NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What messed up on his gun?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One.

More hunting and less mental gymnastics about elk rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I can make a real case, in my own demented, rifle-loony mind that is, to take (4) rifles. That'd be a new record. I've taken three rifles several times.

What happens is, I'll have Ol' Faithful, meaning a great elk rifle that'll do just fine... then a backup. That's reasonable and I suspect most of us do that. Most years Ol' Faithful is my excellent .338. The last several years my main two have been that .338 and my Montana, either as a .325 or last year and this year, as a 7 WSM.

But then there's the rifles that are more specialized. How, I ask you, do you leave your stainless 45/70 Guide Gun home?! That'd be silly. There's thick timber on those north slopes. How do you leave the Sendero home? Hell, there's some big meadows up there where you could catch a bull at dusk waaay far away. And so on.

This year I've got 4 that want to go and each of them has utility. The .338 and Montana have to go. Then there's my wonderful .325 BLR... I carried it most of a season up there one year and it, with it's 22" barrel and a 200-gn TSX in the spout and 3 more available FAST.... sure seems like it should go. And dammit, there's several HUGE meadows where guys kill elk every year. My pard keeps seeing them at dusk there. Easily 500-750 yard shooting though. That just screams for my Sendero with it's big Zeiss 50mm scope on top...

Last year I just took two rifles and that'll probably be the case again this year but man, I'd just as soon wheel a whole gun safe up there! grin

I would gladly take a matching pair of Kimber Montanas in 7WSM (or any other light, accurate, reliable rifle chambered in a suitable cartridge), and proceed to kill 'em in the thick stuff or out there a ways, whatever the mountain offers. Who needs a Sendero for that kind of shooting? I've also laid game flat at less than 30 yards, on the run, using a 9x scope. So I have a hard time seeing why the BLR would be necessary, either. A 6x scope is better for this work than a 9x, and there is nothing wrong with less magnification, but a 6x will get it done, close or far.

If you knew that you were going to be hunting exclusively the thick, dark stuff, then I'd just take the BLR. If you were going to drive to within 1 mile of your hunting spot, set up your rifle, and sit and wait, then I'd just take the Sendero. But for a mixed bag of terrain and distances, the .338 and 7WSM are all I'd take.

Here is a vid of a bud and I messing around in the hills. First 3 shots from a cold bore on a 1MOA size rock, across a canyon, shooting uphill at an 11deg angle, with crosswind and updraft. A Sendero-type rifle might be nice for this specific type of shooting, but a Kimber Montana can get by okay, and is a better all-arounder. First two shots went roughly 1MOA high and 1MOA right. I'm not at the point where I'd shoot elk at 988 yards, but I certainly would at well over half that distance. Even if you did have the gumption to smack an elk at 988, if your shots were similar to those in the vid, aim for 1/3 up on the front shoulder and you've got a high rear lung shot with the first two rounds, and a punched shoulder with the 3rd. Spotter on 45x. I'm thinking you don't need a Sendero for long shots on elk.

First few shots at 455 yards. Excuse the music.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I see keeping it simple is not your style Jordan?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The lenses fell out of his K-4 Weaver.

That was many years ago and we weren't into extra scopes, QD rings, etc. We were young and took what we had.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I see keeping it simple is not your style Jordan?

Hah, that depends on what we're talking about! wink

A Montana in 7WSM with 6x42 Leup on top is about as simple as it gets grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Two is typical for me.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Always, only one rifle. But I include in my duffle a scope w/ rings previously sighted in for my rifle and handload. Using Weaver-type mounts, you only need to swap the rings and you're good to go. Personally, I'd check the new scope on a improvised target, if available. But I've found that the Weaver system will be repeatable within 2 MOA.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In about 45 years of elk hunting, I've never seen any reason to take more than one rifle to camp. That includes hunting from a truck camp, a camp that I've packed in on my horses, or a backpack camp.

However there were a few years that I killed my elk on the hill behind my house, so I guess in those years my house was my elk camp, and then I had my whole safe full of rifles in camp. laugh

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I take only the bare-essential 4 rifles and one 12/30-06 BBF... and a drilling. Do the 3-4 22s count? confused

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
3 is the most I've taken before. A long range (300 wby) a short range (500 S&W handi-rifle) and a medium do-all backup (308). Most of the guys i hunt with are 1 rifle hunters, so I consider that do-all back up the CAMP back up. This is also the reason I don't have that 308 in my safe right now lol my dad thought he was going to be without a rifle because my brother said he wasn't going hunting, which means his 742 Jam-master wasn't going to make the trip (dad leaves the gun with us since he travels out of state to hunt). So I left my 308 for him at the family cabin as I was hunting an earlier season. Well he ended up taking the 308 home instead of leaving it up there...not sure why lol.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okiebowhunter
This is a bit embarrassing but I had to laugh when I thought of this. When me and two of my buds graduated high school we went on a 3 week excursion the following fall. We were to hunt lopes and mule deer in Wyoming and muleys with elk in Colorado. Between the three of us we took 17 rifles. We drove my ext cab toyota p/u and 3 4-wheelers on a trailer. With all out gear and three kids over 6'2", it was more than comical. We killed 14 animals and used a total of 2 rifles. Majority of the time my rem 30-06 was the killer.

It was the best hunting trip I have ever been on to date.

Joseph

Yeah, but you never know... whistle

17 is about right. cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I usually take one, since my primary elk camp is my house, but did take two on a fly-in horseback trip to northern British Columbia 10 years ago. It seemed prudent, since it was a LONG way to any gun store, much less a gunsmith.

On that trip one of the other hunters had a horse break the custom synthetic stock on his rifle, right through the grip. Luckily, I was able to repair it with epoxy and some of the synthetic fabric from the oat bags, but his rifle was out of action for a day.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I only take one rifle. I know it can happen, but never had a rifle fail me. Therefore, I don't worry much about it. I know this thread is not about scopes, but I always have a spare scope and I have on one occasion needed it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We have a group of 3 to 4 guys that normally go, and we will take 1 backup rifle just in case...

Go ahead and take 4/5 rifles with, what are you gonna do? Sit in the dark every morning wondering which rifle to carry that day?

You decide to carry the 325 one day, and as the sun rises you reach in your pocket and find yesterdays .338 shells...

This stuff really isn't that complicated.....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kenneth
We have a group of 3 to 4 guys that normally go, and we will take 1 backup rifle just in case...

Go ahead and take 4/5 rifles with, what are you gonna do? Sit in the dark every morning wondering which rifle to carry that day?

You decide to carry the 325 one day, and as the sun rises you reach in your pocket and find yesterdays .338 shells...

This stuff really isn't that complicated.....

Its not complicated, but some guys try to make it that way..Kind of like trying to stick that 338 into the 325, just doesn't work... whistle...I've got my 1 elk rifle (for this year) lined up and almost ready to go. Just need to fine tune that load... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Pic from my wall tent last year. I never left camp crazy , couldn't decide which one to tote.

[Linked Image] crazy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gunnuts, you are one funny dude.... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I actually packed a hoyt maxxis for ole wapiti last year

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (22250rem, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 1,804 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,102
Posts18,522,368
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.