-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
J
I have a CVA Electra and I have not been able to use it on a hunt yet. I hope to take it out this season. I had it for last season, but I did have the scope sighted in for the place I was hunting. That was my stupid mistake. I do have a question for you or anybody who has one. Have you had any problems with the ignition not lighting the charge? At the range I have had an issue with the ignition. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if there is a common issue with this. I am using white hots pellets, usually two pellets with powerpelt bullets. The problem is I would pull the trigger and nothing, try it again and the same thing. I have had to take the barrel off two times to remove the bullet and charge. Other than that, when it fires I LOVE IT. I have the .50 cal and it sounds like a cannon which is awesome. Any pointers or tips one this would be great. Thank you,

John

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get ride of the pellets, I would use loose powder if I were you....say Triple 7 2F or 3F. I like 3F myself. I have yet had a Fail To Fire...On the 3rd or 4th shot I use the little blue brush that comes with the gun on the ramrod to broom off the face of the BP, pull the BP about every 6-8 shots to clean and Use some type of BP grease. Also pay attention to the "crud ring"..I like to spit patch in between shots at the range...hunting? not so much as we never shoot alot of back to back shots over the week we use this gun in Ohio's gun season. 3,4 or 5 shots over a week without cleaning has not been a problem.
If you want your welcome to PM me for the load/s that I found that work...this gun will shoot excellent out to 200+ yards

Last edited by coyotewallace; 07/09/12.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I'm not sure about whitehots, but most pellets have an initiator coating on 1 end, that initiator end needs to face ignition source!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I think i heard its best to crush the pellet to ensure instant ignition. But IMO i'd just change over to loose powder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have heard the same..I dont like the idea of crushing the pellets as I have heard that give the pellets an inconsistent burn. Loose is the way to go with this gun. The face of the BP looks like the bottom of a sparkplug...so if you dont crush the bottom pellet it just sits on top of the ground(side)electrode. So with that being said......loose powder(not Blackhorn209)in the Electra will be your best friend..if you want to use BH209 PM me

Last edited by coyotewallace; 07/10/12.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just picked up another one of these in excellent condition with the blk web stock and stainless barrel,cheap(Thx to Carlos at Ed's gun shop in Vass, NC). I'm going to set this one up for my friends sons buddy and just give it to him this fall so he will have his on rifle to hunt with us in Ohio's gun season. 3F T-7 with a Harvester CR sabot and the Speer 300g DC works so well out of the other electra I had.I guess we will start there.

Last edited by coyotewallace; 07/24/12.
M
M
I just got one of these myself, don't have it in my hot little hands yet but hopefully it will arrive next week.

I do have a question for you guys who have actually shot them, has anyone used the Lee REAL bullets in theirs? I use those pretty much exclusively in my 1:48 twist ML's, and I'm curious if anyone has any experiences with them in this faster twist they'd like to share?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't help you on the Lee's as I have only shot saboted bullets...

M
M
Well I should be able to post something next week, if the USPS holds up their end of the bargain.

M
M
Will post pictures in a few days, but right now 100 gr of pyrodex and the 320 REAL bullet I got a 3 shot group of .64" at 50 yards, and that is without any fiddling or tweaking yet.

Still need to chrono it, and do some shooting at 100 yards but the initial experience is pretty favorable!

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,815
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.