Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L

Thinking hard about getting cc lic and was wondering what you guys use for every day carry? Gotta be small and light as I dont dress well enough to conceal a .45 daily.

Looking at s&w 638 or kahr 9mm but wanted other opinions

Top Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify Email Post

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Summertime with shorts and such I carry a Ruger LC9 or LCP depending on my concealed needs.....fall and winter I carry a Glock 27 in .40

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Pretty close to Boococky on my cc's.....scandi J-frame or G27. To me these two packages seem to be the most for the least and one or the other can be made to fit most any dress.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
a little off topic, but in my opinion a concealed carry license makes sense for just about anyone, whether you plan to actually carry or not.

i have one but almost never "carry". But i do like the fact that my Sp101 locked in my glove box or rifle in the rack behind the back seat or in a case underneath the back seat can't get me in trouble with an over zealous or perhaps uninformed LEO

if i wanted to carry i would have no qualms about doing so with my 3" SP101 in a simply rugged silver dollar pancake, using IWB straps and an untucked, long tailed shirt for summer carry

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I live in Florida where it is friggen hot all the time and carry a full size 1911 .45 ACP year round. It is easily concealed under a t-shirt in a Kelley Gun Leather IWB holster on an A&G Custom Gun Leather belt. If you want a small light gun you might consider a Diamond Back DB9 9mm or Ruger LC9 in autos or a Ruger LCR .357 in a revolver

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A good holster makes all the difference in what you can comfortably carry. I'd say that is more important than the size of the gun frame. Still, size and weight are very valid concerns.

I currently carry a Glock G-29 10mm, but am seriously considering switching to a G-19.

I work in the corporate world in Alabama so my dress ranges from suit and tie to shorts and flip flops. I have found that a good holster makes this possible.

For gym shorts that only have a loose fitting elastic band, I like the LC9 or PF-9 with the clip attachment on the side. Both guns are just as small as the kahr, with just as good if not better reliability reports, and about half the price. smile

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Smith M&P Shield in 9mm or 40 S&W with Cross Breed Super Tuck Holster

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Lubbock Dave,

I've carried a pistol everyday since 19 years of age, and continue to do so, every where I go. First as a young Marine MP and then through a long LE career, which ended this past January (retirement is AWESOME). I think you are on the right track with your choices.

No matter what my primary pistol was, my constant back up was always a hammerless, Airweight S&W, in a Kramer pocket holster carried either in my support side front or rear pocket.

The S&W was retired (sentimental reasons) and has been replaced by a Ruger LCR, which fits the same holster.

Even though I carry a LW Commander on a daily basis, I don't feel completely naked or under gunned when going out with the wife with a revolver in my front pocket and a speed strip in the watch pocket of my jeans.

If you decide on pocket carry here is what I would recommend and continue to do: For dress pants and slacks (uniform trousers, also) buy them one size larger and have them taken in at the waist to your proper size. Then have your tailor extend the pockets 1.5"-2". I have them extend all four, but you can go with one or two, only. The reason for this is that should you choose to carry in the rear pocket you are not sitting on it and causing lower back problems. It rides against your thigh, instead. In the front pocket it rides lower, also and will not bulge when sitting.

For jeans I always choose Wranglers (Levis are anti-gun)relaxed fit. I go with the proper waist size, as there is enought room for a revolver in a pocket holster in your front pocket. I find the pockets are deep enough that you don't have to have them modified. As an added bonus the watch pocket is a perfect place for a speed strip.

Buy a quality pocket holster, which breaks up the outline of the pistol/revolver. Never carry it in your pocket without one!! It's an accident waiting to happen. I'm extremely fond of the Kramer pocket holster. Yes, it's pricey. But, you buy quality once. I've had mine for 18+ years and other than re-dying it once a year, it is still in excellent shape.

As an instructor I see alot of people who don't give much thought on how or what they are going to carry. They don't consider their mode of dress and various seasons. Kudos to you for asking. I try to guide them in the right direction, but some of them have already read too many issues of Guns & BS magazines

They usually buy a large, full size handgun (there is nothing wrong with that)and find out that it is cumbersome and end up leaving it at home or in their vehicle.

For the average person a 5-shot revolver or a similar sized semi-auto will serve them well. You choices are right there.

