Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by southtexas
Be sure to try the dove hunting. Lots of fun and lots of action, so the kids love it.

+1, dove hunting is a lot of fun.

GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by remfak
Not a fan, not at all. Dusty, dirty, and some of the worst smelling and tasting water in the country!!

Good luck to you, especially moving there from here. Yikes!!

Nope, that water is only available in Midland.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
It's amazing all of the experts here who have spent a grand total of about a week or less in or around Lubbock. Dust storms? Yep. Cold and windy some winter days? Yep. Great people, inexpensive cost of living, plenty to do, great hunting any direction within 1-4 hours? Yep. It all depends on whats important. There's no better place on the planet to make a good living, live relatively inexpensively, and raise kids than West Texas. I've lived in 6 states. I speak from experience. It's like anywhere else. Take the good with the bad, but the good way outnumbers the bad. You'll likely make enough money that you can hunt anywhere you want.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No doubt. I'd take it 10 times over versus Chicago, east coast, west coast, etc. Just depends on what you are looking for I guess.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by JGRaider
It's amazing all of the experts here who have spent a grand total of about a week or less in or around Lubbock. Dust storms? Yep. Cold and windy some winter days? Yep. Great people, inexpensive cost of living, plenty to do, great hunting any direction within 1-4 hours? Yep. It all depends on whats important. There's no better place on the planet to make a good living, live relatively inexpensively, and raise kids than West Texas. I've lived in 6 states. I speak from experience. It's like anywhere else. Take the good with the bad, but the good way outnumbers the bad. You'll likely make enough money that you can hunt anywhere you want.

+1,000!!!

I did my undergraduate studies at Tech and truly grew to love the place. I would welcome the chance to move back if I could find the right position there. A truly great place to raise kids, the friendliest people in the world and very affordable to live. Can't beat that, and I ought to know as I have lived all over this country. I would be the most miserable person in the world here in New Mexico if Colorado wasn't 20 miles away...

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you gotta go to Texas you should bust some exotics! Those fallow deer and blackbuck are beautiful.

Used to live in Fort Worth. It narrowly lost the "Trapdoor to Hell" title to Phoenix. Where I live now :P

Billboard in Phoenix -- Satan Called. He wants his weather back.

Also, you got lots of hogs in Texas. Should be able to make a go of it.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jlboykin
Who's complaing about the scenery in Lubbock?

[Linked Image]

Dood. That's just awesome.

TF1:

You can hunt whitetails, mulies, prairie dogs, waterfowl, some antelope. Lots of things to shoot at. Not exactly cheap, but you can find places to hunt with some searching. Mostly private land.

If you do move down, we hunt in the Panhandle and may have an opening next year on the land we currently lease. If not, I know several peeps that can put you in contact with some other folks.

It's not cheap, but there are places where a 145-150" whitetail are well within reach.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Misery loves company. All those telling you how nice a place Lubbock is are just lying. I've been there and grew up not to awful far from there. We should have let the Indians have it. Ha

Last edited by BRISTECD; 07/26/12.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Like most things, a lot depends on what you make of it. Some folks are destined to be miserable where ever they are. Opportunities abound, but you have to find them as they generally aren't looking for you.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm moving down to Lubbock or somewhere near there. Just need to get my house on the market here. I'm hopefully going to be there in a couple of weeks, my family will catch up when the house sells.

Karnis I'm mainly looking for my daughter, but wouldn't mind getting in on the action.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jlboykin

[Linked Image]

I'd move to Lubbock for those two....

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
If you liked that, this link will keep you busy a while.......It's worth your time though.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=188&f=1662&t=1050080&p=1

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Yep, the big country and panhandle are just horrible... Not...

Check out the slide show at the top of this page. West Texas Photography.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
WOW! Thanks!!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djones
Like most things, a lot depends on what you make of it. Some folks are destined to be miserable where ever they are. Opportunities abound, but you have to find them as they generally aren't looking for you.

.....said the guy that slays hogs on a nightly basis within 30 to 45 minutes of Lubbock. Hogs are abundant if you have the right contacts.

I've lived in Lubbock for 30 years and second everything djones and Ryan and the other residents here have said. Lease costs???.....not too bad, but don't expect to see much wildlife due to the drought. We've seen our whitetail populations plummet and we're feeding corn year-round on our lease down south of Post. Antelope are much thinner in numbers as well. No quail to speak of and TPWD has requested that hunters lay off because of the small population. Looks like dove numbers will be down, but the hunting has always been pretty good in some spots.

Geese are definitely a bright spot for Lubbock and the area. This year, we have lots of milo in the fields since the dry-land cotton didn't make it. So IF the milo makes it, there will be some crazy numbers just like we saw a couple of seasons ago. Duck hunting....not sure, but should be easy to find.

One thing that sucks right now is that a local developer bought the only public rifle range in Slaton (nothing else close to Lubbock) and it's closed to the public now. Not sure what the plans are for it, but if you don't have private land and aren't a member of the local private range....you're out of luck. I believe the only public handgun range is an indoor range in town and there's also a private range near Slaton.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1lessdog, 1234, 02bfishn, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,570
Posts18,491,864
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.