Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
A little background info before I get to my questions.

A few nights before the movie theatre shooting my squad was sitting around talking about off duty carry guns. I admitted that since its been so hot here that I have caught myself just carrying my Ruger LCP or my Smith 642 and I had never done that before. My squad all fess up that they too had only been carrying thier Ruger LCP's because its been so damn hot. We all agreed that we are going to get caught up into something and all we will have is some pocket pistol. Several guys have not been carrying a gun off duty.

Some my squad then make plans to go to the midnight showing of the movie. Well we all know what happened. Friday night I ask who went and what they carried. Only two guys carried a gun and they were both LCP's but one did have a flashlight. We all said that we should sell those LCP's so we are not tempted to carry them anymore (we all have several good carry guns).

We were sitting around talking about what we have done if we were there. One of my guys said that if he was there with his wife and kids he would have ran for the exit. He made a good point that you may been trying to shoot the bad guy from 25-35 yards depending on how big the theatre is and to make those shots under fire would be very hard. Also the shooter may not have given up if you shot at him and sprayed you and your family with a AR/shotgun.

This got to thinking. I don't know if I would have shot it out with him with my family there. If he would have been between us and exit it would have been on but if I could have slipped out a door I might have. As another squad member said "[bleep] them. They should have brought thier own guns".

I probaly would have been sitting there with my Glock 27, spare mag and a surefire flashlight. To make good shots at distance would have been difficult.

So what gun/gear would you have had? What would have done? I know everyone would have sniped him given a chance but would have picked a gunfight with someone you could have gotten away from?

Dink

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I probably would only have had my S&W Air-lite .38+p on me so unless he was real close I would not be shooting it out with him. However, if someone in that theater pulled a gun and he saw it I'm thinking we would have been the first one running out the door screaming like a little girl. Coward.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
dink it's been hot here? really

i sold my lcp, cuz it just didn't feel like i was carrying much of a gun. i much prefer my smith 342 pd ti for my carrying needs.

FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well I carry a Glock 19 with TFO sights and am a sneaky bastage, I would have tried sniping him once I got the family under cover. Stand up gunfight against a long arm, I think not.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you stood up could you see over the theater seat? Maybe you could stand on a box of popcorn.

wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by T LEE
am a sneaky bastage

Key concept right there.

He had to reload at some point, fiddle with a jammed rifle, walk after the crowd, focus somewhere else, etc.

A shooting is much better than a gunfight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JOG
If you stood up could you see over the theater seat? Maybe you could stand on a box of popcorn.

wink

laugh laugh laugh

He hides his Glock in his plastic seat.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tough crowd...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
DINK,

I have always said that it's better to be a good witness than a dead hero. However, were I to see an innocent victim about to be murdered and I had my weapon with me, I know I couldn't live with myself if I didn't try.

I carried all the time when I first got into the law enforcement gig. After a couple years I didn't carry that often. I usually had a gun in my car but not on me.

Now that I'm retired -I can still carry- I rarely do. However, were I to go into LA or Santa Ana or other gang infested area, I'd carry. I do try to avoid going where I ought not.

A good rule that was taught to me in academy is if you're carrying your credentials carry your gun.

Stay safe,

R

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I would have charged the freak and tried to disarm and kill him before I died, so that others, including my family may live.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Lived in Texas for 12 years and never ever carried anything smaller than Colt Commander.... "hot" is no excuse... A Commander would have been with me that night also along with a Wolfeyes A1 200 lumen flashlight. It is always in my pocket.

I have taught CC and NRA Personal Protection courses for 21 years. I tell everyone the same thing...armed or not GET OUT.

When I was married my wife was also always armed. Her job was one of two things...cover me or get herself out and go call for help... If I had a Scout or 4H group with me my job is to get them out safely.

The above said...I can not run. I spent 30 years in the business and as long as I have the knowledge, skills, attitude and ability I would do everything possible to take the guy out. Don't plan of committing suicide but better to go down fighting than bullet in the back running....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DINK

A few nights before the movie theatre shooting my squad was sitting around talking about off duty carry guns. I admitted that since its been so hot here that I have caught myself just carrying my Ruger LCP or my Smith 642 and I had never done that before. My squad all fess up that they too had only been carrying thier Ruger LCP's because its been so damn hot. We all agreed that we are going to get caught up into something and all we will have is some pocket pistol. Several guys have not been carrying a gun off duty.

Some my squad then make plans to go to the midnight showing of the movie. Well we all know what happened. Friday night I ask who went and what they carried. Only two guys carried a gun and they were both LCP's but one did have a flashlight. We all said that we should sell those LCP's so we are not tempted to carry them anymore (we all have several good carry guns).

