Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Saw it in the current 4Wheeler magazine. Had to do it to keep up with demand. E

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
interesting..I was looking at some new trucks at the local Ford dealership. I was on the fence regarding the V8 vs Eco boost so I went to talk to the service managers...2 out of 3 said stick with the V8. Gas mileage is not as advertised and there have been a bunch of mechanical issues already. That was what I was thinking in my gut anyway, after 3 or 4 years they should have the bugs worked out.

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Very surprised they're not offering the Ecoboost in the Expedition.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
They have a four banger now too that is in the Explorers. Demand for that could be driving the third shift.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wondering how many turbo failures there will be in a few years once these turbos start getting some miles on them?

Guessing 9 outta 10 of them don't let the turbo cool down at all before they're shut off.

Life is just one damned thing after another
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by cal74
Wondering how many turbo failures there will be in a few years once these turbos start getting some miles on them?

Guessing 9 outta 10 of them don't let the turbo cool down at all before they're shut off.

Every manufacturer with a OEM turbo oughta have the ignition tied to a turbo temp sensor. Turn the key off, the motor will turn off when the turbo is sufficiently cooled. Even my Astro-Start auto-start has a turbo cool-down feature.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Turbo cool down is far over-hyped, it's not needed 99% of the time. I've got a 99 dodge/cummins diesel, it's got 375K on it and the only time I've ever let the turbo cool is after pulling my gooseneck loaded heavy. Otherwise it's just pull in and shut off the engine.

Most of these ecoboost pickups won't ever see a trailer hitch installed, the turbo cool down will be a non-issue.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Adkstalker
interesting..I was looking at some new trucks at the local Ford dealership. I was on the fence regarding the V8 vs Eco boost so I went to talk to the service managers...2 out of 3 said stick with the V8. Gas mileage is not as advertised and there have been a bunch of mechanical issues already. That was what I was thinking in my gut anyway, after 3 or 4 years they should have the bugs worked out.

I'm pleased with mine. Good power and it gets 3 MPG or so better than my friends that have the new 5.0

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Turbo cool down is far over-hyped, it's not needed 99% of the time. I've got a 99 dodge/cummins diesel, it's got 375K on it and the only time I've ever let the turbo cool is after pulling my gooseneck loaded heavy. Otherwise it's just pull in and shut off the engine.

Most of these ecoboost pickups won't ever see a trailer hitch installed, the turbo cool down will be a non-issue.

Maybe true about pulling vs un-loaded and we'll see how these hold up, but I agree that some sort of timer should be an option.

I need to add a turbo cool down timer to my edge CTS for my '07 Cummins. Pulling a heavy load it takes 3-4 minutes to see temps below 400

No/light load about a minute to reach under 400, but I take that minute. Far cheaper to burn a few pennies worth of fuel than to replace my turbo.

I know of more than one turbo replaced in trucks around a 100,000 and in every instance those were people that pull heavy and never let them cool down prior to shutting them off.

Life is just one damned thing after another
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I just put in my order for my 2013 company car and the default option is the escape with the ecoboost. I would guess that lots of the production is going to go into little stuff

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

I'm pleased with mine. Good power and it gets 3 MPG or so better than my friends that have the new 5.0

What kind of MPG are you getting? Neighbor's had one for 6 months or better and is getting around 15. He's an old fart and is pretty easy on his trucks FWIW.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My snowmobile pard bought an Eco last year. Just over 17,000 miles and no problems, but definiely AVERAGE fuel economy. 14-16 around town, maybe 21 on the hwy IF he stays under 65 mph. 70+ and it drops to 17.5-18.5.

Says he will buy the 5.0 next time around.

NRA Patron Member.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by CFVA

What kind of MPG are you getting? Neighbor's had one for 6 months or better and is getting around 15. He's an old fart and is pretty easy on his trucks FWIW.

An awful lot of that will depend on the fuel blends available in your area. Around here, we have to use a reformulated gas that gives poor mileage, about 2mpg worse than regular gas, and that's one good days. On trips out West, my mileage always gets better, because of the blends they get out there, away from Louisville's bad air quality. I suspect that you get the same options we do, and that gives poor mileage results.

Of course, I also have a heavy foot, but even when using the cruise, mileage is bad. I put new tires on the pickup this spring, and the tires have good grip, but I pay for that, too. They have more resistance than the OEM tires that were on it (and would spin on a heavy dew).

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by CFVA

Mine is a 4x4 with 3.55s and gets 15-16 during my daily driving, which is stop sign to stop sign through the city and around a major central busines district. That is the exact same mpg that my last two work cars got on the same commute and they were mid-size cars, a 2004 Cadillac CTS and a 2008 BMW 335. My wife's former 5.3L Suburban averaged 12 on that commute. On the highway I get about 21-22 if I keep it between 70 and 75. One friend has an identical 5.0L and is getting about 12 on a similar commute, but I am not sure about his highway mileage.

The Ecoboost is the first full-size I've ever owned that consistently gets over 18 MPG on the highway. Although, I've noticed my mileage drops significantly above 75 MPH.

E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
As to failures and mileage, they have had very little according to Consumer Reports. They get feedback from alot of owners.
FourWheeler found that when it was pushed hard off road, it went into a sort of sleep mode where it didn't have as much power as usual for a period of time. So, apparently, they have plenty of sensors to keep them out of trouble.
Their comments were that it really does have the power of a V-8 and the mileage of a six. E

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just what I want, a pickup that "sleeps" off road. mtmuley

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mtmuley

Even we who are optimistic about Ford's new twin turbo V-6 and wish them the best of luck with it, learn to pick up these subtle insinuations, huh? shocked laugh

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtmuley

I've usually heard it referred to as a limp mode.

Personally I'd rather have an engine go into a reduced power mode then push the engine until it seizes up. Kicking back letting things cool off beats walking back to pavement to flag down a wrecker.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Real pickups don't limp. While great for commuters and pavement dwellers, I've yet to see or read a real life hard core user of these new eco or ecko boost, however you say it, trucks. Want a car? Get one. Want a car with a bed? Get a Ford F-150. mtmuley

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Notsure about limp, but do know my days of pushing a vehicle that hard offroad or otherwise are past with high school and my early 20s well behind me.

So far I've found mine does fine along sandy pipeline right of ways and muddy mountain roads, which is what matters to me and makes darn good daily "car", which is even better. If I wanted more, I would get an older Jeep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,532
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.