Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have one of the newly manufactured Model 70's (CRF) and was wondering if any special rifle prep is in order for a plains game hunt in South Africa in September? What say you? Thanks...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Adjust the trigger. Rock on...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^ that plus a lot of handling, fondling, practice shooting, dry practice.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Adjust trigger
Shoot, shoot, shoot
Use sticks a lot

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
All of the above--plus the really simple addition of Dyna Gun Shield. It's an exterior coating that slicks everything up, plus keeps stuff from ice to dust from sticking very well.

Have tried it enough over the past few years, and it's also good stuff, just like DBC, but even easier to apply.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Is Dyna Gun Shield slick to the touch? How does it feel compared to blued steel or to other coatings?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In addition to lots of shooting with sticks, make sure you get in live fire with a full magazine. Sometimes some bugs can show up with a full mag that don't seem to be there when single loading. Also make sure the scope you are taking has had plenty of rounds fired from under it. Surprises tend to be no fun.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Oregon45,

It goes on top of blued steel, or any other steel. It slicks everything up and protects non-stainless steel from rust, and lasts a long time.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Make sure it feeds and ejects. Some of their latest stuff is a tad goofy..

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Originally Posted by 405wcf
In addition to lots of shooting with sticks, make sure you get in live fire with a full magazine. Sometimes some bugs can show up with a full mag that don't seem to be there when single loading. Also make sure the scope you are taking has had plenty of rounds fired from under it. Surprises tend to be no fun.

I think this sums it well, I'd only add shooting at photographic targets. They get you in the habit of the sight picture you need to see and they will also increase your pre-hunt excitement. Kind of like going to the toy store to play with the toys before Christmas.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
take a roll of plastic insulation tape & keep a piece of it taped over the muzzle to keep the dust etc out of it.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What colour tape? Just kidding Steve, playing silly buggar. Camo electrical tape is so hard to find. smile

With any new rifle shoot it lots from field positions especially the sticks. They work really good but do take some geting used to. Dry fire lets you accustome to the ne trigger, but live firewith the full mag is excellent advice. I load up dummy rounds putting silicone in the primer hole so the firing pin is stopped. Running the magazine full through in dry fire smooths up the action and gets you used to full stroking the bolt.

For me, until I have shot a new rifle a couple hundred times with full mag, I don't really trust it. That is odd because I have never shot a mag full at game with the exception of my single shots. smile

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think this sums it well, I'd only add shooting at photographic targets. They get you in the habit of the sight picture you need to see and they will also increase your pre-hunt excitement. Kind of like going to the toy store to play with the toys before Christmas.
I did this...printed up a near life size kudu!
Honey pie wasn't to pleased I used all the ink from the color printer...That was a $60 target blush

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by medicman
What colour tape?

According to conventional wisdom here on the Fire , it's gotta be blue... laugh

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/24/12.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Deffinatly take a spare scope with you, set up and zeroed for the bases you have on the rifle. (We have picitinny rails, SP). Our first trip had my sons glass go south. We didn`t have a spare, he ended up using my rifle.
This last trip we didn`t make the same mistake, and took a spare...which was not used, thankfully.
We also carried all our optics on board with us, extra scope, bino`s and LRF`s. No problems.

Good Luck

Last edited by CGPAUL; 07/24/12.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Honey pie wasn't to pleased I used all the ink from the color printer...That was a $60 target blush

There's an easier way:

http://africansportingcreations.com...Store_Code=SWC&Category_Code=SABO500

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

There's an easier way:

http://africansportingcreations.com...Store_Code=SWC&Category_Code=SABO500
Their Kudu isn't life size mine was!

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
I would do some practice offhand (no sticks) rapid fire for three shots.

I found out on my second safari that my follow on shots from offhand tended to be low. It turned out that this was a natural (and bad) muscle memory thing when I shot rapidly from offhand. I cured it.

Also, if your rifle has iron sights, sight them in too, not just the scope.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
get a good quality air rifle with a scope. Shoot about 250 pellets through it free hand at random targets in your yard, in addition to your other practice with the actual rifle you will use.

It’s all about Leadership.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MSmitty7
get a good quality air rifle with a scope. Shoot about 250 pellets through it free hand at random targets in your yard, in addition to your other practice with the actual rifle you will use.
Like birds, squirrels and the neighbor's cat?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10Glocks, 160user, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 57 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,375
Posts18,527,445
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.