That being said, I recently picked up an M&P Shield at a great price. With the 7 round magazine it rides nicely in the pocket. It feels good in the hand and shoots great. Once I run my required 500 rounds through it it will be a carry gun, also.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I carry a Glock 19 under either a tee shirt or Golf type shirt here in SW FL.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Summer or Winter, it is a full sized 1911 in a Milt Sparks VMII for me. If you wear jeans or jean shorts with a good belt you will have no problem.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I would say that you definitely want to use a good quality gun belt. Not just a thick belt but one designed specifically for carrying a gun

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Men, if i could make a humble suggestion, Pat [scenarshooter] makes a helluva belt for carry.

Very thick, yet attractive, and I cant make it twist up or bind in any way yanking pistols or revolvers from there holsters. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by pacecars
I would say that you definitely want to use a good quality gun belt. Not just a thick belt but one designed specifically for carrying a gun
+1000

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think a lot of it has to do with your level of experience and training when you start to carry and your lifestyle and mode of dress. Suggestions made in a vacuum may not work for you in reality.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The longer I've carried, the more I've gone toward lighter and smaller. I'm sure that's true for many. Most of the time I'm carrying one of the Kahr 9s and/or an LCP.

YMMV. Everyone's different. Some guys have the build to hide a howitzer and others have a difficult time hiding a full-size pistol.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gunner500
Men, if i could make a humble suggestion, Pat [scenarshooter] makes a helluva belt for carry.

Very thick, yet attractive, and I cant make it twist up or bind in any way yanking pistols or revolvers from there holsters. wink

Gunner

I use a Filson double layered belt. Guaranteed for life and $80 off the shelf with no wait.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Colt .45ACP Officer's Model. Comp-Tac IWB holster.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by OCSarge
Lubbock Dave,

I've carried a pistol everyday since 19 years of age, and continue to do so, every where I go. First as a young Marine MP and then through a long LE career, which ended this past January (retirement is AWESOME). I think you are on the right track with your choices.

No matter what my primary pistol was, my constant back up was always a hammerless, Airweight S&W, in a Kramer pocket holster carried either in my support side front or rear pocket.

The S&W was retired (sentimental reasons) and has been replaced by a Ruger LCR, which fits the same holster.

Even though I carry a LW Commander on a daily basis, I don't feel completely naked or under gunned when going out with the wife with a revolver in my front pocket and a speed strip in the watch pocket of my jeans.

If you decide on pocket carry here is what I would recommend and continue to do: For dress pants and slacks (uniform trousers, also) buy them one size larger and have them taken in at the waist to your proper size. Then have your tailor extend the pockets 1.5"-2". I have them extend all four, but you can go with one or two, only. The reason for this is that should you choose to carry in the rear pocket you are not sitting on it and causing lower back problems. It rides against your thigh, instead. In the front pocket it rides lower, also and will not bulge when sitting.

For jeans I always choose Wranglers (Levis are anti-gun)relaxed fit. I go with the proper waist size, as there is enought room for a revolver in a pocket holster in your front pocket. I find the pockets are deep enough that you don't have to have them modified. As an added bonus the watch pocket is a perfect place for a speed strip.

Buy a quality pocket holster, which breaks up the outline of the pistol/revolver. Never carry it in your pocket without one!! It's an accident waiting to happen. I'm extremely fond of the Kramer pocket holster. Yes, it's pricey. But, you buy quality once. I've had mine for 18+ years and other than re-dying it once a year, it is still in excellent shape.

As an instructor I see alot of people who don't give much thought on how or what they are going to carry. They don't consider their mode of dress and various seasons. Kudos to you for asking. I try to guide them in the right direction, but some of them have already read too many issues of Guns & BS magazines

They usually buy a large, full size handgun (there is nothing wrong with that)and find out that it is cumbersome and end up leaving it at home or in their vehicle.

For the average person a 5-shot revolver or a similar sized semi-auto will serve them well. You choices are right there.

That being said, I recently picked up an M&P Shield at a great price. With the 7 round magazine it rides nicely in the pocket. It feels good in the hand and shoots great. Once I run my required 500 rounds through it it will be a carry gun, also.

very nice reply!! I will check into the Kramer pocket holster. I appreciate the extra info my friend...

Dave

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Scott F
I use a Filson double layered belt. Guaranteed for life and $80 off the shelf with no wait.

I use the same. I have for close to 15 years now.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
"Small and light" means different things to different people.
My S&L is a SIG 220 Combat. Comes with night sights and heavily protected with phosphate or chrome linings on it's internal parts.
Even lighter, is my 5.7 FN with similat salt protection. Try 19 ozs. empty or 24 ozs. loaded with 11 rds. E

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,793
Posts18,496,180
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.