Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Went out G'hog hunting tonight. I went to a farmers field (about 200 acres) next to a new subdivision. Safest place to set up is : Obviously next to the sub division in a corner of the property shooting away from their property, into the field. I have always been sensitive to being perceived as a non-safe individual as anti-hunters are strong in this area. (Bedroom community subdivision about 15 miles from the city) But the farmer asked me to rid this area of G'hogs so I figured I would give it a try. Afetr 2 shots (and 2 g'hogs) a state cop who lives in the subdivision comes out, shows me his badge, and tells me to leave. I say I got permission and am not breaking any laws (True) BTW its in the county not the city - perfectly legal to shoot safely. He says if I don't leave I will be charged with 'wanton endangerment'. I asked Why? I'm not shooting towards any houses, or kids, or pets, & and I have a good backstop. he tells me how he saw this ak47 ricochet once. I tell him I use Ballistic tips (and tried to explain what they are) and a .223 (more quiet). besides I explain never heard of a richocet being 180 degrees. He said 'use live traps" - I said "hey- both you and I know they will be stolen in a couple of days" (he admitted I was correct). Finally I said, hey- you have the upper hand, Yes, if you & folks in the subdivision are truely afraid I will leave, and Did. Deep down he got a few calls and he personally just didn't want me there. Deep down I didn't want to go through the hassle of a possible court appearance. Did I do right???????

Red Baron
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would tell him you will use 22lr/22mag or a shotgun.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ya did right, but I'd be back again tonight!! Maybe ask the farmer ta join ya to shoot the [bleep], or a chuck or two, then let's see.

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You did the right thing by leaving, and not getting smart with they guy. As far as what you SHOULD do now is a hard call.
<br>
<br>I guess I'd tell the farmer what happened and plan my next move from his reaction. Some examples of what has happened to me in similar situtuations:
<br>
<br>1) a Deputy stopped me where I had permission to hunt 'chucks & yotes, and he started questioning my presence there. So, I asked for and wrote his badge #, and got on my cell phone and called the landowner and told him what was going on. The land owner asked to talk to the deputy, so I handed him the phone, and in short order the deputy handed it back and told me that he wouldn't bother me again as long as I was on George's property. To this day I don't know what was said, but apparently it was clear to the deputy that he wasn't to give me any grief.
<br>
<br>2) Very similar to the original post, I was hunting where a new housing development had started, I had permission, was asked to leave by a deputy stating that he had had 4 phone calls from concerned people in the development. There weren't that many 'chucks there, and I knew the landowner wouldn't back me, and that he was selling that field to a developer.... So, I took my show on the road and left.
<br>
<br>Good luck and let us know how it turns out. WD

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks all, Long story, I checked with Fish & Wildlife, Game warden, & the County Police (Cop gave me warning was state), and landowner. F&W and County Police & GW told me I had full right to hunt if safe. The county cop who knew property said it was safe. Property owner was PO'ed at State Policeman. He was almost thrown off tractor dropping into a new chuck hole while mowing this field. Also knew of a local who had a tractor turn over same situation.
<br>SOooooo - like a fool I called him last night and being polite tried to reason with state cop. State Cop told me this was the hazards of being a farmer. In no uncertain terms he told me if he hears a gun shot outside of his subdivision he will confisicate my gun, hand cuff me, have my truck towed away (at my expense), I WILL (special emphasis) go to jail, and be charged with Wanton Endangerment a FELONY (again special emphasis). I asked wasn't this False arrest - answer was no- he can charge me at any time.
<br>Today I spoke with Law Enforcement Officer a captain (I believe Fish and Game) whom is going to try to talk with this officer to see what the problem is. Bottomline though, State Cop has right to charge me again, and again, and again. I will have to face the hassle of court, get it dismissed and go through it until one of us gets frustrated enough to quit this silly business. BTW- to any cop/officer reading this - I am not putting all officers into this category. God Bless you all, YOU are among the true hero's of this world. Its like hunters, a slob hunter gives us all a bad name. I guess its the same thing with police.

Red Baron
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
IMPORTANT UPDATE:
<br>state Cop just called me (9:30pm my time) - He apologized!!!!! and told me he 'talked with his superiors, Co Attorney, etc" , and felt that he came on too strong and that I did indeed appear to be a safe person, have a legal right, and that we could reach a peaceable solution. His only concern was safety of the Neighborhood. and I appeared to be a safe minded person. - - VICTORY for us Gun Hunters!!!!!!
<br>Thanks all for your support.