We were sitting around talking about what we have done if we were there. One of my guys said that if he was there with his wife and kids he would have ran for the exit. He made a good point that you may been trying to shoot the bad guy from 25-35 yards depending on how big the theatre is and to make those shots under fire would be very hard. Also the shooter may not have given up if you shot at him and sprayed you and your family with a AR/shotgun.

This got to thinking. I don't know if I would have shot it out with him with my family there. If he would have been between us and exit it would have been on but if I could have slipped out a door I might have. As another squad member said "[bleep] them. They should have brought thier own guns".

I probaly would have been sitting there with my Glock 27, spare mag and a surefire flashlight. To make good shots at distance would have been difficult.

So what gun/gear would you have had? What would have done? I know everyone would have sniped him given a chance but would have picked a gunfight with someone you could have gotten away from?

Dink
The problem with your question is that it should be directed at law enforcement only. It would have been illegal for any of us civilians to have had a weapon there. I've heard lots of guys brag about carrying where they aren't supposed to, but even in a theater, that isn't government property, it's illegal. I don't know whether it's a felony or a misdemeanor, and that may vary, state-to-state, but unless you're in one of the few "Constitutional Carry" states, you'd be effed. Maybe in one of those too. Loss of CCW at the very least. Possibly a felony with concurrent loss of weapons and rights to have them.

Some will call it cowardly to not have a weapon, but it's after the fact. Most people who go to the time, trouble and expense to carry legally, aren't going to break the law by carrying in a posted area. So most people here wouldn't have had a gun with them. My guess is that there are a lot of people who are going to be carrying in posted places now, regardless of the legality of it.

As far as what would somebody do...if I had the means and was able to I'd take out the bad guy and let the chips fall where they may. It sounds like a very bad situation with gas, smoke, people running everywhere...general mayhem. My first duty is to my family.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Remember that the laws vary state to state. In some states the owner of a property can post "No Firearms" and it is illegal, as in there is a law that sets a penalty for breaking it. In other states it is a civil right to post but carries no penalty unless the gun carrier is spotted, asked to leave the posted premises and refuses. It then becomes "Criminal Trespass".

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Pretty hard to judge without being there. It also depends on distance, cover, light. Bringing on a flashlight is a pretty good invitation for incoming.

I don't think I could live with myself if I didn't go for it, however.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JOG

wink

[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
Originally Posted by JOG

wink

laugh laugh laugh

He hides his Glock in his plastic seat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Old cat turd!

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing starts a Friday like getting flipped off by a cat. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by DINK

Dink
The problem with your question is that it should be directed at law enforcement only. It would have been illegal for any of us civilians to have had a weapon there. I've heard lots of guys brag about carrying where they aren't supposed to, but even in a theater, that isn't government property, it's illegal. I don't know whether it's a felony or a misdemeanor, and that may vary, state-to-state, but unless you're in one of the few "Constitutional Carry" states, you'd be effed. Maybe in one of those too. Loss of CCW at the very least. Possibly a felony with concurrent loss of weapons and rights to have them.

Some will call it cowardly to not have a weapon, but it's after the fact. Most people who go to the time, trouble and expense to carry legally, aren't going to break the law by carrying in a posted area. So most people here wouldn't have had a gun with them. My guess is that there are a lot of people who are going to be carrying in posted places now, regardless of the legality of it.

As far as what would somebody do...if I had the means and was able to I'd take out the bad guy and let the chips fall where they may. It sounds like a very bad situation with gas, smoke, people running everywhere...general mayhem. My first duty is to my family.

You make excellent points and are spot on.....I do not know what I would have done as far as carrying....I'll admit that I have and do carry in the occasional off limits place but its almost always private businesses who are ignorant and ban guns...like this movie theater, its legal where I live and I always carry in the movies

With that being said, I would not hesitate to use the gun in the theater where carrying is banned. It is far better to face 12 than look up at 6, and in a situation like this: I doubt they would drop the hammer down hard on you for saving lives and it sure as hell would make gun rights look good wink

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My wife does not need much in the way of instruction, as we have discussed this beforehand. That being said I would verbally instruct her just to make it clear.

She heads for the exit with friends/family, while I go on the offensive and disrupt his pattern.

BTW, I would have what I pretty much always have:

G19, spare G17 mag and flashlight.

Though I am a very big fan of weapon mounted lasers w/ white light combo. Since I have been back in the states I have noticed that I have not been carrying mine like I normally did in other places. I need to start carrying it again.

[Linked Image]

With that in mind, I would still carry my flashlight.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Personally i would rather have got shot facing him that shot in the back running. My wife would have been the only other person with me so i would have made her get down and take cover. I would have never been packing anything smaller than my M&P Shield or Kahr P9 . The movie shooting reminded me why i have Night Sights on all my carry pistols.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

165 members (1_deuce, 3333vl, 308xray, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 20 invisible), 14,662 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,966
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.