-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What are you going to hunt in a cotton field? No seriously I go out that direction but not right near Lubbock to hunt geese in peanut fields which is pretty effective. Guess it depends on what you call "near". I personally am not a fan but I am a tree type person, or at least vegetation that can get head high.

You can't really tell in the scaled down photo but there's a couple thousand geese over each shoulder flying around. The guys out there kill some pretty nice deer as well but I've never gone out there to deer hunt. Lots of sandhills as well, flying ribeyes. There are a metric ton of pintails out that way each fall as well as mallards and teal, pintails being the big draw.

They have a song about Lubbock.....

I thought happiness
Was Lubbock, Texas
In my rear view mirror

[Linked Image]

Last edited by NathanL; 07/21/12.

Otto is my co-pilot.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Tejano
Lubbock or leave it, most leave. Good deer hunting in most directions but might have to go 1-200 miles. Good access to NM antelope if you can get permits and not a bad shot back to Colorado.

I can handle that, I've driven further before to hunt and stayed in Colorado. I doubt I'll hunt NM for antelope as I can drive 6 hours back to Colorado and hunt Dads' ranch, plus that comes with free food and lodging. wink

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
As stated some really good waterfowl hunting and pheasant. I hunted closer to Amarillo for both. Head East or SW and Audad are possible the problem as everywhere in Texas is access with out paying exorbitant fees.

Some big whitetails and Mule deer much closer but you will really have to search for them and a place to hunt.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yea, I loved the mud storms myself. Grad. school there was a REAL new experience.

A bunch of us hunted playas just east of the Muleshoe refuge for ducks, geese, and cranes. God do I love to hunt and eat cranes !!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Be sure to ask a Local why they get so nervous when the wind stops blowing all of a sudden in the Springtime...and whether or not the light poles on top of Jones Stadium are still bent...or what the funny looking little concrete outhouse is in everybodies yard when you get outside of town...

After I moved from Dallas uphere to Lake Texoma fulltime I finally understood why they call the Red River Valley ...Tornado Alley...and the headwaters are in the Panhandle not far from Lubbock...
Cheers
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have had some outstanding pheasant hunting in that part of the state.

I'd also take up dog calling.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
My wife is from Clovis NM....Ive been through Lubbock a time or two with no real reason to stop lol. Flown in to the Lubbock Hair Care Tire and Auto Airport on a tube of tooth paste a time or two. If you like to hunt, there shouldnt be a shortage of critters from Mulies, White tails, yotes, hogs, and prairie dogs.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
In the last of the Mac Davis song he realizes that "Happiness is Lubbock, Texas, drawing nearer, and nearer." I spent a week in the Panhandle with relatives once as a child, and there was more sand in their house than if they lived on the beach - always blowing into everything.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've lived here for over 35 years. I've been all over the country and a good chunk of Europe. Is it the prettiest place? Not really, although most folks have different ideas of what "pretty" is.

To be honest, the last couple of years have sucked. We're in a terrible drought and that, combined with the winds of the La Nina weather pattern we're in, has made for a windy and dusty environment. In typical years, we'll have 1-2 really bad dust storms in the spring (I judge "bad" by whether or not I can see across the street, ha). But, on average, it's not bad at all. But, it has been bad lately.

FLAT. There, I've said it. There's a reason why towns in the area are named Levelland, Plainview, and Brownfield. But, now I get claustrophobic in the Ozarks. So, I guess you get used to it. Does make for beautiful sunsets though.

The drought has certainly affected the waterfowl hunting as most of the playa lakes are dry. Closest deer hunting is about 45 minutes away for whitetail. There is some mule deer hunting closer, but it's limited. But, if you don't mind a short (relative) drive, there is good mule deer and whitetail hunting in the area on both public and private land. Quail are in a decline throughout the entire rollings plains region, but pheasant hunting is still decent I think.

Is it the best scenery in the world? Absolutely not, but it does grow on ya. It is a good city with some friendly people, although it's grown a bit too much for my taste.

Welcome to the area!