Red Baron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Red Baron,
<br>
<br>Glad to see you saw it through. So many people lose hunting rights and privileges these days because they give up at the slightest hint of problems, even if in the right. I'm also glad that you pursued this in a calm and reasonable manner, which is of course the right thing to do, but many of us just don't seem to have the patience or temperament to do. Good Job!- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

<br>This is just the type of area where I think the .17 HMR would be perfect. Relatively quiet, no ricochet, and accurate to the distances you need to shoot in a restricted area. Any thoughts?- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks Sheister, great minds think alike. I looked at one yesterday.
<br> BTW- Vault is working out nicely, some odd water problems in a heavy storm (Amazing what/how water can travel in a heavy wind), if I had to do it over I would make the vault an 'Inner' room. But no problems with vault contents in 17 months other than a small leak undetected filled up on end of a scope (I sit rifle upright), crusted over the lenses but I cleaned it off carefully and it appears OK- a BIG statement for the quality of a new weaver.

Red Baron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am glad you stuck with it and got the misinformed officer off of his problem. I am afraid I would have just packed up and looked for a new hunting place. I don't like to shoot close to homes even if it is safe. It rattles some peoples nerves and I don't want to push anyone over to the antis side. The thing that would concern me most in that situation is this; If any fool comes along and shoots up something that should not be shot at you know who's going to catch the blame for it don't you? I think you were right in the way you handled that situation but I am not sure that continuing to shoot there is the best thing to do.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Red Baron,Good job and well handled on your part. If that State officer called you at home and appologized, you can bet someone above him really put some teeth in his a$$. Serves him right. I'm glad it worked out in your favor, but I am tempted to agree with PDS, It might be a good idea to expand your territory or limit your hunts there.
<br>
<br>All someone in that housing development has to do is (Lie) say they thought they heard a bullet flying over their house, and you may have another hassle on your hands.
<br>
<br>It is good that you stuck up for your rights as a hunter and sportsman (and I'm proud of you for that), but now that you have won out, be extra careful. Continued good luck. WD

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
PDS & WD - I'm way ahead of you both. I took off for Missouri last Saturday morning and just got back (didn't tell the cops). I ain't going near that place. My mother didn't raise any fools and I figure if something ever goes wrong, I'm up the river forever. Hopefully though, I handled it correctly and will do so in the future (meaning I will try live trapping - no guns) such that a officer of the law will not automatically abuse the privlege of being a lawman. Its a tough job.

Red Baron
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
WOW was that a serious a$$ chewing that gentleman received.
<br>I have used a Browning semi in 22 short for the type of situation you were in and boy ya have to listen real hard for the pop of this one.
<br>Worked real hard on safe angles and finally had people waving hello as they drove by instead of the dagger blades that were being looked before.
<br>However your approach was likely better.
<br>

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Red Barron, While I heartily support your RIGHT to shoot where you were, I am also a firm believer that the neighbors who live there also are entitled to their peaceful enjoyment of their lives. Now I know, before all of you others begin to flame me, that Red was in the right. I agree he was, but put yourself in the homeowners position. Would you like to have someone shooting a rifle near your home? I wouldn't, no matter how safe he was. The noise alone would be upsetting. Now don't get me wrong, those stupid folks who build near established rifle ranges and airports are out of luck in my mind. But, but, but, please keep the flames low, and have at me. All in all, Red, I think you are doing the right thing by finding another place to shoot. I don't see this issue as one of who is RIGHT in a legal sence, but rather, what is the right thing to do. Red, how would you like to be treated?

Rolly
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Rolly - interesting post. and the basis for the whole mess. I grew up in the country (missouri ozarks, 285 acres mostly woods) went to college and moved to the big city. Guess what - no shooting in the city limits. Not even a bow. I worked hard, bought some land, and finally realized my dream of moving to the county away from the big city BUT STILL in a subdivision. I worked harder & finally got 5 acres.
<br> Dove season is BIG here, but I don't hunt them, Guess what - they did so behind my subdivision plus rabbit hunted. I had no problems as long as they were safe, but I couldn't believe my neighbors comments and discussed it at length. Cops came out and explained to neighbors they (hunters) were in their rights AS LONG AS THEY WERE SAFE. To me that is the issue. A cops duty is to protect and serve, but primary duty is to enforce the LAWS of the land. Thats what its all about right? I vote in every election. And if enough folks change the law, I'm out a place to hunt. What about the Farmer and his rights? He almost was thrown from the tractor dropping a tire into a chuckhole. I've heard of several rollovers from chuck holes. In fact - I saw in the county paper today a farmer was killed in a tractor rollover? NO REASON GIVEN. But do we sacrifice his safety for some Noise issues?? Again, if I am unsafe - I fully expect to take the punishment. But as long as I follow safe procedures, and the law allows it. I'll be out there. I don't shot when children are outside, nor outside parties, nor odd hours. I shoot a .222 or .223 to keep noise down and use ballistic tips. I keep the gun hidden till ready to shoot and mostly sit in the truck. I have taken all safety training given by the state, and give lectures to 3rd graders (actually on vietnam, but include a section on awareness of danger). To me it seems that folks move to the country but if they don't like the stuff that goes along with it its a big issue. (Bad smells, bugs, skunks, even deer). Do we outlaw Cows??? Or incorporate Cow pooper scooper laws??
<br>BTW- hunting on public land quota hunts, scare me much more than a shot near my property line.
<br>cYa and good luck on any flames. (You or Me).

