-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
OP Offline
K
Hey everyone, new to the forum. I pulled my first elk tag this year for Unit 55 in Gunnison Colorado, it's a big unit so I'm just looking for any advice as far as gear, places to camp, areas I might look for the elk, etc. I'm not looking for anyone's honey holes or anything, I'm just looking for some advice since the unit is so big and I'm new to elk hunting. I am dry excited about my first elk hunt, whether or not I take an animal I am determined to have a good time. I know it's hard work and I'm not thinking its going to be easy, but I don't quit, simple as that. Thanks in advance for any help or advice, seems like a knowledgable group of people on this forum. Hope to hear from you guys soon! I'm heading up this Thursday-Sunday to scout the area, any tips on preseason scouting would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks guys!

Hunting isn't about the killing, hunting is about the primal urge to pursue and provide food for yourself, your friends, your family and your community. Hunting should be respected and held with great care.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You may be up to your ears in snow that time of year. It might be hard to find a cow. They're the first to leave the snow.

Weather is going to determine how well you do. Scouting now isn't going to tell you much for 4th season.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 07/23/12.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
K
OP Offline
K
That's kind of what my thought was, there are some pockets that, according to the DOW, hold elk throughout the year, even in the deep winter. We will see I guess. No one ever said it was going to be easy, I'm pretty sure it's going to be a huge pain but it's worth it to me, the harder you work for something the more rewarding it is when you succeed.

Hunting isn't about the killing, hunting is about the primal urge to pursue and provide food for yourself, your friends, your family and your community. Hunting should be respected and held with great care.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The way this year is going. You may have no snow.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
K
OP Offline
K
Haha that would be a good thing for me but a bad thing for the state, I see your a Coloradan, our state was been on fire all year! Not good!

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Really bad year. I live in Buena Vista, and we depend on the rafting to boost our economy. With no runoff to speak of. It's not good here.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Two things about the Gunnison area. 1. It is cold the 4th season and I'm talking Plenty Below, and 2. There is snow.Most years 18-25 ". Yep the elk stay in some areas.Most are private.

But have agood time

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
K
OP Offline
K
Sorry to hear that mauser_hunter, hope we get some moisture to turn that around for ya, saddlesore, I figured there would be snow and I am planning on it being very cold, it's right next to a dang ski resort do I'm figuring on some snow, how much who knows, last year was pretty bare as far as snow goes. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

M
M
Mauser Hunter you have a P.M.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have hunted nearly all my life across the street in 551. And its been 4th season since they created it (3rd before that). Don't count on weather, I've seen 3 feet, I've seen 60 degrees. But the weather will make your plan for you. Be ready for anything. If its dry and warm (which it has been more often then not for me a few miles away) I've usually seen cows in the 8-9k ft range in the early to mid mornings. At that time of year that herd won't really be a herd yet, should be bands of 2-6 cows, maybe a straggler young bull. Only saw a cow one time out in the open in late season Gunnison (and I shot her! bad choice of places to eat that day for her) everything else I've shot and nearly every animal my camp (up to 8 people usually) have shot have been in thick timber around the 7-9am times moving up or down from feeding/watering areas to bedding areas.

IC B3

K
OP Offline
K
MileHighShooter your the man! I really appreciate the insight! You hunting 551 this year?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I wont be around this weekend but happy to help if I can.

NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
4th rifle... bring a snow shovel.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

[email protected]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Kram,

No I'll be hunting in 54 2nd season this year but I'll probably go up to 551 for a few days to see my family that goes hunting there.
Like I said, might see snow, but might not. Honestly more often then not, it has NOT been all that snowy. Just a weird transition time in that part of the state for seasons. Be prepared for snow, but be prepared to try stalking through very dry, very loud debris. I've gotten to the point now that I don't normally hunt between 11am-3pm unless I'm working very far back to catch them getting up again in the evening. The one cow I shot out in the open was probably about 3pm. Almost every single animal I've seen in that general area and time, has been on the north slope...so find a good high vantage point on a south facing slope and glass glass glass and then glass some more. Pick apart every shadow, bush, tree line, and off color spot. When I hunt late season in that area now, I bring a spotting scope, get up high as early as possible and glass as much as I can see. If you find an animal, especially bedded down, just keep glassing for a good hidden approach. Be prepared for a couple hours of careful stalking if you spot one bedded down. Try to go sideways to the animal (helps to pick out landmarks to navigate) then up and come at the elk from the same elevation or above. I wouldn't try going "up" to the animal unless you are very sure you have cover. They'll be looking down

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

302 members (222Sako, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 35 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,308
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.