Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'd probably have what I always have, my 220 SIG. But, in truth, any of the above can be made to work.
Since you heard them enter, you have the time to get ready for them. Use it wisely, and that means don't warn them that you are awake and making ready to shoot'em.
Shotguns are nice in that they stop super well. BTW, no bird shot, unless it's at least BB's.
They, shotguns, have some serious drawbacks at close range. They make poor clubs.
But, the bottom line, is that in that situation you fore warned, and you have some choice as to where and when the music starts. The battle is already going your way. E

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by gunner500
10 rounds w/20 pellets each #1 Copper Plated Buck in a 2 3/4" 18" cylinder bore SG is not unwieldy to me...

Gunner

Not unweildy to to SWAT team members coming through the door of the wrong house, either!

Oh, wait. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned that. blush

laugh No, an AR-10 w/a 90 round drum and 130 TTSX's @3K LOL

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To answer the question seriously, I'd take the shotgun in a New York minute.

When it comes time to really kill or be killed and carryability or concealment is not a factor, I want the most destructive weapon I can get my hands on. A Ma Deuce would not be unwelcome if it means dropping them before they have a chance to harm me.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Ralphie
[/quote]

How you propose to maneuver a shotgun while walking the hallways of your home?

Really? You can't walk your hallway with a shotgun in your hands?

For this choice I'd choose the shotgun. But I wouldn't feel undergunned with either choice. Having the drop on intruders coming up the stairs with a shotgun, I'd actually feel fairly confident. [/quote]

Ralphie,

Were it only so simple. Not only do you have to consider maneuvering it, you're also going to have to worry about having it taken from you.

While doing an interior search, a handgun is the way to go. But I'd suggest not doing so unless you have other family members to protect.

R

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
The room-broom of course.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Shotgun, even if it is a Mossberg.

And if you run it dry it will make a far better club than any handgun.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Interesting listening to the trains of thought on this thread so far.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
pistols are for fighting your way to a long gun,
shot inside, rifle outside.

^^^^^^^

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
My train of thought has left the tracks. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Raisuli

For this choice I'd choose the shotgun. But I wouldn't feel undergunned with either choice. Having the drop on intruders coming up the stairs with a shotgun, I'd actually feel fairly confident. [/quote]

Ralphie,

Were it only so simple. Not only do you have to consider maneuvering it, you're also going to have to worry about having it taken from you.

While doing an interior search, a handgun is the way to go. But I'd suggest not doing so unless you have other family members to protect.

R [/quote]

Do you think a handgun can't be taken from you? Gimme the shotgun, everytime. I don't know why I would have a Mossberg, but it is what it is.

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Got a little Mossy 500 10 shot pump, melted the factory tacks on the heat shield speed testin buckshot one day, took it to the shop tigged her a bit, hit it with some high heat header flat black and shes GTG.

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I lied, just went and looked, its a 590 Mossberg.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shotgun, much as I love my semi-auto pistols.

More chance for hits with misses than the pistols & more likely to put an intruder out of commission with any hit.

I've seen a couple of people who were hit with shotguns at close range...........not pretty & neither survived.

MM

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Shotgun isn't that much further out than one of your arms. If you've let three bad guys within arms reach, you probably already lost. Defensive shotgunning isn't rocket science and a few techniques can significantly limit your losing the fight even if someone is less than an arms length away. They grab the barrel and you pivot, drop or move the butt and it puts the barrel end where you want it or in a place that at least stops the fight for them. If they can grab the action, they'll have grabbed any pistol/revolver.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
R
auto hands down 16 40's work

FJB
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Raisuli

Ralphie,

R[/quote]
Nope...wrong again. Based on my training and experience there is no finer tool for room clearing than a 12 ga shotgun loaded with 00 Buckshot. Proper training and 100's of practice sweeps will ensure one is both proficient and capable of handling a shotgun in tight urban environments such as one's home. Any attempts to wrestle or disarm me will result in a mouth-full of barrel or the butt-stock of the weapon to the teeth. It is highly unlikly that Mr. Badguy can get a hand on the weapon before emptying at least one load of 00 Buck into him if proper tactics are employed.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like shotguns.

Bedside gun is a extended magazine 870 with a 18 1/2" Mod choked barrel and tritium rifle sights.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I like shotguns.

Bedside gun is a extended magazine 870 with a 18 1/2" Mod choked barrel and tritium rifle sights.

Very nice choice sir

Buy once, cry once.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We gotta keep in mind the difference in choices could very well be defined by the differences in home construction/environments..

In my particular house - because of it's design - a shotgun in the bedroom would place me at a disadvantage.. For others, it may be by far the best choice..

Actually, (but it's not one of the choices) my STAG AR would be better...but of the offered choices, I'd have to stick with the pistol..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with Redneck�

To state that YOUR choice should be the choice of everyone is awfully arrogant or at least presumptuous.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,830
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.