Red Baron
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
One more post, but I thought worth it. Local Chief of County Police gave me a call and asked to talk. Long story concerning his discussion with State cop but I won't boor you- Bottom line- He said I was within legal rights, & he would support me (as long as I was safe) but concerned over neighborhood 'perception problem' & said he would go with me and talk to the subdivision Neighborhood Association to convince them 1) I am within my legal rights if SAFE, & 2) There is a valid reason why G'hogs are 'removed' . Seems in the tractor accident I mentioned, while not fully proven this was the cause, there was a large chuckhole den in immediate area of tractor turnover - it was on a hillside.
<br>I though this was an excellent idea & thanked the chief (There are GOOD POLICEMEN). I informed him, actually asked him to write a report (watched him write it up), stating that I would not shoot near this property until we had done this.
<br>
<br>

Red Baron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Red, as I said, I believe you absolutely were within your rights to shoot. But, I also believe the others are within their rights to the peaceful enjoyment of their liberties. If you could bend on this one, I think you might be doing shooters all over a favor. Those who detest your shooting have already started causing you problems over the shooting. If and when they get the opportunity to get organized, they will be very willing to pass a county ordance to preclude shooting around, say 400 yards, of a structure. Then you and every other shooter could be viewed as the enemy of the poor homeowners. Nope, Red, even though, as I said, I think you were in the right, I'd do the right thing and move on to somewhere that you could shoot without bothering homeowners. Plus, do you really need the grief of having somebody on your ass when you are trying to concentrate?

Rolly
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks rolly for the reply. I'm frustrated. I'm about ready to sell all my guns and give in.
<br>***But, I also believe the others are within their rights to the peaceful enjoyment of their liberties.***** At the expense of mine?? and the farmer who owns the land?
<br>Is my shooting noise worse than a teenagers Band practice? Power mower on a sunday morning? Boom Box? squealing tires? Too fast cars in the neighbor hood?
<br>
<br> *****If you could bend on this one, I think you might be doing shooters all over a favor. Those who detest your shooting have already started causing you problems over the shooting. If and when they get the opportunity to get organized, they will be very willing to pass a county ordance to preclude shooting around, say 400 yards, of a structure. Then you and every other shooter could be viewed as the enemy of the poor homeowners.******
<br>"They" already did several years ago when the big cities and respective county they were in merged. And most subdivisions in the state have already passed these restrictions within their boundaries. No shooting guns, bows, bb guns, etc. Counties surrounding merged city/county are becoming bedroom communities and are already feeling the pressure to 'go to' city laws.
<br>
<br>**Nope, Red, even though, as I said, I think you were in the right,****
<br>Thank you.
<br>**** I'd do the right thing and move on to somewhere that you could shoot without bothering homeowners.***
<br>With all due respect - were would that be ?? I thought I did when I moved out of the City into the county.
<br>
<br>*** Plus, do you really need the grief of having somebody on your ass when you are trying to concentrate?*** Believe me, this situation has bothered me to the extent that I want to do one of 2 things. Send NRA the biggest check I can afford, or as said, say to Heck with it, sell guns, sit on the porch and listen to all those boom boxes and an occasional tractor going up and down the road.
<br>
<br>BTW- this is a low blow shot and probably in poor taste but please forgive me, but I swear its true. I was at a funeral visitation this week. I talked to the funeral director - local coroner, also a class mate of wife, semi-friend. He has investigated 5 tractor fatalities. G'hog holes were (in his opinion) the cause of 2 of those rollovers.
<br>
<br>Meanwhile, I haven't been back to subject land to shoot, tried to live trap and caught one Possum - thankfully no skunks or house pets, Checking them once every 24 hours is a real pain so I pulled the live traps.
<br>I checked out the new .17 bullet - low noise, etc but I believe that's not a solution as this cop just does not want ANY shooting.
<br>
<br>Rolly - Thanks agin, I respect your opinion and no disrespect meant, but I'm fast becoming discouraged to the point that I don't want anything to do with this.
<br>
<br>So friend - I guess you win.

Red Baron
Sorry to hear of your problem.
<br>
<br>Don't any of the folks in the sub-divison have gardens and want them "protected" ... lol
<br>
<br>Should you decide to resume the trapping, I have found that a combination Watermellon, Cantalope (sp?), and peaches seems to work the best.
<br>
<br>model99er
<br>
<br>

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks 99er - I thought this post was dead. I went back and tried more live trapping - got 1 with Green Beans as bait. But I really felt sorry for the G'hog. I checked trap every day, but still have a day job. It was late in a very hot day when I checked the trap. Poor G'hog was gasping it was so hot. I let him loose, didn't have the heart to shoot him. I never went back.
<br>Odd thing- now all the folks in the subdivision are pressing the county to do something with those darn- deer - too many vechicle wrecks. But they don't want them killed. Even had a few folks on bicycles hit a few.

Red Baron

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,190 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,086
Posts18,521,894
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.