will keep it secure.

If you can't sew, make a mock up with paper and tape and take the mock up to a local seamstress, she will likely sew it up in a just a few minutes.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At 11,000 ft in a storm I think you'll see more Yeti than you will DOW officers.

In all seriousness, I've had a couple camo-hood-up rainy conversations with DOW officers during the hunting season and they never said anything. I wouldn't sweat the hood.

I have to agree, no Fish Cop is going to get upset with a guy using a hood in a storm.

As far as your other question, I have used a blaze orange "ear muff/fleece strap" over my ball cap for years. I bought it at a sporting goods store in the running department. It's light, and keeps my ears warm while keeping me legal in WY.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a UA beanie, a cotton ball cap, and an orange bandana for around my boonie hat. sd

Yeah, me too - that's the problem. I want to make my Sitka Gear and Mountain Hardware headgear orange legal; ditto rain gear hood, etc.

And my boonie hat doesn't work well for me at 11,000 feet in November.

I've not seen an elegant solution yet.

"Elegant"??? It's a hunt and not a stroll down Rodeo Drive. Whatever works from a law enforcement officer's interpretation is all that matters, really.

375HH Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by pointer
What about a blaze orange BUFF?

Okay! That looks interesting! Have you had a chance to try it yourself yet? My head with a beanie on is bigger than that of the pretty lady! Do you find that it's big or stretchy enough to fit over beanie hats etc?

375HH Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I've had a couple camo-hood-up rainy conversations with DOW officers during the hunting season and they never said anything. I wouldn't sweat the hood.

Well that's a good point. While I know most -- let's say 99% -- of the officers are good folks with common sense, I just hate giving the individual officer the freedom to decide what should be done in a particular situation in case I run into one in a bad mood or who is behind on tickets or whatever, especially if it's easy for me to address, that's all.

375HH Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by noKnees
I would buy a yard of the blaze fabric and make a hat band/cover that will fit all the items in question.

That's a good idea and if I can't find something on the market already then I'll do just that. Thank you!

375HH Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Maverick940

"Elegant"??? It's a hunt and not a stroll down Rodeo Drive. Whatever works from a law enforcement officer's interpretation is all that matters, really.

Not that "elegant," definition #2:
1. Pleasingly graceful and stylish in appearance or manner.
2. Pleasingly ingenious and simple.

375HH Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by KCBighorn
[quote=superdave]At 11,000 ft in a storm I think you'll see more Yeti than you will DOW officers.

I have used a blaze orange "ear muff/fleece strap" over my ball cap for years. I bought it at a sporting goods store in the running department. It's light, and keeps my ears warm while keeping me legal in WY.

Thanks - another good idea.

375HH Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Still open to ideas but to experiment I ordered an orange "buff." I didn't even know what a buff was except this one, but I've never seen one in orange. smile

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 375HH; 07/17/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Maverick940

Not that "elegant," definition #2:
1. Pleasingly graceful and stylish in appearance or manner.
2. Pleasingly ingenious and simple.

Somewhat pleasingly ingenious and simple in a financial sense, is a couple yards of blaze-orange polyester and a one-layer vest pattern and a scissors and a sewing machine.

In any case, even more pleasantly ingenious and incomparably simple, is an extra-large or double extra-large one-layer blaze orange vest and a blaze orange ski-cap and a blaze orange ball-cap. But that's me, because I'm all about light and compact and easy and convenient and very uncomplicated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,530 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.