Ryan

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I currently live in Shallowater, and work in Lubbock. Wind and dust like you have never seen, especially during spring when all the cotton fields are barren. You will have to get a lease to hunt, but alot of chit to shoot at around here. Mulies, whitetails, lots of bird hunting, and some of the best aoudad sheep hunting in the world down around Post, which is about 30 miles southeast of Lubbock. Would look at some of the smaller towns around Lubbock to live. If you have kids in school, then Shallowater is one of the best small schools around. Very high in academics and decent in sports. We had many options on where to buy a place, but choose Shallowater because of the schools. Its about 10 miles northwest of Lubbock. I have several ranches leased for sheep hunting. Several ranches that I have permission to hunt varmints and pigs and Im sure that I can get you on a good lease. Just PM me if you need anymore info.

Toby Joe

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
One thing I can say about that area is there are geese out there like Ive never seen before.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by Brazos
I went to Tech and liked Lubbock. Sounds like you have an open mind, keep it that way and you'll enjoy your stay.

Can't tell you about leases, I've been gone a while and have family land to hunt when I go back.

Regards,
Bob.

I grew up on a cattle ranch and dry land farm in SE Colorado, so I know what dry, dusty, and windy are like, and still spend a lot of my free time time there helping out my Father who is 73 and runs 400 head of cattle without help most of the year. It wasn't much different then what I've seen of the OK panhandle around Boise City and on down to Amarillo only a lot less irrigation. I've been to Lubbock once on a drive down to Carrizo Springs TX for a hog hunt several years ago but it was a rushed trip drove straight through at night both times.

I like Lubbock, but you'll see some serious sand storms. Even if you live in town, when its blowing sand will be in your house, car, hair, ears, etc. In the Spring, the atmosphere often has a nice, hazy red hue to it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
lubbock is not as bad as odessa but you can expect at times to drive 15 miles before you see a tree. the fellows comment about a tumbleweed passing him on the highway is humorous truth. most hunting in texas has to be ready to roll out hundreds of dollars for a lease. however some decent general game can be located within 250 to 3-00 miles. forget about fishing. the only plus is you aRE'NT TOO FAR FROM THE FABuLOUS ELK & MULE DEER ON NEW MEXICO INDIAN RESERVATIONS. people are some of the best in the world. however if dust storms are new to you --get mentally prepared.---cranky72

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Who's complaing about the scenery in Lubbock?

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I spent a couple days in Lubbock TX last year. The best part was when I returned the rental car.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sorry for your loss. Fortunately, God gave Texas the states of New Mexico and Colorado to play in.

1Minute
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hey now, I've lived near Lubbock all my life, and personally, I think it's great other than the sandstorms. Really, there are plenty of hunting opportunities around. Mule deer to the south, the monsters have all been harvested in the last few years, but there are still some nice ones. White tail to the east below the cap, dove out the ass, quail in spots, pheasant, pronghorn to the far north and south, if you have a tag, and tons and tons of wild hogs. Then there are prairie dogs, coyotes, fox, oh and turkey to the east in spots. You can definitely bag a thing or two, there are a lot of pricy leases, but you can look around and find some reasonably priced ones. Befriend the right folks and you might get a real good price. If a farmer with pig problems trusts you, you can do a lot of pig hunting. And there are geese and Sandhill crane.

Last edited by TxDeerHunter; 07/23/12.
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I've never been much of a bird hunter but I'll look into that. Pigs and
aoudad sound like fun. My daughter wants to hunt bad so pigs would be a great opportunity for her. I'll do some research on NM elk hunting.

I'll actually be working out of Slayton so I have been looking at houses as far south as Post. I'm in the area until Wednesday checking things out. Cost of living appears to be much cheaper than Colorado especially the housing.

Since my job requires seniority to hold positions and I don't have much yet my options are limited as to where I can work. My goal is to get back to Colorado around Trinidad or Walsenburg area but until then I'm going to go where I can keep the family together.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Compared to Chicago or other large towns I had to live in, in order to keep bread on the table, I'd go to Lubbock in a heart beat. Glad to hear your priorities are straight. Go there, enjoy the area, kick butt at work, and move on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be sure to try the dove hunting. Lots of fun and lots of action, so the kids love it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1OntarioJim, 1minute, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,568
Posts18,491,848
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.