Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I was purchasing a new vehicle the other day, and I noticed something peculiar. In the time I was there, three women were talking to their dealers about needing their cars to have fog lights. They wouldn't buy a car unless it was equipped with them. I, personally, never use mine. Is this just a woman thing or is it an everyone thing?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No, it is a townie pr!ck thing....those bloody dickie lights really p!ss truckies and other heavy vehicle drivers off.

Apparently the manufacturers do not issue off switches with the rotten things....I personally believe that every truckie should be issued a shottie and loads of rock salt just so they can manually turn them off, in fact they can also use the issued kit to discourage grey trippers from coming out at night!

Damn...that felt good.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
sigh. Another new member gone straight to ignore. shocked

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by JSTUART
No, it is a townie pr!ck thing....those bloody dickie lights really p!ss truckies and other heavy vehicle drivers off.

Apparently the manufacturers do not issue off switches with the rotten things....I personally believe that every truckie should be issued a shottie and loads of rock salt just so they can manually turn them off, in fact they can also use the issued kit to discourage grey trippers from coming out at night!

Damn...that felt good.

Not sure what a grey tripper is, but other than that, I totally agree.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
grey trippers, tossers, flossers

it all sounds like katydids to me

some folks take their chitlins stump slung and crik warshed

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Having been born between the Pacific Ocean and S.F. Bay, I never found anything practical about fog lights. It's fog, little drops of water that scatter light. Shine a bright light on it and it reflects right back at you making things worse. Low narrow-beam focused lights may help, but still you ain't gonna see much farther than low beams. When driving at night through the Tule fog of the Sacramento Valley I find a place to pull off the road, truck stop, rest stop, shopping center, and take a snooze waiting for it to clear. It's not just at night either, that stuff can appear during the daytime. One time exiting the freeway saved my bacon when there was one of those huge pile-ups just past where I pulled off. If you slow down to a safe speed, the rubes and stupids will slam into you at full speed - so best to head for cover.

My GMC Sierra has fog lights but they are a nuisance as they aren't hooked into the turn signal stalk controls, gotta fumble with the dash board controls. I just leave them off. So maybe those women were making a style statement.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 07/26/12.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fog lights are a must if you are ridin around in your mustang GT with your Tarheels hat on backwerds, Costos shades , grape cigar in mouth blasting Pit Bull.

it's completes the ultimate prick accessories pack.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Not so fast Sam. I do not know why but sitting in the cab of a semi at night it is those damned fog lights that will blind you. I have no idea why as they should be aimed low but trust me, they sure do the job in a truck driver's eyes. It is not such a problem in my car but in the truck he has it right.

That said, I never had the desire to shoot them out but after driving a night in nasty weather those lights will exhaust you.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slumlord
Fog lights are a must if you are ridin around in your mustang GT with your Tarheels hat on backwerds, Costos shades , grape cigar in mouth blasting Pit Bull.

back in the day it was standard issue on a CJ5 with Michey Thompsons. But it was skoal wintergreen and mich light in the bottle. Course you are from near memphrica and i'm a country boy so that's the difference.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F

Not so fast Sam. I do not know why but sitting in the cab of a semi at night it is those damned fog lights that will blind you. I have no idea why as they should be aimed low but trust me, they sure do the job in a truck driver's eyes. It is not such a problem in my car but in the truck he has it right.

That said, I never had the desire to shoot them out but after driving a night in nasty weather those lights will exhaust you.

huh would have never have guessed that Scott, always figured they were aimed low.......dont have alot of use for them here as usually there isnt much fog and most of what is shows up in the early morning in daylight so adding more light of any type from your vehicle doesnt improve anything.....the couple of times i have used them when i ran into fog while it was dark they did help alot but in 10 years i can count the number of times ive driven in night time where they have been a help on one hand with fingers left over....but im in a near desert....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna

If I am wrong, I'll admit it Scott. I always do. Read his other posts though...........

Sam......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got it Sam. All I am saying is he got this one right.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love them as they have a purpose, but way to many folks seem to be running them constantly like they are hardwired into the headlight system. Please, do turn them off when not needed.

1Minute
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Fog lights need to be mounted low enough so they shine under the fog and that's not done now. My dad always said if they're over 18" above the road all they do is blind you. He had a set on a car mounted on a bar behind the bumper he could swing down when needed. I find them useful when driving along country roads as they illuminate the sides of the road better and help me see deer along the road. I did not know they blind truckers and I'l keep that in mind. I've very seldom used them on a busy highway or Interstate. Fog lights wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. My truck just happened to have them.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fog lights are good when you're idleing around the backroads at night looking for snakes.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Field_Hand
Originally Posted by slumlord

back in the day it was standard issue on a CJ5 with Michey Thompsons. But it was skoal wintergreen and mich light in the bottle. Course you are from near memphrica and i'm a country boy so that's the difference.
Country boy???

GMAFB

you don't even own a pig smoker, and live in a subdivi

you PM'd me asking how to smoke ribs on a gas grill

GFY

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Fog lights need to be mounted low enough so they shine under the fog and that's not done now. My dad always said if they're over 18" above the road all they do is blind you. He had a set on a car mounted on a bar behind the bumper he could swing down when needed. I find them useful when driving along country roads as they illuminate the sides of the road better and help me see deer along the road. I did not know they blind truckers and I'l keep that in mind. I've very seldom used them on a busy highway or Interstate. Fog lights wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. My truck just happened to have them.

When I was working I had a set mounted on the bumper of my service truck, they had yellow lenses for better penetration in the fog,and louvers to direct the light downward.
I drove a lot on secondary roads in Wyoming and Montana at night. I also had them angled outward slightly to illuminate the sides of the road.
If you have ever driven the road from Gillette Wyoming to Broadus Montana (for example) you can understand why.
Those lights saved the lives of many a deer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's why I used to carry a cigar box of BeeBees on the dog house when some a$$hole came up behind me with fog lights or high beams shining into my mirrors blinding me a hand full of BeeBees out the window while doing 60 - 65 MPH does wonders.

So does an spot light with an aircraft landing light pointed to the ground about half way back of your trailer in the left lane tends to work as an educational tool!

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I appreciate fog lights for the low wide beam. They tend to light the sides of the roads from where four legged critters jump. They also work well in the woods where the speeds are lower, and having a wider lower pattern can be beneficial. "Off road" lights, pencils, beams, etc are typically for higher speed and that's not always the need when driving off road.

Seems people are pissing and moaning about improperly aimed fog lights, or improper usage (on a busy(er) highway). Sounds like the same "guns are evil" argument being applied to fog lights. Everyone knows guns are dangerous, can't be handled appropriately, people that buy them are jackasses, there is no use for them...oh wait, we're talking about fog lights. Fog lights are a tool just like any other tool, and they can be very valuable.

BTW, orange/yellow lenses aren't only for seeing better in fog, they are for being seen. In fog, the yellow/amber/orange lenses allow people to see you, oncoming or parked. if someone is oncoming to you they can see your lenses and know they are either in the wrong lane or you are, or oncoming traffic is passing safely.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree about the use of road lights, they serve no purpose on most well traveled roads.
I wonder if perhaps some are talking about them when they mention fog lights.
What I really hate are those bluish white halogen lights.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 1,969 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,755
Posts18,495,480
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.