Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
257wby Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For those on the fire who don't like the NRA:

Washington (CNN) � The number two Democrat in the House signaled on Tuesday that some Democrats could join with Republicans to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt of Congress later this week, citing pressure from the National Rifle Association.

Republicans on the House Oversight Committee approved a resolution last week holding Holder in contempt for failing to release documents related to the committee's investigation of the failed gun trafficking operation known as "Fast and Furious." The full House is scheduled to vote on the measure Thursday.

� Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Some gun rights advocates, including the NRA, maintain that the program that allowed hundreds of weapons, including assault rifles, to go across the border into Mexico was a way for the Obama Administration to press for new gun control laws. Oversight Chairman Darrell Issa said on Sunday he had emails showing the administration planned to point to the operation and push for a "weapons ban or greater reporting."

When asked in his weekly session with reporters to give an estimate of how many Democrats might defect on the vote, Rep Steny Hoyer, D-Maryland, replied "I can't."

Hoyer immediately pointed out that the NRA has "weighed in on this issue" and acknowledged "there are some members who will consider the recommendations of the NRA."

"Whether they think those recommendations are founded or not I don't know at this point," Hoyer added.

Democratic leaders are urging rank and file members to stick together and oppose the resolution, according to a senior House Democratic aide. The vote in the committee last week was a party line vote, but that came before the gun lobby formally registered its support for the contempt resolution. Rarely has any pro-gun rights Democrat representing a rural and southern district broken with the NRA's position on key votes, especially in an election year.

The NRA's Executive Director Chris Cox sent a letter to Issa after the committee vote last week supporting his efforts. In the letter Cox writes, "It's no secret that the NRA does not admire Attorney General Holder," adding, "for years we have pointed out his history of anti-Second Amendment advocacy and enforcement actions."

"The reason we support the contempt resolution is the same reason we first called for Attorney General Holder's resignation more than a year ago; the Department's obstruction of congressional oversight of a program that costs lives in support of an anti-gun agenda," the letter explains.

The NRA, which frequently weighs in on congressional races with endorsements and a national grassroots network, also put members on notice that anyone who votes against contempt could face consequences in the fall election. "This is an issue of utmost seriousness and the NRA will consider this vote in our future candidate evaluations."

The top Democrat on the Oversight Committee, Maryland Rep Elijah Cummings, pushed back at Chairman Issa's claim that he had evidence that Operation Fast and Furious was an effort to push for a ban on assault weapons.

"I don't believe that, and I think it's very unfortunate that people are coming up with these theories," Cummings told reporters Tuesday.

Hoyer challenged Issa to produce evidence that linked the failed gun walking program to an effort by the administration to press new gun laws. He also chastised the GOP for moving ahead with the full floor vote on Thursday, calling it "an inevitable conclusion that the rush to judgment, the rush to consideration is again the choosing of confrontation over consensus in the resolution of issues."

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
But...But... But... All the NRA does is send me junk mail asking for money!!! Taking all that time to either send them a $10 donation or put it in the trash cuts into my Swamp People and America's Got Talent viewing time. Heck, they even interrupted my dinner with a phone call once!!!

Oh wait, I gotta go. I gotta make out my monthly check for $100 for my cell phone and another $100 for my DirecTV....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good post, 257, and thanks for bringing it to our attention.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257wby
The top Democrat on the Oversight Committee, Maryland Rep Elijah Cummings, pushed back at Chairman Issa's claim that he had evidence that Operation Fast and Furious was an effort to push for a ban on assault weapons.

"I don't believe that, and I think it's very unfortunate that people are coming up with these theories," Cummings told reporters Tuesday.

Hoyer challenged Issa to produce evidence that linked the failed gun walking program to an effort by the administration to press new gun laws. He also chastised the GOP for moving ahead with the full floor vote on Thursday, calling it "an inevitable conclusion that the rush to judgment, the rush to consideration is again the choosing of confrontation over consensus in the resolution of issues."

Elijah Cummings and Hoyer two pieces of [bleep] that need flushing!

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 06/27/12.

NRA Lifetime Member
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
About time. Have any NRA members been contacted to call and threaten their Dimwit congressmen?

Last edited by eyeball; 07/22/12.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

NRA is right on this, BUT......

it has nothing to do with guns, F&F, or even the 2A.

It has EVERYTHING to do with a corrupted head of DOJ.
All else is side issues, to be dealt with separately, IMO.

Chairman Issa's claim that he had evidence that Operation Fast and Furious was an effort to push for a ban on assault weapons.

He's lying.
Everyone knows that is what it was about, only very few have the guts to say so. It was also about shoring up phony numbers (read LIES) of US guns in mexico.

All in all an all out attack on the 2A by holder and obummer and a bunch of other corrupt bastard Traitriots in the fed alphabet soup mix.

Hoyer challenged Issa to produce evidence that linked the failed gun walking program to an effort by the administration to press new gun laws.
That treasonous holder has all that evidence, and MORE, and everyone knows it, ya [bleep] liberal BASTARD! WTF do think is the point of all this?

He also chastised the GOP for moving ahead with the full floor vote on Thursday, calling it "an inevitable conclusion that the rush to judgment, the rush to consideration is again the choosing of confrontation over consensus in the resolution of issues."

Rush to judgment?
RUSH TO JUDGMENT???
He's been stonewalling for MONTHS AND MONTHS!!!

My God.
These phking liberals never quit.
They need beat down. They really do. Every time a liberal opens his mouth it needs met with knuckles. HARD! Teach 'em to just keep their filthy mouths shut and their smutty little mental quarks to themselves.
My tolerance grows thinner by the second.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After leaving the NRA years ago, I just joined again.

I suppose the never ending phone calls, junk mail, and spam email from them is a small price to pay, all things considered.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ps

All else said about the NRA still stands. Don't twist things and use as a distractionary measure. Just because they're right about something doesn't change my mind about them one whit.
I"m done with 'em.
Forever.

Besides, as I said above, it's just a distraction.
This is about holder's contempt, not 2A.

Keep separate issues separate.
Holder is a traitor and a liar and nra is money grubbing cowards more concerned about job security than anything else.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Remember--- there's only ONE truly effectice anti gun organization--- the NRA

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No organization is perfect, but if anyone thinks we would not look like Britain without the NRA, they are delusional.
Believe it or not, we really are stronger together than alone. Fighting is a team sport......

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
ps

All else said about the NRA still stands. Don't twist things and use as a distractionary measure. Just because they're right about something doesn't change my mind about them one whit.
I"m done with 'em.
Forever.

Besides, as I said above, it's just a distraction.
This is about holder's contempt, not 2A.

Keep separate issues separate.
Holder is a traitor and a liar and nra is money grubbing cowards more concerned about job security than anything else.

I don't care what little opening I can get a crowbar under - when I NEED to pull the nail!

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Remember--- there's only ONE truly effectice anti gun organization--- the NRA
Did you mean to say "ANTI-gUN"???

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I fear the whole F&F thing is going to be buried under the theater shootng.

The media is harping on gun control and demonizing the NRA.

Holder and the others are going to try to say this is just an attack by the radical fringe.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
+1 what stray round said.

Where are the charges, where did they go and what will be done SOON?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,312
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.